Opinion Foran Podcast

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

To sum up the key points for those who do not want to watch.

He discusses his injury run with us. He says he never thought about giving the game away. He used an analogy of "wringing every last drop out of the towel". He wants to play for as long as he possibly can. He talks about each year evolving as a playmaker "I don't want to get left behind by all the new halves coming in, I want to bring a new skill each year and evolve as a player". "I watch almost every game to see how other teams play and their style". "I love Rubgy League if I wasn't playing, I'd still be watching most games".

He spoke of his early years before he broke into first grade, the reserve grade coach at Manly said to him "when you start losing your speed, you will become a better ball player".

He spoke about Des' coaching methods "he is highly stat driven" when asked if it bothered him "I like it, I'm a bit of a footy head so I like it" "Des talks in decimal points". He also spoke highly of Des "the most important thing with Des is that he is a winner", "he has lived and died by winning whether that was playing or coaching, that winning mindset filters down to the players".

Lastly, the most important point I thought that connects back to our dire situation at the Bulldogs. They asked him about playing through pain, etc. Foran basically said it was the senior players at Manly when he came into their team that set the standards. He singled out Anthony Watmough as being one of the toughest guys he has played with. "there was a year where he ruptured his bicep, he could of had surgery but it would mean he would miss the rest of the season" "he opted against surgery and played the year out". "I remember seeing him making tackles and you could see him in pain after the contact but he'd just get through it".

I thought it was interesting to contrast those senior players like Watmough with our current powder puffs. There are still players now who are doing that for us Max King, Kiraz, etc. The problem is those guys are buying in while the cream puffs are dragging them down (not taking hit ups, hiding on the field or going M.I.A leaking to the media). We aren't getting enough buy in and we don't have enough good senior players at this moment in time.

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remember him talking it up in his last contracted year with us, about paying us back for sticking with him during injuries, then immediately went to Manly when we offered a reduced contract.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Remember him talking it up in his last contracted year with us, about paying us back for sticking with him during injuries, then immediately went to Manly when we offered a reduced contract.
He was only going to pay us back if no one else wanted him.

shannon2009

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I’m glad when he was our senior player he set the same tone as watmough