Movie Discussion

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That does indeed go against a lot of the critics scores, but it does get a solid 7 on IMDB.

Charlie Hunnam would probably turn me off a bit though. I thought he was the weak link of Sons of Anarchy, despite being the central character.

It would be good to see Guy Richie finally making a good movie again though. Its been a long time since Snatch.
I think a lot of the criticism was because he brought Snatch into medieval England. There's several scenes that feel like they've been taken straight out of Snatch but with swords and spells instead of guns. There's some parts where it feels a little too modern and can take away from the story, but honestly it's a story that's been done so many times that it's good to see a fresh take on it.

Charlie Hunnam is pretty good in it as well. He's a bit of a brash smartarse criminal. Definitely a role better suited to him. That said, his accent is reminiscent of Mel Gibson in Braveheart. You can't tell if he's English, or American, or Scottish, or what. It gets a bit mixed up and confusing.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think a lot of the criticism was because he brought Snatch into medieval England. There's several scenes that feel like they've been taken straight out of Snatch but with swords and spells instead of guns. There's some parts where it feels a little too modern and can take away from the story, but honestly it's a story that's been done so many times that it's good to see a fresh take on it.

Charlie Hunnam is pretty good in it as well. He's a bit of a brash smartarse criminal. Definitely a role better suited to him. That said, his accent is reminiscent of Mel Gibson in Braveheart. You can't tell if he's English, or American, or Scottish, or what. It gets a bit mixed up and confusing.
I do agree on the fresh take thing. It's not like King Arthur hasn't been redone a thousand times - but if you are going to go different you have to do it well.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The poor reviews have a mix of valid points and odd points to raise. Things like "The scenes can becoming confusing" which is true. They get a little messy and confusing but I actually enjoyed that style. "Much of the movie is taken from other movies or tales". That's also true. One review covers it well showing how the movie rips off Lord of the Rings, Lion King and the Ten Commandments in the first 10 minutes. That's a little bit of a stretch though. It does rip off Lord of the Rings with the elephants and Ten Commandments with the kid in the boat floating downstream (which has also been in many, many other movies), but the reason they believe it rips off Lion King is because his father dies. That's about as vague as you can get.

"Arthur almost always ignores the advice of his advisers taking away the equality of the character of King Arthur", I agree with this point too but I felt that it had a purpose. In the movie Arthur is a guy who lost his parents at a young age and grew up in a brothel surviving by stealing and conning. The movie is about him reluctantly overcoming his past to become a leader. An aspect that could have been done better...

Which leads me to the confounding points. Things like "Arthur seems like a street urchin and not someone with inner nobility". Which is literally what he is. He's not a noble. He's a street urchin. "The marching elephants storming Camelot in the first scene is an obvious reference to Lord of the Rings and that's a dated reference". This confused the heck out of me. Big magical elephants are attacking a city. You don't need to over think it.

All in all I thought the movie could have done with some better writing to provide better character development and I think Hunnam failed to portray the shift from street urchin to King well but still a great movie overall.

The poor reviews seem to be very hostile often picking creating strawmen to prove their point. Not sure why they're so hostile.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I am thinking of watching Kingsmen 2 - however I haven't seen the first one. Can someone recommend it?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am thinking of watching Kingsmen 2 - however I haven't seen the first one. Can someone recommend it?
Yes. It's over the top action, just don't take it to seriously. It's often completely ridiculous but it's a lot of fun. You'll love it.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Yes. It's over the top action, just don't take it to seriously. It's often completely ridiculous but it's a lot of fun. You'll love it.
Thank you. This Saturday night is all set :grinning:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baby Driver anyone?

Fantastic movie. Great movie. Probably one of my favorites of the year.

Soundtrack? Think Guardians of the Galaxy.

Storyline? Unpredictable AF.

Acting? Amazing. I loved the main character in an instant.

And Kevin Spacey is one of the sickest of c.unts when it comes to Hollywood.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Baby Driver anyone?

The Mrs really wants to see it so I'm going to take her to see it soon. Problem I get is that every time the advert for Baby Driver comes on I get Dio's Holy Diver stuck in my head.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Baby Driver anyone?

When the first previous were out, in my view it looked truly awful. A fast car, cheesy one liners.... Like something Corey Haim would so if it was still the 80s (possibly with Corey Feldman as his sidekick).

But the buzz around it has been the complete opposite, so what do I know? Is it something of a surprise like Kingsman: The Secret Service?

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When the first previous were out, in my view it looked truly awful. A fast car, cheesy one liners.... Like something Corey Haim would so if it was still the 80s (possibly with Corey Feldman as his sidekick).

But the buzz around it has been the complete opposite, so what do I know? Is it something of a surprise like Kingsman: The Secret Service?
It's the small things, mate.

I find with movies (generally) you can predict the outcome of a situation or an action or a conversation. I really felt that, in a lot of instances with this movie.. it just kept changing (to the betterment of the movie).

Wahesh

Reaction score
Baby Driver anyone?

I read the review of that an apparently the driver has a hearing problem. During the movie, does it have those moments where it's silent but the white noise is present in the background? White noise - like from the ambush scene from Fast Five (below) where the grenades blow up the car and we hear it but it's mainly silent - fast forward to 2:15.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah the story and history of the driver uncoils as the movie progresses. There is some cinematic genius in this movie.

And the soundtrack.. again is on point.

Wahesh

Reaction score
It's the small things, mate.

I find with movies (generally) you can predict the outcome of a situation or an action or a conversation. I really felt that, in a lot of instances with this movie.. it just kept changing (to the betterment of the movie).
To this day (for me at least), no movie has a twist/shock like that of Law Abiding Citizen.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To this day (for me at least), no movie has a twist/shock like that of Law Abiding Citizen.
Borderline B-grade movie, IMO.

For me, very obvious movie. Jamie Foxx's acting was terrible (what's new). Storyline was "Okay". There are much better shocks/twists IMO.

Case in point - The Usual Suspects, Primal Fear, Memento, Shutter Island...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Borderline B-grade movie, IMO.

For me, very obvious movie. Jamie Foxx's acting was terrible (what's new). Storyline was "Okay". There are much better shocks/twists IMO.

Case in point - The Usual Suspects, Primal Fear, Memento, Shutter Island...
Agreed. I didn't mind Law Abiding Citizen but it wasn't much of a twist. Usual Suspects and Primal Fear are two of the best twists I've ever seen. Memento was good too and just a great movie overall. Shutter Island was good but unfortunately I predicted it so it didn't have the impact.

One of the worst movies for twists. Wild Things. At the end of the movie there's about 10 twists. After the 3rd you're just yelling at the movie telling it to stop being so bloody stupid.

Still... Nev Campbell and Denise Richards getting it on. There's a twist we can all enjoy.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agreed. I didn't mind Law Abiding Citizen but it wasn't much of a twist. Usual Suspects and Primal Fear are two of the best twists I've ever seen. Memento was good too and just a great movie overall. Shutter Island was good but unfortunately I predicted it so it didn't have the impact.

One of the worst movies for twists. Wild Things. At the end of the movie there's about 10 twists. After the 3rd you're just yelling at the movie telling it to stop being so bloody stupid.

Still... Nev Campbell and Denise Richards getting it on. There's a twist we can all enjoy.
I didn't mind Law Abiding Citizen. It was an Okay movie. But not one I can watch over and over for a variety of other reasons.

I think people are drawn to it so much because of the "justice" element. If it had more of a courtroom play out through the movie, I think it would of added more intellect to the movie. Otherwise, it would appease most action/mild drama fans.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just watched the new planet of the apes movie

I particularly enjoyed that

• There were female ape leaders and not just male ones
  • And how apes who are at the start of their civilization and lacking in technology make their own religion with Caesar as the saviour
lol

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also, saw Dunkirk last night. Really good movie but I feel that many people won't like it. It's not much of a war movie. It kinda is but not a traditional war movie. There's very few actual battles in the movie. You almost never see the Germans other than their planes and there's no blood at all. There is a lot of death but I can't remember seeing blood once in the movie.

That said, it tells a very different side of the war. While there are a few heros, it's not about that. It's about a bunch of kids shitting themselves and doing anything they can to escape death. And it's about the sheer terror of being trapped on a beach with the enemy a stone's throw away, being constantly bombarded with no defence. There's very little character development, no back story, not much in the way of story telling.

What it does do well is realism. You watch things like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan and you feel they captured the gritty realism of war. Then you see this and you look back on those other movies and shows as over the top works of fiction. That's not taking anything away from Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan. They were heartfelt depictions of troops fighting toward a goal. This doesn't give you heartfelt. This gives you a bunch of shit scared people in an impossible situation.

The movie is done in 3 parts and it jumps back and forth between the parts. The first part being the soldiers on the beach trying to evacuate. Their story is done over a week period. Apparently it is, it actually felt like it was done over 2 days. The next is the Sea setting which is based around a civilian boat. That story takes place over 1 day period. Then there's the fighter pilots who's story takes place over 1 hour. Toward the end of the movie all their stories intersect and it is done very well.

As I said, if you're expecting a full on war movie then you'll probably be disappointed. If you want to see an intense portrayal of the psychological stress in the face of certain death, this is definitely the movie for you.

As a side note though, even though it's not much of a traditional war movie and there's not many battles, when shit does hit the fan the sound is amazing, and this movie has some of the best aerial battles you'll ever see.

The one thing I didn't like about the movie was the lack of character development. I understand the reasoning behind it. Nolan was aiming for a bunch of scared people. But without any back stories to the characters and no real character development you never feel any emotional attachment to any of the characters. I guess that still works in the scheme of things as it makes them feel like just another soldier, but it makes it odd that in each story they focus so intently on a couple of characters but make no effort to emotionally develop the characters.

I'd give it a 9.5/10
I seen some feminists triggered by Dunkirk coz it was white male dominated lol. They feel it impresses women and should have had female soldiers as they're just as capable lollllll. Fuck a movie maker wanted to stay historically accurate and he gets fucked for it, lefties trying to change historical facts now. They're not gonna stop until everyone has accepted that females actually built the world and the universe and caused the ignore bang out of their brute empowerment.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I seen some feminists triggered by Dunkirk coz it was white male dominated lol. They feel it impresses women and should have had female soldiers as they're just as capable lollllll. Fuck a movie maker wanted to stay historically accurate and he gets fucked for it, lefties trying to change historical facts now. They're not gonna stop until everyone has accepted that females actually built the world and the universe and caused the ignore bang out of their brute empowerment.
I saw that article and wait for it............................

She copped a backlash from lefties (men and women).