Michael Ennis Comments On The Bulldogs Culture: "They've Lost Who They Are"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What pisses me off about Ennis is that he considers himself a Shark these days.

Yes he won a premiership with them but he played two bloody seasons with them.

He seems to be always attacking us when he played longer for and captained our great club. There's a difference between attacking the club and providing feedback for the improvement of the club and supporting us.

Pull your head in Mick. I used to have a lot of respect for you.
Maybe he just wants the Dogs to return to how they were when he came to the club in 2009.. I guess the real test of his 'love' for Canterbury..will be when Pay, hopefully, brings back the Dogs of War.. Gee I wonder how Aaron Woods will cope with that! Lol..

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ennis is making a comment in the media as a commentator not a bulldogs lover. He's gone to the sharks, got a premiership and that's where his heart lies
I agree with this comment.
Listen to him. When Ennis speaks of the sharks he says “we” and when he speaks of the dogs he says “they”.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So Todd Greenberg is a stalker/pedo? Putting his meat in their fridges? For the family to enjoy? Classy....

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Gee Ennis captained the club and played 136* first grades with a 60% win rate for the Dogs (Overall 60%)..he knows what makes the Bulldogs tick. If he wants to comment..he has every right too..as everybody else does..it's not an exclusive right to former players, coaches, board members. What makes people think he can't? He is certainly qualified.. And just a reminder the guy was managed out..he didn't want to leave..I don't accept the argument..oh he was offered a contract but he refused..pleeeeeaaaassseee..it's obvious he was not wanted by Hasler.. And good on him for going to the Sharks..because he would've won jack shit with the Dogs under Des..

Actually if you think about it..if people like Ennis didn't mention it..Des might still be here..or worse the focus on rebuilding that Bulldog 'culture' may of been cast aside as well.. So people should appreciate it..not have a big whinge because of some bizarre belief the club should be immune from criticism..

*Dean Pay played 108 first grades games for the Bulldogs with a 66% win rate. (Overall 65%)
*Jim Dymock played 71 first grade games for the Bulldogs with a 71% win rate. (Overall 62%)
He has a right. Doesn't make what he says useful or constructive.

Mick should pull his head in. Des is gone. There's no need for him to complain right now and if he wants to talk negatively about the club right now he is no longer representing the club's best interests imo.

And what on earth does his win rate have to do with anything?

Des is gone and Ennis still running the club's name through the mud and saying we've lost the culture we're obviously trying to get back is NOT CONSTRUCTIVE.

If Ennis cares for the joint, he should do what our other legends are doing and get behind the club how change has been made.

Nobody is denying his right to free speech, but If he cares about the club he should zip it for a while and let the club try and rediscover that. It's really that simple imo.

too69u

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meh just a cock head if you ask me.Club pissed him and his mates off at the right time.Move on boys....

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So the following must be true as well

1)He doesn't talk to Graham or Reynolds anymore? Or anyone else that plays at the bulldogs

2)The culture has definitely changed since he was dropped

3) Steve Mortimer who resigned last year because Hasler was still at the helm is nuts

4) Terry lamb who publically stated last year that the club had lost its DNA is bullshitting

Yes yes You are right and everyone is wrong !!
The first time i opened this thread i expected nothing more then your unwavering support of ennis, and sure enough there it was. Questionable tags on every post that criticised the guy, and of course, as i also expected, a reply to me saying i dont know what im talking about.
By your own admission you have only been following the bulldogs for a few years, but i have followed them for more then 25 years which is probably longer then you have been alive given some of the dribble i have read, and there are people on here that have supported them for way longer then me. In this time there have been some incredible players that have worn our blue and white jersey. Names like mortimer, lamb, hughes, anderson, peponis, silva, pay, dallas, sherwin, vagana, talau, pollamounter, hetherington, price, and the list goes on and on.
Ennis was a great player, but he doesnt even sit as high on the list as any of the players i have mentioned on this list. He is not even the best hooker that has played for the dogs in my time. Hetheringtom would have taken him to school every day of the week!!!
Having said this i enjoyed watching him represent our club, and he was a pretty good captain. But he also niggled a lot and put some fans off him. And after leaving the club to gain a longer contract, and then winning a premiership with the sharks he has done nothing but criticise the bulldogs. First it was hasler, and now its our culture. Sure he is entitled to his opinion, but when you read a news article every week with him criticising our great club you get kind of sick of it!!
As far as im concerned dib has made enough changes to our coaching staff and admin staff to address the issues ennis keeps harping on about for me to be reasonably content. Is it enough for him to keep his job next year? Im not sure. But im also not a voting member.
At the end of the day ennis has had his say and further comment is not doing the club any good, and for me personally its not at all improving my opinion of him either.

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Mick should pull his head in. Des is gone. There's no need for him to complain right now and if he wants to talk negatively about the club right now he is no longer representing the club's best interests imo.

Des is gone and Ennis still running the club's name through the mud and saying we've lost the culture we're obviously trying to get back is NOT CONSTRUCTIVE.

If Ennis cares for the joint, he should do what our other legends are doing and get behind the club how change has been made.

Nobody is denying his right to free speech, but If he cares about the club he should zip it for a while and let the club try and rediscover that. It's really that simple imo.
Todays a good day. Finally there is a point that we both totally agree on. Cheers to that @utility half

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

The reason I put in win percentage is to simply illustrate that every time Ennis played for the Dogs he was more likely to win rather than lose..in other words he knows what it is needed to get success at the Dogs and therefore is a voice of experience..

As for the article itself..Ennis merely points out from his own personal experience of what it meant to be part of the Bulldogs..echoing what a number of fans, commentators, (excuse the use of the Oxford comma..lol!)) and former players have been saying for half the year.. And tell me what is more disruptive to a club..calling Des out in the middle of the year when the Dogs were still hope for the finals..like Terry Lamb? Or talking about what the culture was...and basically hoping they find it again now that Des has gone and a new season beckons? I see Klemmer has said the same thing in an NRL article today..

Ultimately you have your opinion and I have mine..I myself have no problem with Ennis's comments..I will concede I am a fan of his..but honestly if any former Canterbury captain made these comments at this time of year..I'd take it on board and get on with the job of restoring the 'Doggies culture..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The reason I put in win percentage is to simply illustrate that every time Ennis played for the Dogs he was more likely to win rather than lose..in other words he knows what it is needed to get success at the Dogs and therefore is a voice of experience..

As for the article itself..Ennis merely points out from his own personal experience of what it meant to be part of the Bulldogs..echoing what a number of fans, commentators, (excuse the use of the Oxford comma..lol!)) and former players have been saying for half the year.. And tell me what is more disruptive to a club..calling Des out in the middle of the year when the Dogs were still hope for the finals..like Terry Lamb? Or talking about what the culture was...and basically hoping they find it again now that Des has gone and a new season beckons? I see Klemmer has said the same thing in an NRL article today..

Ultimately you have your opinion and I have mine..I myself have no problem with Ennis's comments..I will concede I am a fan of his..but honestly if any former Canterbury captain made these comments at this time of year..I'd take it on board and get on with the job of restoring the 'Doggies culture..
Man, fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion, but honestly, I think if you are defending Ennis words you are overlooking a clear agenda on his part due to your fondness for him. These latest words are just totally unhelpful. Klemmer spoke in a past tense with optimism for the future. That's a huge difference from Ennis' comments, which are overwhelmingly negative and don't capture that sense of optimism about the club's future.

I think Mick's words were agenda driven.

As for your question about whether Lamb's comments or these latest from ennis were more constructive, I'd say Lamb's (made in the off season I believe, not in the middle of the season) were way more constructive. Lamb identified a need for change and was right about that, Ennis was just criticising the club and saying it had lost its culture without offering a remedy.

Baa's comments were way more constructive and came from someone who clearly had the club's best interests at heart.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Man, fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion, but honestly, I think if you are defending Ennis words you are overlooking a clear agenda on his part due to your fondness for him. These latest words are just totally unhelpful. Klemmer spoke in a past tense with optimism for the future. That's a huge difference from Ennis' comments, which are overwhelmingly negative and font capture that sense of optimism about the club's future.

I think Mick's words are clearly agenda driven.

As for your question about whether Lamb's comments or these latest from ennis were non constructive, I'd say Lamb's (made in the off season I believe, not in the middle of the season) were way more constructive. Lamb identified a need for change and was right about that, Enjoy us just criticising the club and saying it has list its culture without offering a remedy.

Baa's comments were way more honstructive snd cane from tontine who vhearjy gad the club's best interests at heart.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Haha did you intend up reply, or just mean to point out my typos? :p

Sorry dude, I'm on my phone and never edit my posts properly, but honestly, I think you get my point....even if you don't agree with it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who gives a shit about Ennis atm, i only cared when he was bagging us while Hasler was in charge to put pressure on the club, couldn't care less about him now though.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Man, fair enough. You're entitled to your opinion, but honestly, I think if you are defending Ennis words you are overlooking a clear agenda on his part due to your fondness for him. These latest words are just totally unhelpful. Klemmer spoke in a past tense with optimism for the future. That's a huge difference from Ennis' comments, which are overwhelmingly negative and font capture that sense of optimism about the club's future.

I think Mick's words are clearly agenda driven.

As for your question about whether Lamb's comments or these latest from ennis were non constructive, I'd say Lamb's (made in the off season I believe, not in the middle of the season) were way more constructive. Lamb identified a need for change and was right about that, Enjoy us just criticising the club and saying it has list its culture without offering a remedy.

Baa's comments were way more honstructive snd cane from tontine who vhearjy gad the club's best interests at heart.
I see a migraine coming on..I have that effect on people..lol! But I do concede my love for Ennis (no homo..lol!) may slightly..ever so slightly..put a fine mist over my eyes.. As for Lamb..great player..but I just don't like him..Bulldog sacrilege I know..but hey.. by the way his comments were in the Daily Telegraph on the 30th 2016..only two months into the season..

Haha did you intend up reply, or just mean to point out my typos? :p

Sorry dude, I'm on my phone and never edit my posts properly, but honestly, I think you get my point....even if you don't agree with it.
Ha ha.. I must be the one with the migraine.. ha ha.. yep I definitely I get your point and respect your view..

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I see a migraine coming on..I have that effect on people..lol! But I do concede my love for Ennis (no homo..lol!) may slightly..ever so slightly..put a fine mist over my eyes.. As for Lamb..great player..but I just don't like him..Bulldog sacrilege I know..but hey.. by the way his comments were in the Daily Telegraph on the 30th 2016..only two months into the season..

Ha ha.. I must be the one with the migraine.. ha ha.. yep I definitely I get your point and respect your view..
Ok, well I stand corrected as to when Lamb made his most recent comments.

Haha you're not causing any headaches by having an opinion mate. It's not like I gave a big problem with Mick. I just don't personally find his latest comments constructive and wish he would give it a bit of time to see what we do next year on and off the field.

It seems to me we are consciously trying to embrace that culture we may have lost a bit since Des got here, so now isn't the most constructive time to be criticising our culture. I think most people at the club are aware...

But I'm really just speaking my opinion, as you are yours.

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ok, well I stand corrected as to when Lamb made his most recent comments.

Haha you're not causing any headaches by having an opinion mate. It's not like I gave a big problem with Mick. I just don't personally find his latest comments constructive and wish he would give it a bit of time to see what we do next year on and off the field.

It seems to me we are consciously trying to embrace that culture we may have lost a bit since Des was here, so now isn't the most constructive time to be criticising our culture. I think most people at the club are aware...

But I'm really just speaking my opinion, as you are yours.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely..but I bet we can agree on one thing.. that Pay seems to be the perfect fit..one tough hombre!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Absolutely. That's why I'm a bit disappointed by the negativity of a past legend talking about us losing our culture I guess. I'm excited about our future and the influence I think Pay and other legends we're bringing back will have. Pay was just the sort of tough, uncompromising forward who should be able to give us our grit back. I think it's a time for optimism!

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The priblem i have is that he keeps saying it over and over. Give it a rest already. The fans knew it was happening too. And now it seems that even the bulldogs heirarchy know and they are doing everything they can to remedy the problem. So his words dont do anything for the club except make it look bad when it is trying so hard to change.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The priblem i have is that he keeps saying it over and over. Give it a rest already. The fans knew it was happening too. And now it seems that even the bulldogs heirarchy know and they are doing everything they can to remedy the problem. So his words dont do anything for the club except make it look bad when it is trying so hard to change.
Fair enough..I can understand what you are saying..

Status
Not open for further replies.