Canterbury Bulldogs to hold recruitment meeting as St George Illawarra Dragons make enquiries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountMontoya

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Canterbury Bulldogs have organised a recruitment and retention meeting for next week to outline a plan to get under the $9.4 million salary cap, with St George Illawarra making preliminary inquiries about the future of James Graham.

One of the options that is sure to be on the table at the Bulldogs meeting is allowing the skipper to depart Belmore with a year to run on his contract, with the Dragons having asked the question about the Englishman's future.

The Dragons have identified Broncos front-rower Adam Blair as their priority target to replace the Wests Tigers-bound Russell Packer, but have done their due diligence on Graham in case they fail to land Blair. The Dragons have discussed the possibility of a two-year deal for Graham but his manager is determined to secure a three-year contract that will allow the veteran prop to finish out his career in the NRL.

With Blair weighing up at least three-year deals from the Knights and Warriors, the Dragons are set to finalise their position next week and table an offer to entice the Kiwi to the joint venture despite the likelihood of him returning across the ditch to replace the Tigers-bound Ben Matulino.

he Dragons have discussed Graham as one of a couple of back-up options, but haven't held discussions with the Canterbury prop.

Thursday's NRL meeting with club chairs and CEOs saw the clubs unanimously agree on a $9.4 million salary cap, providing clubs with an extra $200,000 to spend than originally budgeted if the players agree to the figure on Monday.

Graham still has one year to run on his contract at the Bulldogs, which has been heavily back-ended, taking up more than $900,000 in next year's salary cap.

Even if another club agrees to take just half his freight for next year, it will be a huge bonus for the Bulldogs as they look to free up salary cap space to accommodate the pending arrival of Kieran Foran and Aaron Woods in 2018.

"We will have a recruitment and retention meeting next week to discuss it," Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib said. "Now that we know what the salary cap is likely to be we'll be in a better position to have all those discussions that we need to have. We're happy with the outcome of the meeting. All the clubs are united in moving forward. We still have to wait for the players to sign off on it, but it's a step in the right direction."

Canterbury haven't spoken to the Dragons about striking a deal to lure Graham to Wollongong, however now that the salary cap is on the verge of being settled at a higher-than-anticipated figure the player market is likely to heat up again. One of the issues the Bulldogs face is that they have lodged all signed contracts for 2018 to the NRL and will be unable to alter the figures to make sure they are under the cap.

Some of their rivals have signed players but have held off lodging the contracts to the NRL until they receive confirmation on next year's cap, allowing them the flexibility to back-end deals and make necessary changes.

The salary cap will increase by $200,000 each year for next five years, providing clubs with an extra $1 million in the cap by the time the next broadcast rights deal comes to an end.

Dib, who has been accused by some clubs of agitating for his own benefit, appears to have been rewarded for his toil. While Canterbury were hopeful the cap would shoot up to as high as $9.6million for next year, he says it's a good outcome for the Bulldogs and rival clubs.

"It's a good outcome for everyone. We are all going to settle on $9.4 million," Dib said. "We are very happy with it actually. It's close to what we wanted."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...raham-20170817-gxyogp.html?platform=hootsuite

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
3 year deal? As if Graham could play until he's 35 lol. No club would agree to that.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would prefer to get rid of....

1. Eastwood
2. Tolman.
3. Graham

In that order although I think the club wIuld rather get rid of one player (Graham) instead of 2 (Plodman + Feastwood).
Problem is that Eastwood is also on a backended deal worth a reported $800K.
I don't think anyone would take him even for $300K.

Also, if Dib is happy with the new cap, we might not be over as much as every journo is reporting....unless he is telling porkies.

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another example of shit administration. We submitted all contracts to the NRL already leaving no room to alter them. For what benefit? The other clubs are smart enough to give themselves some wriggle room...

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Another example of shit administration. We submitted all contracts to the NRL already leaving no room to alter them. For what benefit? The other clubs are smart enough to give themselves some wriggle room...
Probably scared that Foran would backflip AGAIN....

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I would prefer to get rid of....

1. Eastwood
2. Tolman.
3. Graham

In that order although I think the club wIuld rather get rid of one player (Graham) instead of 2 (Plodman + Feastwood).
Problem is that Eastwood is also on a backended deal worth a reported $800K.
I don't think anyone would take him even for $300K.

Also, if Dib is happy with the new cap, we might not be over as much as every journo is reporting....unless he is telling porkies.
Graham is the only one that would free up any money for us. No one will want Eastwood and Tolman earns pretty much half of what Graham will next season.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gallen stated on tv that the NRL made it clear to clubs not to go over the 9.1million dollar mark for 2018.

So what do our dumb fcuks that are running the club do... Spend 10 million dollars

Shakes me head; Well run club my arse

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Gallen stated on tv that the NRL made it clear to clubs not to go over the 9.1million dollar mark for 2018.
So what do our dumb fcuks that are running the club do... Spend 10 million dollars
Shakes me head; Well run club my arse
What would Gallen know.. he's got the intelligence of a house brick. I wouldn't believe a word he says.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
If the Graham is on 900k and saints get him for say 400k we pay 500k. We than need to promote someone into the 30 man squad on the min which is 100 or 120k. Dogs get to save 300k ish. We need to off load 3 players or 4 to get under the cap.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We should be graham and both Morris boys to the uk.

That way we won't need to chip in. The English captain should get 500k pounds atleast. And the Morris boys are chewing over 1 mill from our cap.

That way we even have room to move.

And even if you end up paying tolmams and eastwoods contract you have a better squad on paper.

Only problem is haslers fettish with tolman being the best prop in the game :neutral:

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Funny thing with tolman is he hasn't even started his new contract :tearsofjoy:

Any logical CEO would have released hoppa (definitely not spend 550k to keep him) not spend a cent over 450k for mbye, move graham, tolman, Eastwood, morrisx2. Then you have an additional 2-2.5 million to spend on top of woods and Foran (not that I would have gone for them in the first place).

Give me ash Taylor, Cleary, Maloney and a decent fullback and fill the rest of the spots with semi decent players. No point having 5 rep props and 2 rep backs the way we play.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can not believe our fucking club and coach... FOOLED by Flopoate's 2 good games before he re-signed. Don't renew his contract and problem nearly solved. See that Eastwood has clearly past this new style of football every other team plays 3 years ago and we could even still be active in the market without having to talk about selling our captain, one of the best wingers in the comp and his twin brother who can find the line given early enough ball and still one of the best defensive centres. HEADS SHOULD ROLL AND NOT THOSE OF OUR BEST PLAYERS!!!!

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It could also be security in the signing.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe clubs are trying to sign blair wtf hes shit

Status
Not open for further replies.