Mbye expects to finish the season in the halves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bulldogs playmaker Moses Mbye says he isn't fazed where coach Des Hasler plays him week to week but after a successful return to halfback following a stint at hooker and with departing five-eighth Josh Reynolds still injured, Mbye expects to finish the season at seven.

Rnd 24: 4:00pm Sun 20 Aug 2017

FULL TIME

‌Mbye was solid in Sunday's 30-16 win over Manly, kicking a match-high 400 metres, running close to 100 metres and coming up with an important try-save. The game saw departing hooker Michael Lichaa return to the starting side with Chase Stanley on the bench.

It helped that the team completed close to 80 per cent and fullback Will Hopoate had arguably his best game of the year.

"It's a winning dressing room at the moment which is nice; it's a feeling we've really been missing over the last month," Mbye said after the game.

"It's going to be a better week, enjoy each other's company after a win. It's about building now, hopefully go back to back and spoil a few parties."

He praised the team's improved control and execution: "We managed to go set-for-set better than we have in the past. We kicked to the corners, went set-for-set with Manly and the result showed."

Mbye had shifted to dummy-half in recent weeks, starting the previous four games there to accommodate a new approach in the halves with Matt Frawley and utility Chase Stanley given their shots to try and spark Canterbury's lacklustre attack. The calf injury to Josh Reynolds forced a re-think and coincided with some improved attack from the blue and whites.

"It was good. Obviously with Josh going down with his calf injury there was a window open for myself to jump back in the halves and fill that void," Moses said.

"I enjoyed it, I'm not foreign to the position obviously and I think I'll have another game there next week and probably finish the season there depending on how 'Grubby' (Reynolds) goes.

"I'm not fazed [which one I play] too much to be honest, we get to play rugby league at the pinnacle... it's a privilege for anyone to be at this level and you can't be throwing your toys out of the cot over positions, if you're on the field you should be [grateful]."

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Biggest question this off season will be. Does Mbye play 6 or 9?

I'd prefer 6. His speed seems to be wasted at 9.

Put Nubrown or Woolford (if he has a big offseason) in the 9.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mbye needs to grow some balls and just say what his preferred position and work on his game for that position. All his politically correct talk has worn thin he's getting paid big bucks and not delivering.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Mbye needs to grow some balls and just say what his preferred position and work on his game for that position. All his politically correct talk has worn thin he's getting paid big bucks and not delivering.
His preferred position was 6 but Des wouldn't play him there. He has spent his entire senior career under Des, a new coach would do a world of good for him and pretty much every other player at the club.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Watched Grub and M'Bye on Matty Johns show last night, M'Bye annoyed me with that stupid smile on his face when asked about his poor kicking game, he actually agreed it was shit and he will continue practicing to get better lol
the fact of the matter is..... if he can't kick at his age and experience now then he never will be any good, its a wonder he didn't blame Des for his piss poor kicking game too.
Bad Des!!!

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Goal kicking is rubbish.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still would love to see him have a shot at fullback.. the last 2 games are a perfect opportunity

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I still would love to see him have a shot at fullback.. the last 2 games are a perfect opportunity
Me too.
Hoppa played good though also. Be hard to leave him out. Aswell as push either Lee or Montoya out, they will only get better.

But im all for Mbye at Fullback, always have been.

Who for halves though last 2 if he's back there? Frawley and ........

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lots of discussion on Mbyes best spot.
1) He is not creative enough to be a 1/2 or 5/8.
2) He does not read the play well enough to be a FB.
3) He goes OK at 9, as he can tackle, but is not a dummy half.
4) He should be in the centres. Has pace, can tackle, doesnt have to think to much, just get the ball and run.,
He is a bit like Forrest Gump. Just to dumb to be really good, but he can run fast.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
4) He should be in the centres. Has pace, can tackle, doesnt have to think to much, just get the ball and run.,
He is a bit like Forrest Gump. Just to dumb to be really good, but he can run fast.
Not much to think about in the centres hmmmmm Have you ever played footy ??? Your gonna have to deal with a half running at you with a FB roaming behind ready for an inside or outside ball plus the back rower ready for a short ball and then the centre your marking, there is actually a lot to think about. We haven't seen him at FB so how can you make that call and say he isn't ready? Moses does actually have a decent passing game to. To say he has no skill and is like Forest Gump is kinda dumb.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Me too.
Hoppa played good though also. Be hard to leave him out. Aswell as push either Lee or Montoya out, they will only get better.

But im all for Mbye at Fullback, always have been.

Who for halves though last 2 if he's back there? Frawley and ........
Yes its a tough one.

Hoppa can have next Sunday off ..

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cant read the play really......
He has more try saving cover tackles than anyone in our team. I think he reads the plays fine. And a major reason why i think he could be a decent fullback.
Playing Centres is one of the toughest dewfensice positions.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hasler isn't a coach to flourish or develop under. He will get you primed in one aspect of your game and get you to repeate it. He isn't the type to develop a player (e.g. Getting mbye to play fullback) luckily with barba he was already our starting fullback before Hasler came. Otherwise he would have been the 2012 mbye and most likely would have been a half :p haha.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So nobody noticed how much better he played in grubs spot on the right?? Mbye playing in the halves with Foran will be massive for his confidence and the fact he will learn so much from a seasoned pro.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So nobody noticed how much better he played in grubs spot on the right?? Mbye playing in the halves with Foran will be massive for his confidence and the fact he will learn so much from a seasoned pro.
Good point. Didnt realise til now.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Youd think hasler would try a few positional changes but no lets pick the same team every week what a clown des is

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If only Mbye talked as much on the field as he does with media.

Mblah Mblah Mblah

Status
Not open for further replies.