Bulldogs Board meeting tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...b/news-story/de92c9088126c1f203e70b6eee02abd2

HOW much of a cutthroat business is rugby league? It’s hard to believe Des Hasler is starting the season in the coaching hot seat at Canterbury-Bankstown.

A Bulldogs board meeting tonight could provide some vital clues about Hasler’s future at Belmore.

Depending on who you talk to, Canterbury-Bankstown are either extremely close to green lighting a two-year extension for Hasler for 2018-19 or a long way off.

Some say the Bulldogs coach needs a fast start to the season to guarantee his position.

Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle has been in dialogue with Hasler’s management for over 12 months with the goal of reaching an outcome which is fair and reasonable for both parties.

If Hasler emerges with a contract extension over the opening couple of weeks of the new season, then Castle has worked her magic.

If not, then what does it mean for Des? It’s hard to see Hasler sitting on his hands and waiting for an offer.

Rest assured, rival clubs are monitoring the Des situation. A two-time premiership-winner at Manly, Hasler has taken the Bulldogs to five finals series and two grand final appearances since moving to Belmore at the end of 2011.

One of the most fascinating twists last September was how the Bulldogs board torpedoed a Hasler extension once the club bombed out of the finals.

It put the board and Des on a collision course and ended in club legend Steve Mortimer tendering his resignation from the Canterbury Leagues club board.

There was also a shake-up in terms of Des’s support staff. So there’s already been significant change at Belmore.

The thing about the Bulldogs football and leagues club board rooms is they’re nowhere near as warm and fuzzy as some of the other NRL clubs.

Powerful, results-driven and ruthless are fair descriptions of how they like to do business. Similar to the Sydney Roosters or the Brisbane Broncos.

A football club election at the start of next year means there is also more than just Hasler’s future at stake.

So if not Des, then who is better-credentialed to take over at the Bulldogs? It’s hard to find a more accomplished candidate.

If Hasler is granted an extension then the Bulldogs will be granted the stability they need to go about their business of trying to win games. If not, then the club could be in for a wild ride in 2017.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
*commence Kennel freakout from the Anti Des brigade*.

Also ... if he was "gone to the Dragons", the above wouldn't even be taking place.

Note that "Castle has been in dialogue with Hasler’s management for over 12 months with the goal of reaching an outcome".

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha you were sprouting your bullshit the other day about him holding off contract talks till mid season!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Haha you were sprouting your bullshit the other day about him holding off contract talks till mid season!
Errr .. think about it.

If he was "gone to the Dragons", Raelene wouldn't still be trying to get a contract signed.

Note CASTLE has been in dialogue with Hasler's management... not "Hasler's management in dialogue with the Bulldogs".

The club has been trying to sort out the contract situation, but from what I've heard Des is playing the waiting game. As I said in the other thread, if he fires in this season, his price goes up. If he flops completely then either the Dogs need to rush around finding a new coach, or accept whatever counteroffer Dessies management come back with.

Effectively his management have the club by the nuts.

This is why the club are trying to get it resolved sooner than later. All depends if they want to pay his asking price.

If the club wasn't interested in re-signing him, the board meeting would be very short indeed.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Errr .. think about it.

If he was "gone to the Dragons", Raelene wouldn't still be trying to get a contract signed.

Note CASTLE has been in dialogue with Hasler's management... not "Hasler's management in dialogue with the Bulldogs".

The club has been trying to sort out the contract situation, but from what I've heard Des is playing the waiting game. As I said in the other thread, if he fires in this season, his price goes up. If he flops completely then either the Dogs need to rush around finding a new coach, or accept whatever counteroffer Dessies management come back with.

This is why the club are trying to get it resolved sooner than later. All depends if they want to pay his asking price.

If the club wasn't interested in re-signing him, the board meeting would be very short indeed.
I think you read way to much into the wording of who is negotiating with who. There is dialogue between the two parties that is all.

You said in the other thread that he was waiting till mid season when it's clearly not happening. The only way Des would have the club by the nuts is if we get off to a phenomenal start and basically don't lose a game which I can't see happening.

I stick by what I said in the other thread he won't be coaching the Bulldogs next year.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Another sticking point is that Des just doesn't want to sign for the same amount he's on he wants a massive increase close to $1.5 mil a year !

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Wouldn't suprise me if an extension has been done but not announced to avoid backlash.

Personally I've got little time for Hasler. Zero changes would have been made if it wasn't for fans speaking out and people like Cleal and other useless staff would still be around.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another sticking point is that Des just doesn't want to sign for the same amount he's on he wants a massive increase close to $1.5 mil a year !
If that's true (wouldn't surprise me) the club should laugh him out the door. Hasler should be giving back most of the 5 MILL he's already been paid while failing to win a comp - which was the main purpose we signed him for originally remember ! He's a failure. If he thinks he's been a success for making the top 8 out of 16 teams he's fucking kidding himself. Titans made the final 8 last year after losing more games than they won. We had about as much chance of winning the comp at finals time last year as the Titans. They were probably better than us actually. Hasler has been a failure at everything not just some things why can't people see it. Couldn't get T-Rex to perform for 4 years, couldn't get Hoppa to play Sundays. Couldn't get Foran to sign with us. Fucked up both our hookers' running games. Fucked up the natural passing games of Graham and Klemmer. Never improved the passing or kicking skills of our halves. What the fuck does Des do for his big $$$$ ? I can't see ANY evidence he does ANYTHING at all actually other than telling players not to run or pass the ball. Fuck I or my mum could do that for 1M a year or less !

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Errr .. think about it.

We play storm, roosters and warriors. Our season could be over by round 3. So when does he sign the extension? Round 4?

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is only one thing thats for certain and that is that the only extension raelene can give any man is a contract extension.

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just a quick catch up to handout business class tickets, cabcharge and reasonable allowance for the trip to NZ in a couple of weeks...

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Maybe it's about all the text msg des sent and the feedback lol.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be really interesting to find at what point the contract dealings are at regarding Des.
I think it's way too early in the season to be chasing a firm signature.
The form and results where just average at best in recent times.
Waiting several months to see if real changes have come about would not hurt.
They should not ignore the valid points that Steve Mortimer raised to the board.
The club is at a major x road.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
have supported the dogs for all of my 37yrs on this earth but if he has his contract extended I will follow another team or just give up on the NRL

NickT

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
have supported the dogs for all of my 37yrs on this earth but if he has his contract extended I will follow another team or just give up on the NRL
Me too. I can no longer watch. I turn over to AFL. The level of refereeing is profoundly better. I find myself less frustrated even after my team (Giants) loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.