Storm sign Kasiano, Bulldogs to help pay food bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why Bulldogs giant Sam Kasiano took pay cut to join Melbourne Storm next season
IT’S not every day you hear of a Test star taking a pay cut while still under contract but that’s exactly what Sam Kasiano has done.

The Canterbury giant’s manager, Mario Tartak, confirmed to the Fox Sports Market Watch podcast that the 26-year-old will leave the kennel at season’s end for a fresh start in Melbourne.

He also revealed that the man affectionately known as ‘Dogzilla’ has taken a hit to the back pocket to do so and he wasn’t short of suitors.

With the Dogs under financial pressure following the pricey signings of Aaron Woods and Kieran Foran for next season, Kasiano was one of the players to receive a tap on the shoulder.

Live stream the 2017 NRL Telstra Premiership on FOX SPORTS. Get your free 2-week FOXTEL NOW trial and start watching in minutes. SIGN UP NOW!

It was an opportunity he embraced with the chance to start in the front row the driving force behind his decision to leave Belmore.

While the 196 centimetre big man attracted interest from the Dragons, Eels and Warriors, it was over a coffee with Storm coach Craig Bellamy that Kasiano decided to take a pay cut and make the move to the Storm next season on a three-year-deal.

Sam Kasiano of the Bulldogs and Will Chambers of the Storm face off.Source: Getty Images
“I can announce that Sam Kasiano has definitely signed with the Melbourne Storm for a three year deal,” Tartak told the Market Watch podcast.

“That’s going to start from next year — 18, 19 and 20. Craig Bellamy flew us down. (Sam) and his wife and they were ecstatic with how the club was run and Melbourne itself. Sam’s looking forward to making the switch.

“We had offers from, I’ll give you an idea, the Dragons, Parra and the Warriors.

Ben Ikin, Nathan Ryan and Ben Glover are joined by player-manager Mario Tartak to discuss Benji Marshall, Sam Kasiano and who the NRL’s next super coach might be.

You can also subscribe via iTunes or for Android users, listen on the iPP Podcast Player app.

“Sam actually took a pay cut to be at the Melbourne Storm. That’s how much he actually liked it.”

Kasiano is the latest Bulldog to head for the exit as part of the club’s signing spree which also saw Josh Reynolds take up an offer with the Wests Tigers from next season.

It’s likely at least one more player will be forced out of the Dogs who have recently re-signed fullback Will Hopoate, winger Marcelo Montoya and backrower Adam Elliott all until the end of 2020.

HOW REALITY ‘BLINDSIDES’ THE BULLDOGS

Graham goes under knife

0:52
Speculation continues to run rife around the future of James Graham despite multiple denials that the skipper will leave at the end of the season.

But it’s certain Kasiano will.

Market Watch first broke the news of the Storm’s interest in Kasiano in May, earmarking the big bopper as the ideal candidate to replace North Queensland bound prop Jordan McLean.

With his Bulldogs deal worth $700,000 next season, the Dogs are expected to contribute to his pay packet in 2018.

So why the pay cut? And how did Craig Bellamy beat the other clubs to his signature?

Bulldogs prop Sam Kasiano in action.Source: News Corp Australia
Tartak said the pitch was simple.

“When we had a coffee at Bellamy’s favourite cafe, Bellamy’s pitch was that he knew what Sam was capable of,” Tartak said.

“He wants to take it back to when he became (Dally M) Prop of the Year (in 2012), when he was a starting prop and he was terrorising teams.

“With the Dogs, being used off the bench. I think Sam’s always wanted to start. It’s horses for courses. Every coach has their own game plan but Sam is looking forward to this opportunity.”

Last edited by a moderator:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
700k hahahahaha. This club is truly fuked for paying Sam that much money, now we still have to pay him to play for another club. Absolute fucking idiots. I hate these *****.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not surprised he left. I'm betting that Bellamy will make him a force to be reckoned with. Fortunately everyone knows his greatest weakness. Run behind him shouting "Sammy, I'm open" and he'll pass you the ball no matter who you are.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
700k for kasiano when we already have Graham, tolman and Klemmer but 0k could be found for Finucane and Taupau.

Thanks for completely fucking the club for the future and present Hasler and co!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm sorry i still can't get over this...

HOW THE FUCK CAN DES JUSTIFY PAYING KASIANO SEVEN FUCKING HUNDRED FUCKING THOUSAND FUCKING DOLLARS TO PLAY THIRTY FUCKING TWO FUCKING MINUTUES OFF THE FUCKING BENCH?!

IN WHAT FUCKING UNIVERSE DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?! HOW THE FUCK IS THIS IDIOT A ONE FUCKING MILLION FUCKING DOLLAR PLUS COACH? FUCK.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Bellamy will turn him into a superstar I think it will be pretty much the same as he is here. George Rose is pretty much the same shape as Kas and he did nothing down there. Kas hates hard work and that won't change.

Also if the interchange reduces by 2 again the Storm are well a truely stuffed with the amount of big men they have.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
It's been talked about heaps but we all know what is going to happen when Bellamy gets him into and shape...
Yeah...the George Rose factor :P I don't see it happening. Kasiano will be pining for Belmore where he had a cushy job and over inflated pay packet within a month of arriving in Melbourne I reckon. Anyone who can lose that much weight for a wedding and pile it all back on within a few weeks of the season ain't a professional. I loved kas for his X factor but he could have been anything in this game and the main person to blame for his failure to live up to expectations is himself.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Jog on fat fuck. Had ample opportunities to show his worth here and couldn't even stay in shape as a fucking professional footballer. Our management are fucking morons for being so lax with him and still paying him stupid money

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
He will kill it under bellamy and show how much of a fraud hasler is
Hasler is a fraud but so is any pro footy player who keeps in "shape" like Kas does tbh. No great loss. Bellamy will tire of him huffing and puffing as more agile and dedicated players run around him, of watching his passes hit the grass and of watching him run 20m a game over the space of 2 runs in no time.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
What a fat heap of nothing.

He should leave now and do us all a favour.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is there any doubt left that this club has been run atrociously? We are a complete and utter mess. Gonna take years to recover and the process has yet to begin because they are still in denial.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
1. BULLSHIT he took a pay cut. Actually maybe he did, but became the sudden owner of a new caravan and boat.
2. FUCK YOU BULLDOGS ... why are we contributing ANYTHING to his contract. If he's signed with Melb we terminate his contract and it starts afresh with them.
3. Hows the salary cap Melbourne? Was Cronk on $3 million a season suddenly?

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the key thing to take out of this is that Sam wants a starting position so it would naturally conclude that hasler has coached him and his fitness for an IMPACT ROLE ONLY.

Sam's fitness issues seem to fall on hasler again

Fuck hasler

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. BULLSHIT he took a pay cut. Actually maybe he did, but became the sudden owner of a new caravan and boat.
2. FUCK YOU BULLDOGS ... why are we contributing ANYTHING to his contract. If he's signed with Melb we terminate his contract and it starts afresh with them.
3. Hows the salary cap Melbourne? Was Cronk on $3 million a season suddenly?
We are contributing because he was signed for us in 2018. Storm have more negotiating power due to the situation as we need to offload players.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
We wanted him gone, and we were dumb enough to have him locked in for another year. Any club that took him was going to take full advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.