5/8's at Canterbury

1. Mbye
2. Brown
3. Cleeland

Cleeland will be lucky to get a run...

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In mbyes defence, halfs generally have more handling errors than most because of the amount of times they receive the ball, but see your point!

Cooper Cronk, the games premier 7 you could say has
90 games 61 errors ...... just saying
I wasn't making a point, I was just putting up the stats so people could make their own mind up.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
5/8's at Canterbury

1. Mbye
2. Brown
3. Cleeland

Cleeland will be lucky to get a run...
Mbye might get moved next year perhaps. Maybe to FB, maybe elsewhere. Hes versatile and can play other positions. Brown is also a 9 backup, and probably can backup other positions also. So theres space there for Cleeland to get a run. To pay enough to keep a player who could get a FG start elsewhere, you would think hes in the plans somewhere. He is a good player. Not sure how far down the batting order Holland is but hes not in the top 17 currently i would think. So MBye needs goalkicking practice most in the offseason.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need a running halfback with a bit of zip like Cleeland.....have some faith in the kid....he will compliment Foran really well.....yes it’s a big step up from nsw cup....but this kid has the goods....I think pay can get the best out of him

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbye might get moved next year perhaps. Maybe to FB, maybe elsewhere. Hes versatile and can play other positions. Brown is also a 9 backup, and probably can backup other positions also. So theres space there for Cleeland to get a run. To pay enough to keep a player who could get a FG start elsewhere, you would think hes in the plans somewhere. He is a good player. Not sure how far down the batting order Holland is but hes not in the top 17 currently i would think. So MBye needs goalkicking practice most in the offseason.
Why would anyone move the best 5/8 at the club to test him in a position he hasn't played in for years... Mbye aint no Inlgis and would be at best a Tyrone Roberts at the back. As for the goal kicking I'm quite excited to see how Mbye improves over the offseason as we all saw how he learnt to start curving the ball, maybe the next Hazem or JT on the cards?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Anyone remember a bloke called Ben Barba?

Started as a half and became a devastating fullback.

Moses cover defence is excellent, he's proven this before mowing down some of the fastest in the game. He doesn't have the bulk/weight of most big fullbacks and is untested under the high ball.

For me:
Mbye
Bmoz
Jmoz
Hoppa
Montoya
Cleeland
Foran
Then lichaa at 9 with Brown on bench.
Hes even made some of the worst errors ive ever seen gifting players a 10-15m headstart and he's turned and ran them down XD. So yeah with a bit of experience i hold alot of hope for him. Still the RTS rumour has me questioning this move now.

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Id like to see you guys referring to him as just 'Steamer' if possible, hes already my favourite dogs player behind Mariner.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch his highlights on YouTube.

He can step, kick, throw a cut out pass, support, and has pace but Des never thought he was worth a try in first grade because we were just so good in attack weren't we ?. What a fucking idiot. From what I've read Des probably never watched him play. Des never took interest in anyone who wasn't a regular first grader and treated lower graders like strangers apparently.

wow a five eighth that straightens up the attack and doesnt trip anyone ***** a unicorn

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
PAY KEEPS HALF IN KENNEL

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has intervened on the poaching bid of rival clubs for talented half Josh Cleeland.

After claiming yet another ISP NSW five-eighth of the year gong, clubs were lining up to lure Cleeland out of Belmore but Pay has knocked those talks on the head.

The new coach has a high opinion of the playmaker and plans to use him in 2018, which means he won’t be leaving the Bulldogs.
This is what we have been crying out for, I can't wait to see players now play out of their skin to warrant a 1st grade spot. Bloody hell thats what you expect in a work place, fighting for a spot

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
His played more games at Halfback and 5/8 than hooker so you might want to recheck your info.
16 games in halves, 8 at hooker/bench hooker.

His junior footy was primarily at dummy half.

I doubt Hasler had plans to play him in the halves here.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
16 games in halves, 8 at hooker/bench hooker.

His junior footy was primarily at dummy half.

I doubt Hasler had plans to play him in the halves here.
His a Mr fix it... Good back up for injuries and will be a great utility for us where ever he plays.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Anyone remember a bloke called Ben Barba?

Started as a half and became a devastating fullback.

Moses cover defence is excellent, he's proven this before mowing down some of the fastest in the game. He doesn't have the bulk/weight of most big fullbacks and is untested under the high ball.

For me:
Mbye
Bmoz
Jmoz
Hoppa
Montoya
Cleeland
Foran
Then lichaa at 9 with Brown on bench.
Yeah but I reckon he is more a Billy Slater type speed and build and he goes alright at fullback. I’d go with your side above but let brown and Cleeland fight it out for the 6

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay didn't have 'to keep him'. He already had a contract for next year with us.

Just off season paper talk because journos are bored.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay didn't have 'to keep him'. He already had a contract for next year with us.

Just off season paper talk because journos are bored.
He was gone.. he even said it himself like we lost the guy and then we even threw him a farewell.... lol

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He was gone.. he even said it himself like we lost the guy and then we even threw him a farewell.... lol
He could only go if we released him, and we hadn't. For a contract to be voided like that both side have to agree and the club had never agreed to release.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Josh Cleeland has deficiencies in defence but with hard work, some attention to detail and the knowledge of the possibility of a game or two in first grade that can be fixed.

He showed positive attributes in attack, backing up and creating chances for his team mates in Intrust, yes it is a different beast to first grade, but was never going to get a run whilst Des was around. It would be heartening to hear the incoming coach let you know that you were in his plans and that at least there was the possibility of a run in the top grade.

http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...r-intrust-super-nrl/306lqq2k9gs41oa6vkjphl034

The Bulldogs may be in a halves crisis, but in the lower grade Josh Cleeland was named at five-eighth in a standout season which further questions Des Hasler's selection choices as his struggling side sits 12th on the ladder, looking for answers as the worst attacking side in the competition.

http://www.nrl.com/nswrl-name-2017-isp-team-of-the-year/tabid/10874/newsid/111570/default.aspx
6 – Josh Cleeland
Club: Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs; 2017 TOTW selections: 8.

12 tries, 10 try assists, 13 line-breaks, 57 tackle-breaks.
Josh Cleeland has been a shining light for the on-fire Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs in season 2017; whenever he has the ball in hand, he is a massive threat to any opposition defensive unit. He’s formed a wonderful halves combination with Lachlan Lewis that has seen the Bulldogs cement a top four position after a slow start to the year, and is the most dangerous player to keep your eye on in the finals. Success seems to follow Cleeland, who steered Ipswich to a premiership two years ago, and took the Newtown Jets to a preliminary final last year where he was also named as five-eighth of the year. No doubt Josh Cleeland is incredibly close to an NRL debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.