Not open for further replies.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Did anyone else watch NRL 360 tonight?

Graham was on there as usual, and of course he was quizzed about his injury and the bulldogs in general. He confirmed the operation he is due to have on his shoulder, and that he hopes to only be out a month but that he would not know for sure until after the operation.

That is not why I am creating this thread though.

I think it was Ikin who asked, but the question was something along the lines of "If you think the gameplan is not working, is that something the players would bring up or would they just go along with it?" (I am only typing this from memory, the question was way differently worded).

Graham spoke for a while, saying that he believes players should definitely speak up if they are not on board and not go down to the coffee shop and have a whinge behind the coaches back. He said that there is definitely not an attitude problem at the club, that the playing group is obviously not happy where they are but that they were training really hard and believed in how they were playing.

He said that they felt that all we needed to do was get a few little things right, and that games are won in 80 minutes but lost in 1.

In my honest opinion he sounded very honest and sincere.

Now are we all overreacting as fans or are the players all mental? I am assuming if Graham feels this way (that we aren't doing much wrong) that most of the playing group share his feelings. It sounds like nothing is being changed at all, and that we should not expect major changes to anything in our gameplan.

I really do wonder what it would take for Graham to lose his belief in how we are at the moment, because from where I am sitting, we are at the lowest point of Haslers era, by a long shot.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its like a good manager in the workplace they need to motivate staff to perform,at the end of the day dessies message isnt getting across or working and i think he over complicates the gameplans and has taken the enjoyment out of it hence why they always look so flat ,des is so stubborn and would have to be deluded not to know what hes doing isnt working

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You want players to buy into the coaches gameplan and systems..but when the coaches gameplans and systems aren't working then someone at the club needs to step up and make a call on it.

Des has obviously created an environment where the players are happy enough to just keep playing through the motions rather than question him. I mean the ones that questioned him are gone...Frank and Ennis for example.

Basically the club is fucked while Hasler is here. His coaching and gameplan is negative garbarge and will never be capable of winning a premiership in todays game. He also feels the need to micromanage every fucking thing. Fuck i hate him.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Our game plan requires inch perfect execution, and even then it's not a winning strategy. It's just garbage and the sooner Des realised the better we're all going to be.
To win a game with our gameplan you need state of origin like defense, its just to exhausting for the players with such poor attack because we're always on the backfoot.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Our game plan requires inch perfect execution, and even then it's not a winning strategy. It's just garbage and the sooner Des realised the better we're all going to be.
4th tackle settlers

Die on the fifth tackles in the corners because your kicking game is shit and you dont want to give away 7 tackle sets

Field position comes only with keeping posession (according to Des) even though Sutton, checcin And Klein hate our guts and penalise the shit out of us

Des is a moron

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des has obviously created an environment where the players are happy enough to just keep playing through the motions rather than question him.
When you never get dropped regardless of how you play you'd be loyal to the coach as well. He's got them in the position where they can only blame themselves.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As said previously our game plan heavily relies on high completions and over 40 sets. I feel
Hasler believes and has for some time now that if the team completes at over 85% on 40 sets per match and our defence is rock solid we will not lose.... we would pin sides in there half and basically we would swear on opposition mistakes and they would also have no petrol at the back end of halves. Field position also is important as dying on the last 10 out is far better then giving 7 tackle sets as Hasler feels these will shift the games momentum as opposition sides get a 'piggy back' to then peg us in our own end.
This is all well and good (well not really in my opinion) but the side rarely has 40 sets and doesn't complete at over 85% so the additional dying with the ball on the last rather then giveaway 7 tackle
I've said a thousand times THIS HAS NOT WORKED!
We need faster play the balls!
We need to have forwards taking the ball over the advantage line
Halves need to play direct not sideways one off the ruck not at a second receiver flat footed way behind the ruck
We need set plays

Every side knows to that if they can force mistakes (which we do ourselves with poor handling) and can get an even share of ball they will beat us as our attack is just throw it to a mate and hope with our plays from 2012-2014

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like they say. Being a brain dead basturd is to try the same thing over and over again expecting different result

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They mentioned never to over analyse or over coach players and just to strip it back and concentrate on the simple fundamentals of footy

1) run hard
2) tackle hard
3) committed kick chase

No stupid structures or shapes or places to get to on the field.

Here's a free piece of advice for u mr Hasler u cheap arse scum bag;
Keep it simple stupid and let the players play what's Infront of them

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler is like a manager that expects his staff member to type 70 words per minute using the 2 index fingers, now the staff member knows there is no way they're able to achieve this, but the manager insists if they don't mistakes and keep working hard eventually they will be able to do so. The thing is though, the office next door has a staff member using all 10 of their fingers and typing 100 words per minute, when this was mentioned to the manager, the manager insisted that his way of using the 2 index fingers is the best way to achieve the best results it just needs his staff member to stop making mistakes! The entire world know this is wrong but hey Des knows best, right!

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Graham was on there as usual, and of course he was quizzed about his injury and the bulldogs in general. He confirmed the operation he is due to have on his shoulder, and that he hopes to only be out a month but that he would not know for sure until after the operation.

I think it was Ikin who asked, but the question was something along the lines of "If you think the gameplan is not working, is that something the players would bring up or would they just go along with it?" (I am only typing this from memory, the question was way differently worded).

Graham spoke for a while, saying that he believes players should definitely speak up if they are not on board and not go down to the coffee shop and have a whinge behind the coaches back. He said that there is definitely not an attitude problem at the club, that the playing group is obviously not happy where they are but that they were training really hard and believed in how they were playing.

He said that they felt that all we needed to do was get a few little things right, and that games are won in 80 minutes but lost in 1.

Now are we all overreacting as fans or are the players all mental? I am assuming if Graham feels this way (that we aren't doing much wrong) that most of the playing group share his feelings. It sounds like nothing is being changed at all, and that we should not expect major changes to anything in our gameplan.

I really do wonder what it would take for Graham to lose his belief in how we are at the moment, because from where I am sitting, we are at the lowest point of Haslers era, by a long shot.
I read it differently I read between the lines that it was a veiled message but could be wrong because he went into detail sounded like a stab at Hasler and a stab at some of the players

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler needs to move from coaching to sales.

If he has the players believing that then he can sell anything to anyone.
Should work in the fox sports lab

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I love Graham but it sounds to me like they are all deluded

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As said previously our game plan heavily relies on high completions and over 40 sets. I feel
Hasler believes and has for some time now that if the team completes at over 85% on 40 sets per match and our defence is rock solid we will not lose.... we would pin sides in there half and basically we would swear on opposition mistakes and they would also have no petrol at the back end of halves. Field position also is important as dying on the last 10 out is far better then giving 7 tackle sets as Hasler feels these will shift the games momentum as opposition sides get a 'piggy back' to then peg us in our own end.
This is all well and good (well not really in my opinion) but the side rarely has 40 sets and doesn't complete at over 85% so the additional dying with the ball on the last rather then giveaway 7 tackle
I've said a thousand times THIS HAS NOT WORKED!
We need faster play the balls!
We need to have forwards taking the ball over the advantage line
Halves need to play direct not sideways one off the ruck not at a second receiver flat footed way behind the ruck
We need set plays

Every side knows to that if they can force mistakes (which we do ourselves with poor handling) and can get an even share of ball they will beat us as our attack is just throw it to a mate and hope with our plays from 2012-2014
A big part of getting forwards playing direct comes down to dummy half service and we need to do better in that area. Nobody is a fan of the repetitive short dart from the play the ball. Lichaa honestly does this and then passes to the closest forward because the defense knows that is how he's going to start the play. The forwards can't accelerate hard into a rushing dense so often they make a diagonal run instead.

The dying with the ball is a halves issue but partly is contributed to by the dummy half service. I'd love to have a solution and maybe moving Mbye to 9 would improve this aspect.

Aside from the lack of kicking variety from our halves I think Mbye needs to take on th he line to be a threat. Attacking the line will draw the defense and give the backs some space on his side, but he doesn't do it often. He catches and passes like a game of hot potato. Again this has occurred for long enough that the defense knows they can just keep sliding and trap the backs close to the sideline. When Reynolds runs the ball he does actually create space and doubt in the defense. Jackson often benefits from it. Although at times he runs too far sideways to leave the backs room. It wouldn't be th hat hard for Mbye to make this change, but it doesn't seem to have twigged with him. He could be a far better half by making this one change, but how long should we persist with him if he keeps playing hot potato. I'll be sad if we fail to make the finals, but if we at least see this one change very soon I think we can be a far better attacking prospect. Mbye does occasionally have Han need where he takes on the line and looks good, but its frustratingly infrequent.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I noticed about a year ago that a certain few players not only defended the style but now advocated it. That was the day I knew we needed a full clean out. I don't care what expert may sit there and defend this current "style" we play but they are plain kidding themselves if they think we are a few passes away from it all clicking? It's madness!

I would treat Des and the team as a "Mutiny" against the Bulldogs way and most of our roster needs to be moved on to really start fresh. I have said it before but as long as we kept Jackson, Klemmer and Montoya than I don't really care about the rest.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Defending their next pay checks!

Graham cashes in next yr, doesn't he?!
That's it. Bulldogs could transfer him out and he'd still get his back-ended contract but he wouldn't get the lucrative Third Party Contracts playing for the Knights and not being Captain.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Hasler believes and has for some time now that if the team completes at over 85% on 40 sets per match and our defence is rock solid we will not lose....
The chances of being able to achieve that every game must be so damn low, you would think Mr Statsler would avoid trying to attain something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.