Lichaa Has Another Jab at Des

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Canterbury Bulldogs hooker Michael Lichaa says team tactics nullified his running game

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

OUTGOING Canterbury hooker Michael Lichaa has heard the abuse. He knows you — the Bulldogs faithful — wanted him to run the ball more. So did he.

But he has been merely following the game plan set by coach Des Hasler. While Lichaa maintains the upmost respect for the Canterbury coach, he knows he has more to offer than being just a defensive workforce.

Touted as one of the most promising attacking young players in the game three years ago when he broke into first grade at Cronulla, Lichaa’s running game has stagnated during his stint at Canterbury.

As the likes of Newcastle and St George Illawarra circle for his services, Lichaa believes he can recapture his silky skills.

“I know I can still run the footy,” Lichaa said. “You don’t forget how to run the footy. Of course I want to run as much as possible. It’s just the way it’s panned out. Whatever happens next year, I would like to get back (to running the ball).

“It’s pretty funny (the abuse in the street). People who have no clue about rugby league just say whatever they want. The best players in the world get sprayed. I’m nowhere near that so I’m going to be copping it.

“Especially playing for the Bulldogs, they are pretty passionate fans. You lose a game and you’re the worst player in the world.

“It’s harder for my family. Family and friends see it on social media. They want to say something because they know what’s going on behind the scenes. Obviously fans don’t. I just laugh at it now.

“The usual ‘you’re shit’ or ‘you don’t run the ball’. That’s my favourite. I’d run it …”

Lichaa paused before moving on. You sense he would have finished the sentence with “if I was allowed”.

Despite the restrictions, the 24-year-old refuses to be bitter about this stint at Belmore even if he had to watch on as his junior club Cronulla lifted the premiership trophy last year.

Michael Lichaa has been frustrated by a lack of game time this season. Picture: Gregg Porteous
“It’s easy to say (I regret) it and I could’ve stayed at Cronulla but I definitely don’t,” Lichaa said. “It’s not all about playing footy. All my best friends are there. I love it. It’s been awesome.

“Footy wise it hasn’t been the easiest but I’m sure next year wherever I end up I’ll be able to play that footy again and I’m looking forward to that. I don’t regret coming to the Bulldogs.

“It’s nothing personal. I love Dessie. He is a good bloke. He is a very smart man. Our game plan is a certain way and I’ve tried my best to fit into that. That’s all you can do. You can only do what the coach wants. That’s what I feel like I’ve done. I wouldn’t have a bad word to say about Dessie. Obviously I’m more of a runner but it doesn’t always pan out that way.

“I’ve learnt things that I never thought I would. I never thought I’d be able to punch out 60 tackles in a game. I remember five or six games into my Bulldogs career that happened. I thought ‘far out I never thought I’d be able to do that’.”

Lichaa, who will turn out for Lebanon at the end of season World Cup, has been in and out of the top squad in recent weeks. He started his first game in Canterbury’s win against Manly on Sunday for the first time since round 17.

“On the weekend I got back playing and we won and I loved it,” Lichaa said. “I forgot how much I enjoyed it.”

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
Des has killed the fun! He has made it a game of numbers. They are not enjoying playing anymore.

It was evident against Manly that they threw out des playbook because of the farewell and played with enjoyment.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't blame Des completely for Lichaa's form over the last few years he does have some gleering weaknesses that are basic fundamentals for a hooker. I guess he's selling himself for a new contact and if he comes out and blames Des it does make new coaches think about what he could do with him.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought it was a pretty good article. He said he was playing to the game plan as best he could and that he would have loved to do some more attacking work but it wasn't the plan. He wasn't very critical of Des at all. Bottom line is he is a genuine FG player in terms of defence. My concern is that even as a defensive hooker he still should be able to deliver the right passes to the right people. There's no way Des wanted him to throw lollipops half the time, so while he may have been limited in attacking activities he still falls shorts in the basics and he has to work on those.

ibby

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I said I feel sorry for him in that interview but gosh he is are shit player

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I don't blame Des completely for Lichaa's form over the last few years he does have some gleering weaknesses that are basic fundamentals for a hooker. I guess he's selling himself for a new contact and if he comes out and blames Des it does make new coaches think about what he could do with him.
I completely blame Des just like i blame him for everything else, he has ruined the club and potentially some players careers. The systems Des has implemented simply don't aid the development of our players or play to their strengths.

Lichaa wasn't ever a hooker that would deliver flawless passing off the ground, he was a bloke that would get out from dh and either run or challenge the defence and use his short passing to put forwards into gaps. But for whatever reason Des decided to recruit a certain type of player and then try to turn him into a totally different type of player. What sort of idiot coach doesn't play a young player to his strengths?

Yes there are areas in Lichaa's game where he should have been better, but there were also areas that he was better that we just didn't get to see.

Hasler has created a toxic environment at the club and will go down as the most hated coach in our clubs history. None of our players are performing at a level that they should be. None of them have showed the development that was expected of them and again all this is on Hasler. The club and the players can't be successful with the mess he has created.

I hope we continue to see more of these articles that expose this **** of a coach for the failure he is. And i hope the players that he has negatively impacted can go on and become the best players possible whether it be for the Dogs or another club.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good on him for speaking out. He's not as bad as people think but even if his next coach allows him to run, he's got to offer his halves better service. I still remember against Penrith in the semis last year, Mbye blew his stack, because he wouldn't pass.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think it would be tough to make as many tackles as he does and still be on point in all other areas. In saying that though, his passing game has at times been aweful. Still i think its mostly because of the workload though.

Reactions: DT

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
did the sign lichaa because he was a nice guy or because he never was a good footballer

Reactions: DT

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
*does a blatant forward pass last week*
Commentators say "That's basic first grade stuff, and inexcusable. If a player is in front of you, you don't throw the pass you run in. With passes like that Des it's easy to see why Des kept him in reserve grade".

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well he is only 24 and hasn't given up on himself in the cut throat business of rugby league and that's the main thing.
Prolly come back and bite us on the ass like everyone else who was released.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
“Especially playing for the Bulldogs, they are pretty passionate fans. You lose a game and you’re the worst player in the world."

Never a truer word has been said

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
*does a blatant forward pass last week*
Commentators say "That's basic first grade stuff, and inexcusable. If a player is in front of you, you don't throw the pass you run in. With passes like that Des it's easy to see why Des kept him in reserve grade".
I saw at least half a dozen of the same over the weekend ours was the only one with those comments I don't want lichaa at the club but Gould gets a hard on when we make a mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.