Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
From news.com.au

Jamal Idris announces shock NRL retirement
COLOURFUL character Jamal Idris has announced his shock retirement from professional football, which he says was forced by injury.

Staff writers
FOX SPORTSOCTOBER 19, 20177:29PM

Jamal Idris of the Tigers is tackled.Source:AAP

Ads by Kiosked

COLOURFUL character Jamal Idris has announced his shock retirement from professional football, which he says was forced by injury.

The 27-year-old made the announcement on his Instagram page on Thursday.

The retirement came out of the blue, as Idris has barely been heard of since suffering a bad knee injury while playing for Wests Tigers earlier this year.

“The game has given me so much, more than anything it has given me character a way to express myself and the ability to change the lives of others,” he wrote.

Idris played 136 games of NRL with the Bulldogs, Titans, Panthers, and Tigers over an eventful career that spanned nine years.

He also represented Australia and NSW.

In 2015 he shocked the NRL when he walked away from Penrith and the game altogether to go on a soul-searching mission.

He returned and signed a contract with the Tigers but only played five games in 2017 before being injured.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a pity he didn't have the drive to succeed that someone like Chase Stanley has. His frame and natural athleticism means that he could have gone down as one of the greats of the game. But if I had to guess I'd say that he's always put in the bare minimum to stay involved with the game and when that hasn't worked it would seem like he's put it in the too hard basket and looked for an easier path.

I wouldn't rule it out that he will try returning to the game in the next year or so when the money runs out.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Sad to see tbh wish him all the best but at least we got his best years

NRNM

Waterboy
Reaction score
Very sad. Such a talented player when he wanted to be and by the time he found the determination to actually want to be on the field, the serious injuries began for him and it was too late. Could of been anything if he wanted it enough

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didn't he retire before then came back?
He left for a year to find himself. During the time he was gone to find himself there was a supposedly a point where he got lost and it was reported he had been kidnapped.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Always reminded me of Dane Laurie lol.

Time for your next adventure Jamal, and thanks for the memories champ.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Such a shame that he has retired at 27.
He was a good player at the bulldogs it was a shame he left, I think his career would have been longer had he stayed a bulldog.

Status
Not open for further replies.