How bad is the Bulldogs salary cap crisis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I doubt the media is even close to guessing what our cap position is. I'm not saying this for the first time but I'd assume that the extensions Eastwood and Tolman agreed to frontloaded their contracts for this year. Meaning that they're probably on less next season. Williams, Rona, Perrett x2, Browne, Lane all left. We picked up lower grade players keen for their chance to become NRL level players and promoted a few youngsters to the full time squad.

I think we overpaid for Mbye but at the time promising halves were earning stupid money. He benefited massively from an area of the game that's sadly lacking. Halves are hard to find cheaply and to an extent I think he's probably quite relaxed now with the fact that he's on big money and still has plenty of time to improve before he has to fool the next club into paying him big money again. The potential is definitely there with him, but fit the money he's being paid he should have at least developed a moderately decent kicking game.

I'm that with some new arrivals and development from our lower grade halves he feels threatened enough to work hard at getting his kicking up to nrl standard over the offseason.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making out but we're probably a little over the cap.

According to the Mole (not the best source but works for 9's Wide World of Sports now apparently), the Bulldogs have told all clubs that all players are up for grabs with the exception of Klemmer, Jackson and RFM.

I'd take this with a grain of salt but if the Bulldogs told every club's recruitment about it then it's pretty easy for it to leak.

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/08/22/...-for-grabs-in-nrl-salary-cap-squeeze-the-mole

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des should have done better with player signings, but as for Dib and the board they have contributed by making many panic decisions as a result of agreeing with Des.
Sacking Des is a must, but I'M not sure that sacking the whole board will fix the real problem which goes outside our clubs parameters.
Unfortunately many humans are to week to face the truth, hence we bury our head in the sand when we see the hunter (or enemy in this case).
Perhaps a strong person from within our club can rise up and say things as they are and not be afraid of been negative, and hopefully all genuine fans will understand and still support our club through thick and thin.
The next AGM should tell us a lot about our club and the future direction.
Well Turvey & Baa spoke up - the outcome? Thank you

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des should have done better with player signings, but as for Dib and the board they have contributed by making many panic decisions as a result of agreeing with Des.
Sacking Des is a must, but I'M not sure that sacking the whole board will fix the real problem which goes outside our clubs parameters.
Unfortunately many humans are to week to face the truth, hence we bury our head in the sand when we see the hunter (or enemy in this case).
Perhaps a strong person from within our club can rise up and say things as they are and not be afraid of been negative, and hopefully all genuine fans will understand and still support our club through thick and thin.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I have enough memory problems as it is. Enough will you.......Have I said this already? Oh god.....

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wel be sweet by November
A lot is blown out of proportion
We do need to shed dead wood though
Salary cap is the best "excuse" for it.
I agreed, but seems the combined IQ for our board is around 100, so they will get rid of our good players and leave us with the dead wood

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I bet it's bad but not half as bad as what the media are making it out to be.

The media said we were working toward a 10 mil cap. The cap gets set at 9.4 or 6 and then Hooper says the other night we are at 10.5 now lol. In other words they don't exactly know.

I'm sure they would have an idea but yhe way they report it like it is fact.is annoying as fuck. Example, Hoppa signed the first time with us and the media had him at 450k. too69u debunks the bullshit straight away and a few months later the media say he is 150.

Lastly FUCK the media. Oh and bye bye Des.
Where is that guy too69u lol

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
So just how bad is the Bulldogs’ salary cap crisis?

Here’s an example - talented halfback Moses Mbye.

Well spoken and a handy player, Mbye isn’t in the top half dozen halfbacks in the NRL.

Yet next season, he will be on $700,000, plus a third party deal, plus 20 per cent of the salary cap increase - giving him a grand total of around $900,000.

The youngster simply isn’t worth that money and it’s little wonder the Bulldogs are trying to move him on.

But no club will pay anything near that amount for Mbye, leaving the Bulldogs in a pickle.
Holy shit.
Can you do my next salary review?

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
I cant believe people still think we're a chance to snare Cronk ... Surely he wont play for another team ? Would he ?

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I do t think it's as bad as the media made out, dib was really happy after the meeting when they settled at 9.4. Maybe it means we only have to release one player like Graham?

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dib just wanted to up the cap so we have room to sign Cronk

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I cant believe people still think we're a chance to snare Cronk ... Surely he wont play for another team ? Would he ?
No I don't think he will. Smith half gave it away on the weekend saying that he didn't think Cronk would play next year.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If history has taught us anything, it's that anything and everything is possible at this club under the provenance of Hasler and guidance of Dib and co.
By saying this anything and everything do you mean extremely good or extremely bad, unfortunately in our case it has been the latter of the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.