Salary Cap Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This from MMM this afternoon.

It is just so ridiculous the cap isn't known at least 5 years out on a rolling basis - ie: we should already know the 2022 cap. Even if the NRL has to build up a buffer and keep wage rises lower for a couple of years, it at least gives clubs somethnig to work with...

Reports 11 Clubs Are Going To Be In Salary Cap Strife
Whoops

Natalie Shoebridge

4 Mins

Paul Kent has reported on NRL 360 this week that up to 11 clubs are over the salary cap due to the ambiguity surrounding the figure for 2018.

Originally, predictions for the cap were around the $10 million mark, however it seems as though the actual number will be much less.

As the figure is yet to be finalised, there may be a huge discrepancy between what clubs have budgeted for and what they can legally spend.

"It's a juggling act," Triple M and the Australian's Brent Read said on Triple M's Dead Set Legends.

"An indicative figure is $9.2 million...but the RLPA want some stuff removed from this, such as cars and the long-serving player allowance. At the moment the NRL are saying that only two clubs are over the cap and are denying that it's 11 at the figure that's currently on the table."

According to Ready, the two clubs are believed to be the Bulldogs and the Raiders.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
wipes brow.

Thank heavens the salary cap doesn't include my team.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If these journos claim to know this.. name the clubs.

We get these articles every single year and nothing ever happens to most teams.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

They did....at the bottom it says Bulldogs and Raiders.
OMG...how much are we paying our duds? What a joke our club has become!

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
This from MMM this afternoon.

It is just so ridiculous the cap isn't known at least 5 years out on a rolling basis - ie: we should already know the 2022 cap. Even if the NRL has to build up a buffer and keep wage rises lower for a couple of years, it at least gives clubs somethnig to work with...

Reports 11 Clubs Are Going To Be In Salary Cap Strife
Whoops

Natalie Shoebridge

4 Mins

Paul Kent has reported on NRL 360 this week that up to 11 clubs are over the salary cap due to the ambiguity surrounding the figure for 2018.

Originally, predictions for the cap were around the $10 million mark, however it seems as though the actual number will be much less.

As the figure is yet to be finalised, there may be a huge discrepancy between what clubs have budgeted for and what they can legally spend.

"It's a juggling act," Triple M and the Australian's Brent Read said on Triple M's Dead Set Legends.

"An indicative figure is $9.2 million...but the RLPA want some stuff removed from this, such as cars and the long-serving player allowance. At the moment the NRL are saying that only two clubs are over the cap and are denying that it's 11 at the figure that's currently on the table."

According to Ready, the two clubs are believed to be the Bulldogs and the Raiders.
And I bet my life Rorters and Bronks are not at the 11 clubs over the cap

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
And they wrote proudtobeabulldog after it. The people on the social media area of club surely are work experience kids from a local nuff nuff centre

They have time to be cap compliant. We still don't know the exact cap for next year... so teams are probably waiting for that before making decisions about culling players.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs Have To Shed Some Players To Become Cap Compliant - And There's A Rumour That A Big Name Recruit Is Checking Out Other Options

Speaking on Triple M's Dead Set Legends, Triple M and the Australian's Brent Read has revealed that the Bulldogs will have to cut some players to bring themselves under the cap.

While Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods are the most recent additions to the side for 2018, it will be other members of the squad who will be cut loose in order to comply with requirements when the salary cap amount is settled.

"They've gone out and bought Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods, so I don't think they were necessarily banking on $10 million - they were banking on a figure much further beyond that," Ready said.

"Their contracts will not be registered until they get under the salary cap.

"As I understand it, the Dogs have spoken today to Kieran Foran's management and Aaron Woods' management, and both of those blokes are still saying that they're committed to the club."

While there was originally talk that Woods and Foran would be casualties in the Bulldogs' attempt to get under the cap, this was dispelled during the week.

However, Ready said that there were still rumours saying otherwise.

"I heard a rumour this week that Kieran Foran's management was actually ringing other clubs," he said.

"As it stands right now, they will have to shed some players."

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...-is-checking-out-other-options?station=sydney

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Ready is a bullshit artist.

"I think"
"I understand"
"As it stands"
"I heard a rumor"

All statements which amount to "I've no fucking idea and am just talking out my arse"

The media claim 11 clubs are over, then only name two?

And I can't see how we are remotely close to being over when:
1. The cap had not been announced for 2018.
2. No journo is going to know our cap situation, nor our players salaries.

It's about time rugby league journos got back to doing what they get paid to do.... reporting on rugby league, not making up lies.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just proves how much of a joke the nrl is for keeping all the clubs guessing how much the cap is going to be. Probably the worst Comp run in the world of sport

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It just proves how much of a joke the nrl is for keeping all the clubs guessing how much the cap is going to be. Probably the worst Comp run in the world of sport
Oh I don't know. AFL has been playing all this season without a cap and the way they treated the peptides issues was an international disgrace. And then there is Cricket Australia.....How about the flare chuckers? Only got a $40m TV deal and can't even work out what to do with those crumbs and there are only 10 teams that play each other 20 times a season. Is the NBL still going? On balance the NRL is world class.

nøjø

New Pup
Reaction score
How about we just keep all of our current players and not recruit anyone and then our issues will go away. Des is a capable coach who can lead this current pack of athletes to premierships, questioning otherwise would be idiotic.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL is a joke.. this situation of the salary cap being unknown for next year is plain rediculous and wouldnt be tolerated in any other sporting competition anywhere else in the world

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The NRL is a joke.. this situation of the salary cap being unknown for next year is plain rediculous and wouldnt be tolerated in any other sporting competition anywhere else in the world
Except the AFL where they have played all year without a salary cap and the cricket where they have been going all year trying to settle it and only done so this week.....Perhaps you forget the NBA a few years ago where the entire season was pretty much abandoned due to pay disputes. Need I go on.....

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Except the AFL where they have played all year without a salary cap and the cricket where they have been going all year trying to settle it and only done so this week.....Perhaps you forget the NBA a few years ago where the entire season was pretty much abandoned due to pay disputes. Need I go on.....
Pay disputes go on in any sport .. the NRLs inability to decide on a salary cap has got nothing to do with anyone but their own incompetence

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay disputes go on in any sport .. the NRLs inability to decide on a salary cap has got nothing to do with anyone but their own incompetence
So you overlook the fact that the AFL has played all season without an approved salary cap? You ignore the problems with cricket that have led to the cancellation of one tour and almost another? The Salary cap problem is of the players associations doing. The NRL produced a salary cap months ago and the RLPA can't get its act together to resolve the issue. It's not the NRL it's the players who are the problem.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
P
So you overlook the fact that the AFL has played all season without an approved salary cap? You ignore the problems with cricket that have led to the cancellation of one tour and almost another? The Salary cap problem is of the players associations doing. The NRL produced a salary cap months ago and the RLPA can't get its act together to resolve the issue. It's not the NRL it's the players who are the problem.
I dont ignore anything.. the fact other codes have problems has got nothing to do with the NRLs incompetence...

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
P

I dont ignore anything.. the fact other codes have problems has got nothing to do with the NRLs incompetence...
So when you started this by saying that no other major code in the world would have these problems and I responded by pointing out several of them you change tac to talk about the NRL being incompetent with the salary cap when it is in fact the RLPA who are delaying things as the NRL has provided all clubs and players with a proposal months ago? I'm missing the bit about the NRL being incompetent? They've done everything ahead of schedule and consistent with the capacity to pay. All good to be annoyed that it hasn't been finalised, but lay the blame where it belongs - with the players and their managers.

Status
Not open for further replies.