Les Murray dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Les Murray dead aged 71
AUSTRALIAN football icon Les Murray has died aged 71.

The legendary commentator and broadcaster was for so long the voice of football in this country as a fixture on SBS.

Murray is survived by his two daughters.

CEO and managing director of SBS Michael Ebeid was quick to pay tribute to his “dear friend”, as was longtime colleague and former Socceroo Craig Foster.

“No one better embodied what SBS represents than Les Murray. From humble refugee origins, he became one Australia’s most recognised and loved sporting identities,” Ebeid said.

“Not just a football icon, but a great Australian story and an inspiration to many, to say that his contribution to SBS and to football was enormous, doesn’t do it justice. This is a devastating loss for all of us at SBS. Our thoughts are with his family and all that loved him.”

Another former international Robbie Slater reflected fondly on Murray’s profound influence on the game and his own life.

“Les Murray was ‘Mr Soccer’ and devoted his life to the game and did so much for the game,” Slater told Fox Sports.

“Les was someone we all looked up to; he did so much for the game.

“He gave me my first job in television. Obviously when I started at Fox, we didn’t see each other as much but we never lost contact because wherever there was a major football event, Les was there.

“He gave me a lot of advice for my career, early on. People started following me when I moved to the Premier League but Les followed me in France and always made sure everyone knew what I was doing in France. He set up an interview with me in France, which was the first shown in Australia. It just shows how much he looked out for Australian football and footballers.

“Les is not only a great loss to his family and friends, but a great loss to the game.”

The tributes kept pouring in from football lovers, players and those who knew Murray.

Murray was born in Hungary and came to Australia with his parents as political refugees in the 1950s. He grew up in Wollongong on the NSW coast where his love of football continued to grow.

Born László Ürge, Murray changed his name once he started in television.

He joined SBS in 1980, where he worked for more than three decades. He became the network’s head of sport in 1996.

Murray was a presenter and producer for the network’s football coverage and worked on everything from World Cups to Champions League finals.

A published author, Murray was also part of FIFA’s ethics committee and worked tirelessly to promote football in Australia at a time when it was far from the mainstream sport it is today.

Geeze.
Was he sick ?
Or something else ?
RIP.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Sad news RIP. I had no idea he was born in Hungary.
RIP Les :(

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Such sad news, had no idea he was unwell.

He put Soccer on the map in this country, I remember him hosting "World Soccer" in the 80's when you had to tune your TV into SBS UHF-45.

Those were the days....

RIP

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He changed his name for TV..? What a different time it was then

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Remember sitting there Monday nights I think it was, with a recap of the epl! Me, my dad n 2 brothers! We would heckle each other bout our teams, I a Man U supporter, my brother a gunners man and my youngest brother and dad devout Spurs men! Great memories
RIP les Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.