DAVID KLEMMER says "It's a different vibe" at the Bulldogs since the hiring of new coach Dean Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
David Klemmer says it’s a ‘different vibe’ at the Bulldogs since the hiring of new coach Dean Pay

MICHAEL CARAYANNIS IN SUVA, The Daily Telegraph
October 12, 2017 3:50pm

DAVID Klemmer says the look on his Canterbury teammates’ faces at the end of the season was all he needed to realise just how drained the playing group was.

As much as they had tried to shut-out speculation regarding their futures because of salary cap overspending and uncertainty regarding Des Hasler’s future, it was obvious players were impacted.

Klemmer said he had no doubt the constant innuendo had plagued the squad this year.

“Mentally we said as a group it wouldn’t affect us but when you saw when the season finished just how blokes were mentally,” Klemmer said.

“How things were, it does take its toll. It’s a scary business. People come straight out of high school and nothing to lean on. Even though you can earn a good wage not everyone can earn that wage. It takes its toll on the group.

“It was the biggest rollercoaster I’ve had in my career. We were trying to win games, we were trying too hard. We were always in the fight. We couldn’t finish games off.”

The decision to axe Hasler and replace him with Dean Pay will give the Bulldogs a “different vibe” according to Klemmer. He was yet to speak with his former coach while holidays had Kangaroos selection meant he had not had an opportunity to catch up with Pay.

“I spoke to Des after the season finished but a couple of days later (he was sacked),” Klemmer said. “He is having time to himself and reflecting on what needs to be done and having some family time. “He is a good coach. I’ve spoken to Deano on the phone. I’ve known him for a while.

“The club has shaken it up. It’s going to be a different vibe. It’s been hard watching semi-final football and the grand final. It was frustrating.

“It was the first time in five years I’ve missed out on the finals. It makes you want to work harder.”

The firebrand prop has joined the rest of the Australian squad in Fiji ahead of their pre-World Cup hitout against Fiji and PNG on Saturday.

Klemmer has three goals to achieve in his rugby league career.

“Win a premiership, win an Origin series and win a World Cup,” Klemmer said. “I haven’t done any of those yet. I need to tick it off my bucket list. If I’m in the 17 I’m happy. Even just being part of this group, and helping to win a World Cup would be awesome.”

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm excited as fuck to see the team finally coming out and saying positive things. Last time I checked, the players were mentally disabled everytime they spoke to the media

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
If we're this excited about next season imagine how the boys feel.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No, He says its going to be a different vibe.
He hasn't been at the club since Des was sacked.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what about klemmer in one year he went from nsw future captain to being sledged about developing a passing game from some pint head at the pub

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
what about klemmer in one year he went from nsw future captain to being sledged about developing a passing game from some pint head at the pub
Not to mention the gronks at CLC who feel the need to criticize every single pass, on every single play, every single minute. Its fukken annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.