Team bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldogjem

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bonding: Mitch Brown, left, seen here taking on Akuila Uate, has been hanging with his team. Photo: Jonathan Carroll
ShareRead Later 0 comments Adjust font size
Boot camps, surfing lessons and team dinners have all been part of a player-led initiative at Canterbury in a bid to bond the squad.
Bulldogs players have embarked on a host of ''man dates'' this pre-season with two players expected to organise an outing for the playing squad each fortnight.
The activities have ranged from competing in Tough Mudder - an endurance obstacle course - to movie watching.
Advertisement

Winger Mitch Brown used his Sutherland shire connections to arrange for the team to hit the surf at Cronulla.
''Tim Lafai and a few of the guys that aren't the best at swimming or watersports struggled,'' Brown said. ''The surf was three to four foot, so it was a tough day.
''It's about keeping the team closer together off the pitch. In pre-season all you want to do is sleep when you finish training and no one really goes out on the weekends … so it's good to go out.
''We sort of did it last year but it faded away a little bit with the schedules and some of the boys having families.
''They are all pushing it a little bit more now, and it's a good excuse to go out of the house for a night or the afternoon. All the players' partners have their own get-togethers too.''
Coach Des Hasler was not among those to enter the surf. The events were generally for players only.
''It's just for the players to be us, without any pressure,'' Brown said. ''We've got a pretty much similar roster to last season so at the start of the pre-season there wasn't any awkwardness, or too many new faces.
''The new guys just slipped straight into the team.''
The Bulldogs have altered their pre-season training too, as they look to put an inconsistent year behind them. Cardiovascular training and doing drills under fatigue have been increased, as they aim to return to the form that led them to rise to grand finalists last year.
''As a group we are fitter,'' Brown said. ''Training has been very tough and I don't know if it has got anything to do with the [upcoming] Nine's tournament, but we are doing a lot more cardio and running.
''We are doing the same sort of things as last year, but we are doing a bit more running sessions.''
The Bulldogs failed to gain any real traction last season, highlighted by a first-week 22-6 loss to Newcastle in an elimination final. Brown said injuries to key players, including James Graham, Frank Pritchard and Sam Kasiano, to start last season's campaign did not help.
''Some games, we looked like the best team in the competition and others, like the worst,'' Brown said. ''It's just about consistency for us. [The focus] at training has been attention to detail. We've been really working on the little things. Dessie pointed out that our errors were pretty high.''
Brown enjoyed a solid season, missing just the Bulldogs' round-one match to play 24 games - the most in a season since his debut for Cronulla in 2006. While he cemented his spot on the wing, Brown, 26, wants to push to fill the fullback position vacated by Ben Barba.
He has spent part of the pre-season rotating at fullback alongside Sam Perrett, Drury Low, Pat Templeman and Corey Thompson.
''I'd put my hand up to play there,'' Brown said. ''I've played a fair bit there but it's up to Dessie and he is keeping his cards close to his chest.
''He … has had five or six of us rotating there at the back.''
ShareRead Later 0 comments Adjust font size
Ads by Google

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good to see the boys getting close. It's easier to put your body on the line for your team-mates if they're actually your real mates.
If Mitch brown plays fullback, he'd have to be the slowest fullback in the competition ! It's good to see templeman spending some preseason time in there but I don't think he's ready, in the finals last year, the team leant on him (heavily I'll admit) and he crumbled. If we don't buy someone, it'll be perret, unfortunately.

N

Natboy

That's funny because Mitch told me he hadn't trained at fullback at all & neither had Templeman & Perrett. That was 3-4 weeks ago though so who knows.
Glad we didn't have a Sonny Fai incident with Lafai!
I'm sure the Barba saga caused some division so it's good to see the guys bonding & hanging out

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mitch brown cannot be fullback and will be lucky to hold his spot ,he made so many errors last year ,hopefully sila mans up and realises his potential this year

N

Natboy

The best thing that can happen to Sila is when he plays with the big boys & hardens up his defence hey

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The best thing that can happen to Sila is when he plays with the big boys & hardens up his defence hey
Very true ,everyone on here bang on about his poor defence but all the under 20s players are the same ,barbas defence was terrible so was Konrad hurrell as well ,a stint in nsw cup always helps them step up a bit before 1st grade ,hes a super talent i really hope he realises his potentiol

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's funny because Mitch told me he hadn't trained at fullback at all & neither had Templeman & Perrett. That was 3-4 weeks ago though so who knows.
Glad we didn't have a Sonny Fai incident with Lafai!
I'm sure the Barba saga caused some division so it's good to see the guys bonding & hanging out
Mitch told you? That's a pretty solid source ... Hail Natboy .. lol

N

Natboy

Haha I posted it at the time but should've wrote, source = horses mouth :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Sila can not read the play while in defence. This will take a while to correct or he may never. Others previously coming through the grades had poor tackling technique and were just lazy in defence, thats why they made a quicker transmission. I dont think sila will play firstgrade till atleast 2015, however he is a insanely powerfull with good speed. IF he does fix his defensive issues i have no doubt he would become the best winger in the comp. Big if though....

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great to see the boys getting out together. Hope it eliminates any divisions that were left over by rat boi.
just a quick reminder to mr brown... To play fullback you must attack the ball in the air or be the first too it on the ground without any hesitation!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Also just thinking of our backline, if sila does fix his issues. We could possibly have the most powerfull 2-5 in the league. Would be near unstopable within our opposition 20.

N

Natboy

Also just thinking of our backline, if sila does fix his issues. We could possibly have the most powerfull 2-5 in the league. Would be near unstopable within our opposition 20.
I hope you're right mate because this year they wouldn't have been able to break the line if they were driving a bulldozer

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great to see the boys getting out together. Hope it eliminates any divisions that were left over by rat boi.
just a quick reminder to mr brown... To play fullback you must attack the ball in the air or be the first too it on the ground without any hesitation!
Also brown needs to catch the ball ,he drops the ball a hell of a lot

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I hope you're right mate because this year they wouldn't have been able to break the line if they were driving a bulldozer
Haha yh im pretty confident des has got it right for the coming seasons. He got the players build and fitness wrong last season and he has made adjustments as can been seen in the photos of our players current state. I got my money on lafai having his breakout season if he stays injury free. He is looking huge atm.

N

Natboy

Yeah I'm pretty confident too actually. I don't think we will win but we will be a lot more consistent & not rely on one player so much in attack

Bulldog John

Since 1935
Reaction score
I think we'll see much improved Bulldogs in '14. We didn't get out of second gear all year and we still finished in sixth.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Also brown needs to catch the ball ,he drops the ball a hell of a lot
Are you just saying stuff coz u hate brown? I watched every game last year and i have no idea what you are talking about. He didnt make any more mistakes than anyone else last year. Is he your scape goat?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Idk if its just me but every time i see the title i think it says "team bondage"....

Status
Not open for further replies.