Is the NRL rigged?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
As a league fan since I was a young kid, I used to enjoy watching the game. I'm not just talking about Dogs games, but most other games as well. The game had me captivated and glued to the screen watching as players battled it out on the field. Big hits, clutch plays, and some of the finest athletes you'd see. Rugby League was a spectacle, a centre stage sport on the rise.

This feeling and excitement around games continued on for over 2 decades, until recently.

Changing of key figures in NRL HQ (I'll stop short of names to avoid if the media pick this up and publish it), lead to significant changes in our games.

Slowly but surely shoulder charges disappeared, punch ups became slap-a-thons, and the game lost some of it's edge.

Cigarette advertising was banned, resulting in the Winfield Cup disappearing, and Telstra becomming involved. Even in English Super League now betting partners hold naming rights.

The NRL went looking for new sponsors, and in their search they found alcohol and betting sponsors, willing the pour money into the game.

THIS is the era when Rugby League changed.

One ref became two, and the decisions started to get more and more inconsistent.
Next came The Bunker, a way to review tries and find any excuse to award/deny a try.
Combining the two gaves the ability for a referee to influence a (previously Benefit of the Doubt call), and call a NO TRY/TRY knowing it is near impossible to overturn.

Once these became ingrained in the game, rules were tightened and changed surrounding what constituted a try, and other rules. Betting odds for all different game aspects opened up.

Referees were given more "flexibility" to influence a result or overlook offside/forward passes/foul play, and combined with the bunker, this changed many unknowns about the game into controllable aspects.

Need a side back in a game? No worries. A few back to back penalties to get them into position, and a bodgy bunker call to award a no try as a try.

Need to give a side a better legup? No worries, sit a player down for 10.

This year in particular has shown us so many bad decisions, with no accountability for the officials making them, that it is no longer a tin foiled hat conspiracy theory.

It is my opinion that our games aren't possibly being rigged, they aren't definitely being rigged, but rather they are being "shaped for a favourable outcome".

Refs don't get sacked because if you sack a ref, they squeal and blow the lid off things.
Coaches are unable to draw attention to the issue anymore for fear of large fines.
Everyone else can benefit by putting money down as they aren't restricted from doing so.

Everything has been closely shaped in ensure that nobody ever questions a result.

In short... the NRL have backed this great game into a corner they cannot get out of.

The NRL NEED the money (of betting partners/sponsors) to survive. The offshoot of this is that the betting sponsors may pick and choose winners based on what gives them the least payouts possible.

Ladies and gentlemen ... it is a sad sad era of Rugby League we are entering... and I'm not sure it's one I really want to be part of.

Shame Shame Shame.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I don't think the NRL fixes games but I wouldn't be surprised if some refs do. Archer/Sutton *2/Cummins/Maxwell/Shayne Hayne have all looked very suspicious over the years.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is it Rigged??? HELL YEAH!!! It's like asking is the Pope's Catholic. Only Ref I ever really trusted to ref a game was Greg Hollywood Hartley. Betting agencies + rugby league = CORRUPTION.

Last edited:

Dogs1938

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah I think it's rigged for sure. All I see is the nrl are money hungry dogs, but fmd I liked Todd Greenburg as our ceo instead of him being ceo of the nrl. Makes him look like he is shit at his job

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bernard Sutton is either match fixing or the dumbest bastard alive. The howlers he manages to pull off week in week out in the bunker is out of control. Its beyond any common sense reason that he is still employed let alone come under any scrutiny... for mine it strongly suggests that he and his boss Archer are up to no good.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five years ago I would have said no.

But then we get the team stories about clubs each season culminating in a grand final win e.g. 2011 Manly after stewart's innocence, 2012 Melbourne cap Redemption, 2013 Roosters welcome back SBW, 2014 Souths, Inglis & Russell's Bell, 2015 Nth Qld Fairy Tale after years of finals heartbreak, 2016 Cronulla maiden premiership.

The print media write whatever they want or are told, favourable or unfavourable television commentary including silence on some incidents with replays often going missing, appalling refereeing time and again with unexplainable mistakes, dodgy match review committee decisions, inconsistent judiciary decisions and penalties.

Oh and irrespective of how dominant an Origin team is in a series, nearly every year it always goes to a decider no matter what $$$$$$

The mechanisms are in place to keep teams level either through rule changes or the dodgy salary cap system. Match review committee and judiciary do their part and now the NRL even has contract registration control over the clubs.

It just goes on. Mistakes and incompetence may be used as excuses, but eventually you start to question it when nothing changes. If by some miracle it's not rigged then it tells you there is so much wrong with the game.

Yanni Gogolak

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think it is all rigged, but some components have been IMO.

SOO is dodgy as hell. State of Origin is all about Queensland, lets face it, and they have had an incredible ride with the Referees for many years. Don't believe me ? I have 2 words for you... Barry Gommersall

Ok it has not been so obviously overt since Barry retired, but they still always get the favourable calls, the rub of the green from the Referees. Makes good business sense, plenty of dollars in SOO on the back of the successful banjo players.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think it is all rigged, but some components have been IMO.

SOO is dodgy as hell. State of Origin is all about Queensland, lets face it, and they have had an incredible ride with the Referees for many years. Don't believe me ? I have 2 words for you... Barry Gommersall

Ok it has not been so obviously overt since Barry retired, but they still always get the favourable calls, the rub of the green from the Referees. Makes good business sense, plenty of dollars in SOO on the back of the successful banjo players.
I think if we were able to see the way bets were placed it would paint a very compelling picture. Given that the nrl sponsorship deal gives them a 7% stake of gambling profits from their sponsor it's a conflict of interest and opens up an avenue for corruption.

Queensland have a population of about 2/3 of nsw. If we assume that the emotional punters are roughly equal in proportion to population figures we can assume that nsw will have more money backing them to win most years.

Then look at the teams most heavily supported in the regular competition that seem to get rorted regularly as another example.

I have mentioned on here a couple of times that when Tandy was fine for supposedly betting on a penalty goal being first points scored it was not coincidental that a friend of mine was ashtray making a steady income from betting on penalties being the first points scored every week. He had earned well over 10k by the time the gambling agencies changed the system. At that stage you could wipe out any bets on first points scored being by a try scorer.

Now we have multi bets. Perfect way for the NRL and gambling agencies to fix a few faces every week that will wipe out the possibility that punters can win.

The fact that clubs and coaches are fined for speaking up about poor decisions tells me the NRL doesn't want the average gambler to question things much. The fact that certain refs can consistently decide games with obviously wrong calls yet face no consequence is not because there is no suitable options for promoting more competent referees. We consistently see one of the most shocking refs rewarded with origin duties. We consistently see the danger few refs placed in games where a dominant team is beaten by a side you wouldn't give a chance of winning. If they're asked to decide the result by awarding early possession and 1-3 piggyback tries th here aren't anyways glaringly obvious dud calls to decide the game. But looking at have the of origin last year and game 2 this year, we can see that when needed the refs will make decisions that are obviously wrong.

As mentioned by others they've given some grey areas where referees can interpret things whichever way benefits th he desired outcome of a game. Some times that may be calling/not calling an obstruction. They can allow one team to lie in tackles for an age while blowing the whistle for the opposition. And side from those two they're are others. The bunker and second referee should almost rule out most possibility of refereeing errors, yet it seems to just allow bias to decide games.

So as to the original question in this thread, "do I think games are fixed", I absolutely do. The issue is proving it. Gamblers will gamble and profiteering bastards will make money off them wherever they can. It mates me sad that the sponsorship deal teaches kids that gambling is normal because of constant in your face enticements to place a bet. I'd rather they bought back smoking sponsors.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby league is by far the most easiest sport to fix! Referring can decide an outcome of any game, it's blatantly obvious, and no one can do anything about it!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bernard Sutton is either match fixing or the dumbest bastard alive. The howlers he manages to pull off week in week out in the bunker is out of control. Its beyond any common sense reason that he is still employed let alone come under any scrutiny... for mine it strongly suggests that he and his boss Archer are up to no good.
Thing is mate, they always seem to be able to justify these decisions because of the 'greater number of camera angles' that they have to work with. Thing is though, if they are to be truly transparent and they do have all those angles why are the general public at times not able to see the same vision that they use to make their decisions? Does not make sense to me. He has, on the evidence that we the general paying public have seen, made some out and out shockers of decisions.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thing is mate, they always seem to be able to justify these decisions because of the 'greater number of camera angles' that they have to work with. Thing is though, if they are to be truly transparent and they do have all those angles why are the general public at times not able to see the same vision that they use to make their decisions? Does not make sense to me. He has, on the evidence that we the general paying public have seen, made some out and out shockers of decisions.
Hes 100% shady. on nrl 360 rothfield confirmed the only angle available for holmes try in SOO 2 was the view we all saw. For some reason i cant upload photos but if you get the chance to watch again pause the review and zoom in... Its clear as day his foot is on the line

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL may be extremely poorly run but, geez, corruption and match fixing is a bit much. The referees my be incompetent and biased but to suggest that are deliberately manipulating results for financial gain? Tin foil hat time.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would say the big games might be, just work it out and then head to the tab for justice since you dont get justice often

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2014 season was rigged. Souths didn't lose a penalty count the whole season

Malla

Reaction score
Rigged is a strong term to use but I do think refs favour teams alot.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
No it's not rigged.
But to my mind it is corrupt and manipulated.
The appalling standard of referring is robbing me of enjoyment of the game.
Yes it hurts more watching dogs games, but all games.
NRL two refs, bunker, fucking idiot commentators, transfer system, salary cap with no draft.
All neef a massive overall.

Plus one team from Sydney will go.
They do need a 2nd team in Brisbane so there us a game at Suncorp every week.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Corruption all the way to the top but when it comes to the crunch the games are thrashed out reasonably fair.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon ALL sport is rigged to a certain extent..too much betting options available not to be rigged these days..

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Five years ago I would have said no.

But then we get the team stories about clubs each season culminating in a grand final win e.g. 2011 Manly after stewart's innocence, 2012 Melbourne cap Redemption, 2013 Roosters welcome back SBW, 2014 Souths, Inglis & Russell's Bell, 2015 Nth Qld Fairy Tale after years of finals heartbreak, 2016 Cronulla maiden premiership.

The print media write whatever they want or are told, favourable or unfavourable television commentary including silence on some incidents with replays often going missing, appalling refereeing time and again with unexplainable mistakes, dodgy match review committee decisions, inconsistent judiciary decisions and penalties.

Oh and irrespective of how dominant an Origin team is in a series, nearly every year it always goes to a decider no matter what $$$$$$

The mechanisms are in place to keep teams level either through rule changes or the dodgy salary cap system. Match review committee and judiciary do their part and now the NRL even has contract registration control over the clubs.

It just goes on. Mistakes and incompetence may be used as excuses, but eventually you start to question it when nothing changes. If by some miracle it's not rigged then it tells you there is so much wrong with the game.
Add in there the fact this season the nrl somehow allowed foran to sign at the warriors for way below his market value. Imagine jt trying to sign for melbourne for next to nothing, it'd never be allowed. Clearly an attempt to give the warriors a massive chance at the title and to grow the game over there

Status
Not open for further replies.