Paul the fat man Vautin sacked from the footy show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Plenty of Wit about the Matty johns show...
If that's what you're into mate. I think Matty Johns is as dumb as a post and about as funny as one too personally. We is all different! haha

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
They're trying too hard to get females onboard by slowly softening NRL so that it resembles AFL.
Wolfy if you were 10 years younger, unmarried and didn't have kids.....................

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I don't mind Johns' show tbh. There's a a lot of stupid funny stuff (i'm a stupid funny stuff kinda guy), some funny stuff and some actual footy stuff.
Fair enough mate. It just doesn't do it for me. I've never found Matty Johns funny. I think he is almost at Beau Ryan's level of annoying.....I just don't think footy players should be entrusted with producing comedy shows..... Then again I don't rate most of the comedy produced by professional comedy writers, so it's not surprising footy/ comedy variety shows leave me a bit cold.

I don't think Matthew Johns is very talented. From what I've seen he just regurgitates and recycles old jokes everyone has heard a million times at the pub. He's no Michael Palin or John Cleese, that's for sure.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair enough mate. It just doesn't do it for me. I've never found Matty Johns funny. I think he is almost at Beau Ryan's level of annoying.....I just don't think footy players should be entrusted with producing comedy shows..... Then again I don't rate most of the comedy produced by professional comedy writers, so it's not surprising footy/ comedy variety shows leave me a bit cold.

I don't think Matthew Johns is very talented. From what I've seen he just regurgitates and recycles old jokes everyone has heard a million times at the pub. He's no Michael Palin or John Cleese, that's for sure.
The comedy on the show comes from Fletch and Hindmarsh. They make a good combo on the show.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
At the very least the Matty Johns show has a lot of footy talk in it

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
This is the worst show on 9. I stopped watching this nonsense many years ago. Makes no difference in my life.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
they could have shown him some respect. At least made it official last year so they could send him off.

Darryl Brohman was terrible. He should have been punted first week. Just sits there with his fat face giggling but no noise coming out.

They should pick up fatty on Fox sports. get rid of Matt shervington

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
They're trying too hard to get females onboard by slowly softening NRL so that it resembles AFL.
I don't think it's even an internal NRL thing....I think it's an external, media landscape thing....there is pressure on all forms of media to be more diverse these days. Which i why the push for diversity spans different codes and areas of media I guess.
The comedy on the show comes from Fletch and Hindmarsh. They make a good combo on the show.
I've watched it a bit and honestly I think they are both unfunny gooses. It's just not my type of humour mate. I'm not a fan of footy discussion shows though. If they aren't actually televising a game I'm not interested. I don;'t see why we look to athletes to provide comedy in this society by the way....many more talented writers and comedic talents would kill for that chance and our TV content would improve as a result if we focused on people with talent and not just people who were already popular enough to drag fans over from another demographic. I am an aspiring comedy writer, so I'm pretty passionate about the subject. I think comedy and the arts suffer for lack of nourishment in this country....we are too sports centric already IMO....that obsession shouldn't be crossing over into mainstream variety entertainment.

Call me a snob if you like, but I don't think I am....just a comedy fan who feels the arts need more nurturing in this country.

Footy comedy just isn't for me and I can get my footy news on the kennel. I don't personally need TV for that.

To each their own though. I get that the show appeals to some and they may find my views snobby...haha

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that's what you're into mate. I think Matty Johns is as dumb as a post and about as funny as one too personally. We is all different! haha
Interesting you say that. Don't have fox now so don't see his show anymore, but when I did watch it, as a panel I found the show interesting and amusing. Think the funny person on that show was Bryan Fletcher though. Never found Matty Johns funny at all and don't find his views on football particularly interesting or inciteful. He comes across as very basic.

Even though he has his agendas at times, am far more interested in what Andrew Johns has to say about football than his brother. That's why I don't mind the pre and post match coverage of games with Johns and Gould.

Sunday Footy show I can watch but it also is too drawn out with some time filling rubbish. Keep it just to game reviews, previews, guest players, super league update and Qld Cup updates and you have the right mix.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Interesting you say that. Don't have fox now so don't see his show anymore, but when I did watch it, as a panel I found the show interesting and amusing. Think the funny person on that show was Bryan Fletcher though. Never found Matty Johns funny at all and don't find his views on football particularly interesting or inciteful. He comes across as very basic.

Even though he has his agendas at times, am far more interested in what Andrew Johns has to say about football than his brother. That's why I don't mind the pre and post match coverage of games with Johns and Gould.

Sunday Footy show I can watch but it also is too drawn out with some time filling rubbish. Keep it just to game reviews, previews, guest players, super league update and Qld Cup updates and you have the right mix.
Interesting perspectives mate....we definitely agree on Matty Johns....

I'm just not personally a big fan of the footy/ variety show format in any shape really....I think the Sunday Footy Show would be the best of the three if as you say, they would just cut down some of the crap, streamline it and keep it to an informative show about footy. Fletch can be funny, I'm sure....plenty of athletes no doubt have a good sense of humour....but I still find it sad we have athletes dominating entertainment based tv formats. Then again, in America they have soulless cardboard cutouts who masquerade as comedians, whilst going through the motions as generic laugh tracks are used to cover up for the pronounced lack of humour in the scripts they are reading, so I guess greed and the desire to mass produce as much crap as posible can be just as destructive to the concept of quality entertainment as combing the arts and football.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
So the show finally realised the way to lift female interest in the show wasnt just to make sure Beau Ryan took his gear of at least once a week. So sick of that guy. I though his Paul Gallen impersonation is the only funny thing hes done since hes been there, outside that, stop taking your fkn cloths off beau, we dont wanna see that.

the show is tired, and way too long. They need to strip all the replaying of old footy show segments, the stupid segments, and just speak about the games last week, the games this week, maybe a comp or 2, and Bromans small talk, and fit it into no more than 1 hour. It would be much better. I havent been able to sit through an episode of the footy show from start to finish (up to 2.5 hours later) in a decade.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah don't watch the Footy Show.
But Fatty commentating on the games just means more and more people will watch foxsports..
Fatty is no good as a commentator.
Awful, with Hadley ch9 are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
Why don't they piss off these dinosaurs and give some new blokes a go.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Matty Johns - when they talk league is entertaining. Fletch and Hindy come across a trying WAY too hard to be funny. Their segments are very hit and miss.

Professors Second Year Syndrome - 95% cringeworthy shit with the odd laugh. If it went it's no loss.

NRL 360 - panel of self absorbed opinionated wankers who think they have inside goss.

Footy Show (9) - funniest part was crack a fat... and that was years ago.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lack of footy discussion turned me off massively. It turned into garbage segments one after the other. I find the matty john's show 10x better. They actually have good discussions about footy and have the right mix of comedy

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah don't watch the Footy Show.
But Datty commentating on the games just means more and more people will watch foxsports..
Fatty is no good as a commentator.
Awful, with Hadley ch9 are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel.
Why don't they piss off these dinosaurs and give some new blokes a go.
They would be better off hiring Graeme Hughes than Hadley or Fatty

Status
Not open for further replies.