Status
Not open for further replies.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
http://www.madnesshub.com/2017/08/australian-cafe-charges-men-tax-to-make.html?m=1

Frustrated with the lower salaries that women tend to receive compared with men, an Australian cafe is taking matters into its own hands — imposing an 18 percent “gender pay gap tax” on male customers to highlight the issue of wage inequality.

The move has prompted both praise and scorn from customers and folks on social media. Some have condemned the practice as hypocritical and discriminatory, while others have lauded the tax, describing it as a bold and innovative way to call out a deeply entrenched problem.
Information about the surcharge was listed on a chalkboard placed outside Handsome Her, a new vegan cafe in Melbourne. The board listed the cafe’s three “house rules”: ”Rule #1: women have priority seating. Rule #2: men will be charged an 18% premium to reflect the gender pay gap (2016) which is donated to a women’s serivce. Rule #3 respect goes both ways.”

In 2016, the average full-time base salary for women in Australia was found to be 17.7 percent less than that for men, according to a report by the country’s Workplace Gender Equality Agency. Women were paid less in all industries, the agency concluded.

Alex O’Brien, owner of Handsome Her, explained to Broadsheet Melbourne in a recent interview that the goal of the men’s tax was to prompt a conversation about this gaping wage gap.
“I do want people to think about it, because we’ve had this [pay discrepancy] for decades and decades and we’re bringing it to the forefront of people’s minds. I like that it is making men stop and question their privilege a little bit,” she said.
O’Brien notedthat the tax will be implemented one week out of every month and will be voluntary. Male customers will be given the option to pay the premium, she said, but if they refuse, the surcharge will be waived.
All proceeds from the tax will be donated to a charity dedicated to women’s causes, she said.
People on social media reacted strongly this week to the news of the surcharge.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Also bet that mother that came in with her daughters paid for her food with her husbands money anyway.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Feminists are very nasty people. Feminism is poison to a woman's mind and the example in this article is no exception.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Given that it's a voluntary payment it shouldn't be an issue to anybody. The cafe owner said in the article that it's to get people talking about the pay gap. Every post in this thread validates the initiative.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
This is insane.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Blatant publicity stunt as they only opened their doors on the 4th of August.

They are getting SAVAGED in reviews as a result of this though... 1.8 out of 5 (based on close to 100 votes) rating on Zomato!!

I'd expect that the Anti Discrimination Board will have a little chat with them as well over his effort.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why is everyone commenting when the thread is aimed at Realist? :p

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a publicity stunt. It just encourages people to go to other cafes. Or let the women order coffee and the men can go to another Cafe for coffee.

Then again, I have no idea why someone would want to go to a Vegan Cafe.

I remember walking past a restaurant one time and seeing all these nice beef burgers on the menu outside. So I walked inside and read the menu. In fine print at the bottom it says "plant based beef. All our meals are vegan". Friggin false advertising. I've never been more depressed. And I'm a Bulldogs supporter.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a publicity stunt. It just encourages people to go to other cafes. Or let the women order coffee and the men can go to another Cafe for coffee.

I remember walking past a restaurant one time and seeing all these nice beef burgers on the menu outside. So I walked inside and read the menu. In fine print at the bottom it says "plant based beef. All our meals are vegan". Friggin false advertising. I've never been more depressed. And I'm a Bulldogs supporter.
The Norman Hotel here advertises itself as the "worst vegetarian restaurant in Brisbane", which is kinda funny.

As for the cafe, well, its in Brunswick, so its not entirely surprising. Most of the frothing (pardon the pun) is from people who wouldn't be able to even find Brunswick on a map. It's not like there aren't a hundred alternatives to get a cup of bloody coffee... and the payment is VOLUNTARY (point being missed on a lot of people).

The place will probably go broke anyway. I like the idea of eating vegan - but just like meat and cheese way too much.

There is a Paleo cafe in the Brisbane CBD which doesn't look that busy. I'm surprised its still going considering this fad kind of died along with dabbing and pokemon go.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Also, I ordered a hot dog at a Buddhist festival recently. Should have twigged at the time, since all the other stalls were vegetarian/vegan, but it came out as a falaffel (sp?) in sausage form. With a shitload of dead horse, it wasn't half bad.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Boo hoo worried about a pay gap. She should be more worried about the gap her girlfriend with chin hair leaves with her black 18inch double ended dildo.
I want to go in there and order food anyway and say ill happily pay the extra just to see you in your rightfull place in the kitchen you ****.
You want the big dollars ya fucking mole go to medical school and stop pouring coffees.
***** like this shit me , the fucking dyke should be grateful we live in a country with clean drinking water and have opportunities to do what ever we want to better ourselves for higher paying employment.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also, I ordered a hot dog at a Buddhist festival recently. Should have twigged at the time, since all the other stalls were vegetarian/vegan, but it came out as a falaffel (sp?) in sausage form. With a shitload of dead horse, it wasn't half bad.
I actually like a good falafel. We went to a charity AFL match in Marrickville one year. There was a two sausage sizzles. One had a line a mile long, the other had no line. Found it confusing so I went to the one with no line and realised it also had no smell. Then I saw the sign that said "Vegan sausage sizzle". The guys said "What would you like?". I laughed and said "no... no" then went to the sausage sizzle stand.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Boo hoo worried about a pay gap. She should be more worried about the gap her girlfriend with chin hair leaves with her black 18inch double ended dildo.
I want to go in there and order food anyway and say ill happily pay the extra just to see you in your rightfull place in the kitchen you ****.
You want the big dollars ya fucking mole go to medical school and stop pouring coffees.
***** like this shit me , the fucking dyke should be grateful we live in a country with clean drinking water and have opportunities to do what ever we want to better ourselves for higher paying employment.
You need to calm down, or you will hurt yourself...

Have a cup of coffee...

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually like a good falafel. We went to a charity AFL match in Marrickville one year. There was a two sausage sizzles. One had a line a mile long, the other had no line. Found it confusing so I went to the one with no line and realised it also had no smell. Then I saw the sign that said "Vegan sausage sizzle". The guys said "What would you like?". I laughed and said "no... no" then went to the sausage sizzle stand.
We get soe interested requests when doing sausage sizzles for Rotary.

Of course, as a charity and selling snags for such a cheap price, we keep the menu pretty simple:

white bread (shock horror)
snags with god knows what in them.
aldi brand tomato and BBQ sauce

no gluten free, no bloody halal.

Anyway, still people will come up and ask if the snags are gluten free etc. Ordering without the bread is becoming more common, but the other day i had a woman order a piece of bread with onion and sauce (no meat). That was a first.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol thats the problem havent had my cap yet served by this saucy little bird
At first I read that as "Haven't had my crap yet", and thought "Yep. I'm always pissed off if I don't get my morning dump first thing in the morning"

Status
Not open for further replies.