Comp standard this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel the standard of competition this year is quite low? Looking at the ladder I only feel that the storm and roosters have consistently stood out and played quality football. The sharks haven't really set the world on fire with their performances, I can't really understand how the eels are in the top 4 they've been dead average most of the year, broncos have been coasting along, the sea eagles and dragons are on the back of some very embarrassing losses and the bottom 8 have been completely woeful. The standard of the comp just doesn't seem as good as it was a few years back

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel the standard of competition this year is quite low? Looking at the ladder I only feel that the storm and roosters have consistently stood out and played quality football. The sharks haven't really set the world on fire with their performances, I can't really understand how the eels are in the top 4 they've been dead average most of the year, broncos have been coasting along, the sea eagles and dragons are on the back of some very embarrassing losses and the bottom 8 have been completely woeful. The standard of the comp just doesn't seem as good as it was a few years back
Agree with everything

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The game is pathetic. It's soft. I have no idea what the hell I'm watching now. It didn't even watch 1 second of the game last night. Literally. I fapped instead.

Dave Smith killed rugby league. Tood Greenberg didn't actually help.

Malla

Reaction score
This just tells me how shit we are.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
They are definitely slipping. We haven't even had our yearly standard absolutely shocking call that costs us the game where everyone agrees it was shocking and the refs boss comes out and says they admit they got it wrong but we still lose anyway.

Having said that, that's probably more of a reflection on us then the NRL. We just haven't allowed them the chance as we have been too shit.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Eels in the top 4 = Moses & Norman running the show, dominant and have gelled already. If Eels are going to make the top 4 can they please beat Melbourne to make it interesting.

Storm - then daylight.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eels in the top 4 = Moses & Norman running the show, dominant and have gelled already. If Eels are going to make the top 4 can they please beat Melbourne to make it interesting.

Storm - then daylight.
Yeah they're gelling well but i just don't really see them as a top 4 quality side. I don't really think they'll give the top 3 much problems

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The fact the eels have a +12 FA and sitting top 4 says it all pretty much. Although the broncos should keep their top 4 spot over the eels, they are playing the titans.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Agreed with everything you said, this year is really sloppy. Last year wasn't to bad though. Melbourne are a cut above the rest followed by Roosters who are travelling ok and Sharks I suppose haven't been great but have put together the odd dominant win and will step their game quality come finals. Storm to win the GF this year.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree on everything. I have never felt so bored watching NRL. I mean us going so badly does not help, but most other games are just sad to watch as well.

I think it must come down to coaching. Coaching is all based on stats and percentage plays, and that results in boring footy.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
It doesnt help that the refereeing continues to get worse every year. And not just our games. Theres at least 1 howler in every game.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The game was a powerhouse a few years ago but poor admin has stuffed it - footy isn't enjoyable these days- i love how footy was played in the 90s so entertaining

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The game was a powerhouse a few years ago but poor admin has stuffed it - footy isn't enjoyable these days- i love how footy was played in the 90s so entertaining
Mate, look at the players today compared with 25 years ago. The hookers these days are bigger than the props from back then. You have wingers who are 190cm and 115kg in nearly every team. They are much bigger and much faster bodies these days that makes the open style of play when you could tackle one out obsolete. Its all about putting 3 in the tackle, slowing down the play the ball and getting your D reset. Couldn't do that in the 90's.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Some teams are not coping with the speed of the game.

If the NRL went back to enforcing foot on the ball while playing it... I mean come on that is one of the most basic rules not enforced, now touch footy like play the ball. Also reward good one on one tackles around the legs, none of this .5 second release time. No more big hits because they don't get rewarded, if you wrestle you get rewarded because you slow things down.

Also fuck Bellamy one of the best wrestling coaches in the game. NRL needs a big clean up. You look at how the rules are getting manipulated every year and it's a disgrace. No other sports has changing rules or interpretations like League does.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It doesnt help that the refereeing continues to get worse every year. And not just our games. Theres at least 1 howler in every game.
Instead of saying "we have a decision going to the board". They should be more honest, "we have a blunder going to the board".

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Even the Roosters haven't looked that great, they've been flogged by the Broncos,Sharks and Manly.

Storm are gonna have to choke big time to lose the GF this year.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its the Storms comp to lose

The only thing stopping them would be injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.