Paul the fat man Vautin sacked from the footy show

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fatty axed from NRL Footy Show as Channel Nine revamps format

NRL television stalwart Paul ‘Fatty’ Vautin is being punted from Channel Nine’s Footy Show after 23 years and 11 Logies.

The longest-serving host on Australian television will be restricted to commentary box duties at live NRL games in 2018 with the network to groom glamorous star Erin Molan as his replacement.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal The Footy Show will be expanded next year to broadcast in a new timeslot on Monday night, then Thursday night and Sunday lunchtime.

The move to replace 58-year-old Vautin and promote Molan is a tactical manoeuvre by the network to win back female fans who have deserted the Footy Show and switched to Fox Sports where Yvonne Sampson heads up an impressive line-up of women presenters.

“I’m not sure what the show will look like next year but I am so grateful for the past six seasons alongside Fatty, Big Marn, Beau and Glenn (Pallister) and the whole team,” Molan said.

“I love them. They couldn’t have treated me better or made me feel more welcome. They are family and whatever happens always will be.”

The Channel Nine Footy Show crew Beau Ryan, Erin Molan, Paul Vautin and Daryl Brohman won’t be together in 2018. Picture: Gregg Porteous
Nine’s Footy Show ratings have slipped to an all-time low this year, often to as bad as 80,000 viewers compared to the halcyon days when it regularly pulled in audiences of around 370,000.

Vautin is on a family holiday in the United States and did not return phone calls or text messages.

The futures of the stars of the show remain uncertain.

The highest paid panellist Beau Ryan has two years to run on his contract.

Vautin and Molan are both free agents at the end of the 2018 season.

Darryl ‘Big Marn’ Brohman is off contract now.

“I’ve just left it with my manager,” Brohman said.

“None of us have been told what’s happening.”

Officially Channel Nine is saying the Footy Show is being revamped because the network will be showing 23 live Thursday night NRL games next year.

Costs are too high to justify or invest in the late-night timeslot with the lack of advertisers.

While Nine has been in a steady decline, Fox Sports continues to grow its rugby league audience for live games, pre-game, with the Matty Johns Show, NRL 360, League Life and The Professor.

They recently parted company with Peter Sterling, whose show was the only one in the Fox Sports stable to struggle for ratings. He will be returning to Channel 9.

Long-time executive producer Glenn Pallister is also moving on under the revamp.

The show is now under the care of Director of Sport Tom Malone instead of light entertainment.

Ironically Vautin always predicted Molan would one day host the show.

Paul Vautin is getting the chop after 23 years on the NRL Footy Show.
Two years ago he said: “I just turn up at 8.30 every Thursday night, put my bum on the seat and do my best.

“I have noticed in the last three years she (Erin) has moved from being part time, to being right down the end of the panel, she moved up one last year, and now she has moved up another one this year. So I think the writing is on the wall for me.”

Nine executives stress that Vautin will remain on the network in a commentary role for at least next year. “He is rated very highly in the broadcast box,” said one source.

The new show will be less humour and more football.

Where that leaves funny man Beau Ryan remains to be seen.

“No-one has told us what’s happening,” he said, “We’ve just been told there will be a new format.

“Hopefully we’ll get some more info in the next couple of weeks.”

Viewers will get more serious football analysis, especially on the Monday night panel show, through the likes of Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Wally Lewis, Brad Fittler and possibly Phil Gould.

2GB broadcaster Ray Hadley signed a new three-year contract with the network yesterday to call Thursday night games for Channel 9.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fatty IS the footy show. Ive always watched it for a few laughs, but seriously, fuck 9 hard. Yeah like Erin Molan is going to fix their woes, just like Raelene fixed our woes. As soon as the big wigs realize that It's Not solely about Women, then people will take notice and ve engaged. Why make a song and dance about it!

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
footy show dying a slow and painful death.

replacing fatty with Erin will make the process a bit quicker. lol

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I loved the footy show once upon a time but as time went on it changed to more of the wannabe comedians show and the gambling plug and i lost interest. I might give it another shot next year. I can only tolerate a certain amount of morons trying to make jokes. Brohman isn't that bad, but Ryan just shits me. Back in the days when they added a bit of comedy in the form of anti ads before commercials it was a reasonable amount of humour. But these days the only discussion about football is listing the odds the gambling agencies are offering. I'd like to see them take some notice of the lower grades results and actually analyze the games rather than relentlessly plug gambling as has been the case for the last few years. It's obviously not just women that have stopped watching the show if it's dropped from 370,000 to 80,000 viewers.

Malla

Reaction score
Fatty overstayed his time. Sterlo's timing when he left was perfect - he moved from that whole comedy BS to becoming a real NRL analyst who wanted to reinvent himself and that he did. I feel Fatty's niche was always 'comedy' on the footy show, his prob was nobody took his opinion serious enough for him to make the same transition Sterling did and hence him dragging out this footy show thing for as long as it did.

Funny how this comes only 12 months after Matty Johns show moved to thursdays. He owned the footy show lol

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Fatty overstayed his time. Sterlo's timing when he left was perfect - he moved from that whole comedy BS to becoming a real NRL analyst who wanted to reinvent himself and that he did. I feel Fatty's niche was always 'comedy' on the footy show, his prob was nobody took his opinion serious enough for him to make the same transition Sterling did and hence him dragging out this footy show thing for as long as it did.

Funny how this comes only 12 months after Matty Johns show moved to thursdays. He owned the footy show lol
Haha how shit must the footy show be if that hack Matty Johns' show is considered the higher quality of the two? I don't understand how either show is on air. Comedy for the brain damaged :P

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Haha how shit must the footy show be if that hack Matty Johns' show is considered the higher quality of the two? I don't understand how either show is on air. Comedy for the brain damaged :P
Plenty of Wit about the Matty johns show...

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Moylan is probably the reason I don't watch that show anymore.. She killed it.
I'd say it was well and truly dead before she joined lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't mind Johns' show tbh. There's a a lot of stupid funny stuff (i'm a stupid funny stuff kinda guy), some funny stuff and some actual footy stuff.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They need to recruit some recently retired player like Cronk or Cam Smith to head the show.....

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Stop watching years ago, won't be tuning in now that he's gone either. But yeah, long overdue they got rid of him.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Died in the arse but they didn't have to dump the old fuck, should of gave nutty Ryan more power and re jigged the format.

Status
Not open for further replies.