How the Canterbury Bulldogs threw their salary cap into disarray with reckless spending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How Bulldogs players will cost Des Hasler his job

Canterbury’s high-priced players will dig their heels in and hold out for their money in 2018 – and it will cost Des Hasler his job.

That’s the view of one of Hasler’s closest allies Peter Peters, who can see no way out for the two-time premiership winner

“He’s one of my best mates on the planet but I can’t see how he’s going to survive,” the Sporting News Australia league expert told Sky Sports Radio
“I fear for my old mate. They’re (the team) not giving him anything and he’s not getting much out of the players.

“It’s not good, it’s a tough time and they look like they’re counting the days until the end.”

But Zorba predicts even tougher times ahead for the Dogs, who must shed a host of players to get under the salary cap for next year.

Back-ended deals, which Hasler was a fan of at Manly, means a number of players are set for big paydays in 2018 and may not want to leave.

And the NRL won’t register the contracts of big-name purchases Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods until Canterbury are cap compliant.

“I hear the players are going to sit on their digs and demand their money and won’t go, and you can’t blame them,” Zorba said.

“Some of the players are on back-ended deals and this is exactly what Manly’s coming out of now.”

The Dogs are headed into wooden spoon territory after losing 10 of their past 12 games.
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...job-nrl-canterbury/1uc6kahj633dm1a2nppj3l3xv1

Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
QUOTE "Canterbury’s poor on-field performances have not helped with the players they were hoping to move on now becoming less attractive.

Rival clubs are also aware of the Bulldogs overspending, so they hope they can capitalise by securing a bargain buy". UNQUOTE

"Securing a bargain buy..."? ... From the Bulldogs? Well really, that's a great idea, except we haven't fucking got one through the U20s, the ISP and the NRL... Just in case you're wondering why we're coming 13th on the ladder. :sweatsmile::sweatsmile::sweatsmile:

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1 million for Foran hahaha. Fuck off.
It sounds like a joke until you hear the reported salaries of Graham $1M & Eastwood $800K. But who really knows any of the salaries outside of the club & the NRL?

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dib is a fucking disease who has destroyed this club and anybody who votes for the turd at the next election needs their fucking head read and don't have this team in their best interest, I can't believe how this club has been run into the ground by these power hungry maggots, our team is totally fucked and they can't blame anyone except themselves, I'm like a lot of supporters who have supported this great team for 38 years and this is the worst I have seen because of Dib, this turd is lower than excrement.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If the Broncos found a loophole, well more power to them.

Maybe the Dogs should ask the Broncos on how to stay under the salary cap.

We don't have to.....Wayne said Bird has his own cap sombrero and since a sombrero is not under the cap, it fits... :p

unnamed (5).jpg

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The court would laugh at them.

They would say, if there wasn't a set amount, then they shouldn't have signed players on huge salaries.
But it is on record that John Grant told the clubs $10M. Only problem is that we signed Foran & Woods AFTER they reduced it to $9.1M. The thing that clubs have over the NRL is that they haven't signed on for next years comp yet. Yep, the NRL are a professional unit all right!

The other option is to convince a player or 2 to challenge the salary cap - restraint of trade. That will not be beaten.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How Bulldogs players will cost Des Hasler his job

Canterbury’s high-priced players will dig their heels in and hold out for their money in 2018 – and it will cost Des Hasler his job.

That’s the view of one of Hasler’s closest allies Peter Peters, who can see no way out for the two-time premiership winner

“He’s one of my best mates on the planet but I can’t see how he’s going to survive,” the Sporting News Australia league expert told Sky Sports Radio
  • “I fear for my old mate. They’re (the team) not giving him anything and he’s not getting much out of the players.

“It’s not good, it’s a tough time and they look like they’re counting the days until the end.”

But Zorba predicts even tougher times ahead for the Dogs, who must shed a host of players to get under the salary cap for next year.

Back-ended deals, which Hasler was a fan of at Manly, means a number of players are set for big paydays in 2018 and may not want to leave.

And the NRL won’t register the contracts of big-name purchases Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods until Canterbury are cap compliant.

“I hear the players are going to sit on their digs and demand their money and won’t go, and you can’t blame them,” Zorba said.

“Some of the players are on back-ended deals and this is exactly what Manly’s coming out of now.”

The Dogs are headed into wooden spoon territory after losing 10 of their past 12 games.
http://www.sportingnews.com/au/leag...job-nrl-canterbury/1uc6kahj633dm1a2nppj3l3xv1

"I fear for my old mate" didn't he cause this mess? He made his bed...

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Agreed ... there's no way Hoppa is on even close to $500k.

I doubt ANY of the articles figures are correct.

Tigers just announced signing Marshall. How we can be over the cap yet Tigers can sign players left, right and centre, and not an eyelid is mind boggling.
Dont worry about the tigers. The Broncos just

Tigers just announced signing Marshall. How we can be over the cap yet Tigers can sign players left, right and centre, and not an eyelid is mind boggling.
The funny thing is months ago when yhe cap looked like being low 9 million kent said penrith aswell as a few other clubs have sign players budgeting on 10million. Now its mainly the bulldogs in shit. I dont think temari martin was on a million. No one really knows shit about shit. Story tellers no longer journalists

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just tear up Woods and Forans contract, absolutely ridiculous by the club. Foran should be on an absolute max of 500-600k ffs.
I dont have concrete info but a very reliable person (that would be privvy to info) told me when Foran signed it wasnt for more than 700K/yr..

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

The only ones who know exactly what the players are on are the club and the player. Media just speculate.

Tigers have been able to make signings because this season like 18 of their 25 NRL squad came off contract. Including the "big 4" which they only re-signed Brooks.

What really shits me is the media speculating when there isn't even a salary cap in place for next year. It might still be 10 million. Just click bait and they're kicking us while we're down, purely because every club loves seeing us struggle.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hoppa and Holland should never have been re signed. Add Tolman and Eastwood to that list. Woods should not have been signed at all. Pathetic management
Out of the lot of them I really dont know what Eastwood has done since the Semi Vs Storm in 2014..

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Well, if this is the case, they had better start thinking about actually earning those big pay days as they might just find themselves playing for no points and in front of a Roosters crowd which typically consists of two men and a dog, sans their signings of Foran and Woods. Back ended deals do not work as Manly have found much to their dismay and it is looking a lot like much of the same at the Dogs.The club really has no choice but to get rid of players but that will be difficult if players do not want to go......

What I object to is the fact that none of them at the moment are really worth two bob, nor putting in an honest days work. I get it that they are pissed at Hasler but they are not doing themselves any favours playing the way they are and they are fast losing the support of those who have invested plenty of money and time into following them.

This club has been bought to its knees by an inept board, a basket case coach and an unhappy group of players. What a mess.

Of course everything is pretty much speculation, we may be in trouble, but no one in the media has 100% accurate info on it. Things may not be as bad as we think or it may.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In the voice of Connor McGregor

We are fooked.......

We are dead set fooked next year

We are losing players
The ones we have signed may not actually come

And the huge back ended contracts will fuck us up for god knows how many years beyond 2018

Who's fault is this?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
In the voice of Connor McGregor

We are fooked.......

We are dead set fooked next year

We are losing players
The ones we have signed may not actually come

And the huge back ended contracts will fuck us up for god knows how many years beyond 2018

Who's fault is this?
All concerned IMO. The board, CEO, Chairman, Coach and most players. If I was boss the whole place would get a wholesale clean out and return us back to grassroots. Not until your back that far can we ensure to start proper. We will struggle for 3 years perhaps but we would be better for it long term. All the above mentioned should feel deeply ashamed of themselves for doing this and be banned from anything Dogs for life!

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Because your club is paying too much for the players.

Not that difficult to work out.
This x1000 , I'm sick of everyone saying how are the roosters , broncos etc doing it. They aren't giving Eastwood 700k and signing retards like Holland

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The worst thing about all of this is that i thought backhanded deals were not allowed any more. Yet the same coach that was responsible for the NRL outlawing them is again the one guilty of it again!!!

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lol the bronco fan dribbling out their ass again. Ur club has signed more then ur fair share of tards ffs.

Ur also a 1 city club and are notoriously known for cheating.

In fact if any other club in the nrl had pulled the rubbish ur mob did with gee stepping down and refusing to talk when they got caught they would of been reamed.

We all know it. Don't know why you would pretend it's anything else.

The worst part I suppose is the fact despite the thoroughbreds they still haven't bought a championship since 2006 despite the multiple distinct advantages they have.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Who gives an honest fuck if we are over.... what's the worst that will happen?

Storm - lose some grand finals, be called cheats, retain 3 of the 4 super players (they only lost Inglis), and go onto great success in the future.
Parra - entire board gets fucked over, some players are lost, key players retained (Norman, French, Radradra, etc), drop a season due to points loss, and reap the rewards the next season.

It's simple.. we skirt close to the cap, and media is all up in arms, and claims we MUST cut players.

Other clubs do it on the sneaky, nothing is ever reported, then they get caught, pay a fine and drop some points, sack some fringe players, and continue on as if nothing happened.

The worst thing about all of this is that i thought backhanded deals were not allowed any more. Yet the same coach that was responsible for the NRL outlawing them is again the one guilty of it again!!!
Consider this.

The NRL have to sign off on the specifics of every deal... so if back ended deals are NOT allowed any more, why did the NRL sign off on them as OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.