Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Seems Ennis is not the only one..

Source: Official NRL Website
Date: 16th of October 2017
Author: Tony Webeck

Des Hasler is the only first grade coach that David Klemmer has ever known but the giant Bulldogs prop admits a change needed to be made in order to restore the famed Canterbury culture that made the club regular premiership contenders.

After five seasons at the helm Hasler was sensationally dumped at the conclusion of the 2017 season and replaced shortly thereafter by Dean Pay, one of the toughest front-rowers of the past 30 years and a man who played 108 of his 184 career first grade games for the blue and white.

Pay's coaching career took its formative steps way back in 2002 as forwards coach with Ricky Stuart's Roosters team and 15 years later Pay will again leave Stuart's side as Raiders assistant coach to take his first head coaching role.

Klemmer is one of four current Bulldogs players to have played under Pay for the New South Wales under-20s Origin team, a team Pay guided to five straight wins from the concept's inception in 2012 through until 2016.

Although he has yet to speak to Pay in person with regards to his vision for the Canterbury team of 2018 and beyond, Klemmer conceded that the Bulldogs culture had dissipated under Hasler and that Pay was the right man to bring it back.

"I think it went away a bit," Klemmer told NRL.com. "We've been re-energised now and it's a fresh start.

"I've known Dean since when I was 18 and 19 and had him in the 20s Origin and he's going to be good for our club.

"That's what's going to be interesting, interesting to see how he goes as a full-time coach.

"I've got a lot of respect for him, he's a good bloke, he knows the club, he knows the culture, he knows his footy as well.

"He knows what he's doing so I can't wait to get there and play underneath him."

Installing Pay as head coach is just part of the overhaul undertaken by the Bulldogs board in order to reconnect with the club's storied past.

Premiership-winning captain Steve Mortimer is back on the board and Andrew Farrar will take over from Alan Thompson as General Manager of Football, reconnecting the current playing group with the club's rich DNA.

"Like a kid starting high school, it's going to be different faces there and it will be interesting," said Klemmer after the Bulldogs missed the finals for the first time since 2011.

"We've got Andrew Farrar coming as football manager as well so it's going to be pretty awesome and a good vibe around the club.

"We've just got to get some confidence back in the playing group and start winning some footy games next year."

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Klemmer is speaking in past tense and being optimistic about the future. Menus is speaking in present tesmse and being very negative about the club at present.
Do you see the difference?

We all agree the culture needed to change. Change has been nade and Ennis is still being critical when it isn't constructive and if he wants to help this club he should stop hammering the club and give us a chance to change.

His latest words were not constructive in any way and I think anyone who defends him for them views the guy through rose coloured glasses.

Our other ex players who were vocal when it was helpful seem to be trying to get behind this new direction and change. Mick should take a page from their book tbh.

Past tense/ present tense. There's a massive difference. There's a difference between constructive and non constructive criticism too.

Mick's latest words do not help
Our club.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Klemmer is speaking in past tense and being optimistic about the future. Menus is speaking in present tesmse and being very negative about the club at present.

We all agree the culture needed to change. Change has been nade and Ennis is still being critical when it isn't constructive and if he wants to help this club he should stop hammering the club and give us a chance to change.

His latest words were not constructive in any way and I think anyone who defends him for them views the guy through rose coloured glasses.

Our other ex players who were vocal when it was helpful seem to be trying to get behind this new direction and change. Mick should take a page from their book tbh.

Past tense/ present tense. There's a massive difference. There's a difference between constructive and non constructive criticism too.

Our club.
Get your own thread

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Our club.
Well said and spot on. Changes have been made so why Ennis wants to go on with it and bag the club is beyond me....oh that's right because his mates Reynolds and Graham have gone.

Klemmer basically admits that in the past there were problems but the changes are exciting for the club and fans. Should be the end of the Des era and nothing further needs to be said.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Get your own thread
I don't need to. Someone else started one for me on this discussion forum. Or did I take a wrong turn somewhere and end up in an echo chamber? :p

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Seems Ennis is not the only one..

Source: Official NRL Website
Date: 16th of October 2017
Author: Tony Webeck

Des Hasler is the only first grade coach that David Klemmer has ever known but the giant Bulldogs prop admits a change needed to be made in order to restore the famed Canterbury culture that made the club regular premiership contenders.

After five seasons at the helm Hasler was sensationally dumped at the conclusion of the 2017 season and replaced shortly thereafter by Dean Pay, one of the toughest front-rowers of the past 30 years and a man who played 108 of his 184 career first grade games for the blue and white.

Pay's coaching career took its formative steps way back in 2002 as forwards coach with Ricky Stuart's Roosters team and 15 years later Pay will again leave Stuart's side as Raiders assistant coach to take his first head coaching role.

Klemmer is one of four current Bulldogs players to have played under Pay for the New South Wales under-20s Origin team, a team Pay guided to five straight wins from the concept's inception in 2012 through until 2016.

Although he has yet to speak to Pay in person with regards to his vision for the Canterbury team of 2018 and beyond, Klemmer conceded that the Bulldogs culture had dissipated under Hasler and that Pay was the right man to bring it back.

"I think it went away a bit," Klemmer told NRL.com. "We've been re-energised now and it's a fresh start.

"I've known Dean since when I was 18 and 19 and had him in the 20s Origin and he's going to be good for our club.

"That's what's going to be interesting, interesting to see how he goes as a full-time coach.

"I've got a lot of respect for him, he's a good bloke, he knows the club, he knows the culture, he knows his footy as well.

"He knows what he's doing so I can't wait to get there and play underneath him."

Installing Pay as head coach is just part of the overhaul undertaken by the Bulldogs board in order to reconnect with the club's storied past.

Premiership-winning captain Steve Mortimer is back on the board and Andrew Farrar will take over from Alan Thompson as General Manager of Football, reconnecting the current playing group with the club's rich DNA.

"Like a kid starting high school, it's going to be different faces there and it will be interesting," said Klemmer after the Bulldogs missed the finals for the first time since 2011.

"We've got Andrew Farrar coming as football manager as well so it's going to be pretty awesome and a good vibe around the club.

"We've just got to get some confidence back in the playing group and start winning some footy games next year."

6 seasons

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow that's a very clear message about Des. Interesting as someone who grew up as a dogs supporter he talked about challenging each year.

Reading between the lines, it seems we were very close to losing Klemmer as several stories had suggested. That would have been a disaster. Looking forward to seeing Klemmer play in his rightful position of front row. Seriously Des, what were you thinking with that?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gotta commend Dib and the board for listening to the critics and encouraging change, things are going to change for sure, the doggies will rip snort into the comp.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Stop the propaganda war machine and I will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.