NRL draw: Broncos’ Sunday snub leaves Brisbane boss disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
RIKKI-LEE ARNOLD, The Courier-Mail

Subscriber only

Broncos CEO Paul White has expressed his disappointment that Brisbane have been robbed of any Sunday matches once again, after the NRL revealed the draw for the final six rounds of the season.

The Broncos have three Friday games, two Thursday matches and one Saturday appearance to end their season.

The club is often criticised for featuring heavily on Thursday and Friday nights, but White says Brisbane are not the ones seeking out those timeslots.

Instead, the Broncos were hoping to get at least one Sunday afternoon home game towards the back end of the season to appeal to their younger fans.

But they have been denied this request, with broadcasters having a large say in the final draw.

“Am I disappointed that we’re unrepresented in Sunday afternoon football again this year? Yes I am,” White said.

“It gives us a bit of diversity in our scheduling. It’s no secret that it gives families the opportunity, particularly younger people, to come to a game. We think that’s vitally important.

“There isn’t too many levers either our club could pull or the game can pull, with broadcasters largely having control over the draw.

“A lot’s made of our over-representation in Thursday and Friday night timeslots but I really want to let our members know that we are out there fighting for them.

“Hopefully next year with the NRL having more control of the draw, we will be represented in Sunday afternoon football and perhaps Saturday night football as well.”

White said the club did get complaints from fans and members about the lack of opportunities to see the Broncos play at home in the afternoon or early evening.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/aa05e544216aff15a683d8637c8b39ec

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
#Broncoslongweekendeveryweekend

NRL is all scheduled according to viewer data with the TV stations.

I can't see Bulldogs getting many primetime slots next year :D

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What a joke as well.

We have 5 Thursday night games between now and seasons end. On the bright side... they don't play finals footy on Thurs... oh wait?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fuck off Broncos, if only we got even half as many Friday games as them.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fuck off Broncos, if only we got even half as many Friday games as them.
The Broncos would be willing to swap with the Bulldogs to get a few Sunday games.

But Channel 9 want ratings to soar not plummet. :p

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
No Milford for a few more weeks. Broncos might lose some of those games. Plus origin coming up meaning their best players will be out. Broncos will lose a few.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No Milford for a few more weeks. Broncos might lose some of those games. Plus origin coming up meaning their best players will be out. Broncos will lose a few.

There was no Milford or Boyd on Saturday & won.

Broncos ATM are going OK during the Origin period, better than previous years.

What's the bet the Broncos do better than the Bulldogs in the next few weeks.

I give you the reverse ha ha. But bigger.

Wahesh

Reaction score
There was no Milford or Boyd on Saturday & won.

Broncos ATM are going OK during the Origin period, better than previous years.

What's the bet the Broncos do better than the Bulldogs in the next few weeks.

I give you the reverse ha ha. But bigger.

It's not only common sense, but a forgone conclusion that dogs are not going anywhere this year. We'll be lucky if we finished 2nd last.

So now I'm taking joy in teams I hate loosing, rather than us winning. Because we ain't going nowhere in 2017.

Haha. <-- that Haha was directed a Des coming under continuing fire.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Broncos would be willing to swap with the Bulldogs to get a few Sunday games.

But Channel 9 want ratings to soar not plummet. :p
Okay, could they swap the Thursday night game against us to a Sunday but we still turn up on the Thursday?;)

Only reason that Broncos get the majority of the Friday night games is for the TV rating in Queensland. Two games on a Friday and nearly every week one of those are involving one or more of the Qld based teams. :tongueclosed:

Wahesh

Reaction score
Okay, could they swap the Thursday night game against us to a Sunday but we still turn up on the Thursday?;)

Only reason that Broncos get the majority of the Friday night games is for the TV rating in Queensland. Two games on a Friday and nearly every week one of those are involving one or more of the Qld based teams. :tongueclosed:
With the main one (involving Brisbane) on free-to-air tv!

Status
Not open for further replies.