Andrew Johns scathing of NSW Blues Game 2 Origin loss to QLD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL immortal and Blues legend Andrew Johns was positively scathing of the NSW side in the aftermath of their game two loss to Queensland.

Johns, when asked what he thought of NSW’s second half performance that resulted in a 18-16 loss at ANZ Stadium on Wednesday night, tore shreds from the home side’s players and coaching staff for not targeting a visibly injured Johnathan Thurston.

Andrew Johns unloads on NSW players after the loss.Source:Supplied

“It’s the dumbest half of football NSW have played. They had all the running, they’re game plan was perfect,” Johns said post-match.

“Thurston’s shoulder is stuffed — there’s your game plan. Your just go at him all night. You go at him and then it puts pressure on the defenders on either side.

“They didn’t go to him once at all in the second half. I couldn’t believe what I was watching.

Wide World of Sports

✔@wwos

"I couldn't believe what i was watching!" - Johns is fired up and he's slammed the performance of the @NSWRL Blues. #Origin#9WWOS

10:26 PM - 21 Jun 2017

You’ve got a player out there who cannot pick his arm up off the ground and they didn’t target his side of the field.

“I don’t know what they were doing.

“They had all the running and they invited Queensland back in and went back to this out the back rubbish block plays.

Johnathan Thurston attempts to bust the tackle of Josh Dugan and Aaron Woods. Picture: Brett CostelloSource:News Corp Australia

“How they didn’t identify that ... he can’t pick his right shoulder up so there’s your game plan.”

Thurston was seen in the Queensland sheds after the match with his shoulder heavily strapped and iced.

Laurie Daley’s men will now need to win game three in Queensland to clinch the series.

Originally published as ‘Dumbest half of football NSW have played’

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/or...d/news-story/f0a3d6ab89781cad81c7a3461c5d3018

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is finally talking sense for once. Only person on the panel not to mince his words. NSW were complete garbage in the 2nd half.

Agree with his points, Frizell comes off and Daley doesn't think to send out a message to get someone else to target Thurston? Instead the Blues kept going to Hayne's side instead, that 2nd half was embarrassing.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Blame Daley and Pearce. Pearce is the half on Thurston's side and should've called for the ball. Daley should've seen it from the stands and sent Jack Bird there to run at Thurston.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Blame Daley and Pearce. Pearce is the half on Thurston's side and should've called for the ball. Daley should've seen it from the stands and sent Jack Bird there to run at Thurston.
Daley always carries a utility on the bench but has no fucken clue how to use them. For example: We saw it with Moylan a couple of years back then Dylan Walker now Bird is getting stuff all minutes and there is no plan to use his strengths.

Look how QLD get Morgan involved all the time, he plays like an extra 5/8 on the edges. Daley is enept I've had enough of this fool he gets the best NSW talent and continually butchers chances against an aging qld side.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yet they say QLD is too good. No they aren't. We have a shit coach

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No one will top the Dragons choke crashing out of the top 4. NSW - "hold my beer"

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good to hear that from Joey, but him and the rest of the media still did not single out Pearce who failed Yet again!

Pearce has no feel for a game and what's in front of him. He is a first grader but doesnt cut it at Origin level. Cannot believe no-one speaks the truth in the media about this myth!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wouldn't matter who we had out there tonight.. once the NRL decided Qld was to win nobody was changing that.
I have a funny feeling th they're setting up a fairy tale finish for some of Queensland media darlings. Cronk to retire a winner, whispers this is Thurstons last series too. Aside from that NSW were HEAVILY spruiked by the gambling agencies and again the refs are so fucking one sided it was not funny. I watched this game recording the refs to pull out all stupid if Queensland looked like losing and it was confirmed.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a funny feeling th they're setting up a fairy tale finish for some of Queensland media darlings. Cronk to retire a winner, whispers this is Thurstons last series too. Aside from that NSW were HEAVILY spruiked by the gambling agencies and again the refs are so fucking one sided it was not funny. I watched this game recording the refs to pull out all stupid if Queensland looked like losing and it was confirmed.
Exactly!
As poor as nsw were in the 2nd half qld did not have to run the ball out of their 20 once thanks to gift penalties.

One penalty i recall late in the game nobody at the place i was at knew what it was for at all, no one!

Anyway, all i want is a game decided by the players not the incompetent and completely embarrassingly one sided Barry Gomersall ghost refs.

Good luck in game 3 at two header stadium nsw, you will need it big time!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
What game was Johns watching?

I saw Thurston hit hard in the shoulder at least 10 times in the second half. That's not why they failed.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Joey blowing up about the blues not targeting Thurston? What a brilliant idea, Joey. Change our entire game plan for the sake of targeting someone not 100%.

Now NSW played shit in the 2nd half, but not enough to cop that loss. The referees were abysmal. I lost count of how many forward passes QLD got away with.

What about the first half - Maloney gets penalised for taking Slater out without the ball (fair enough), then the same thing happens to Dugan and we don't get shit.

Referees were told to give that game to QLD!

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And where was our 'captain ' during the second half leading the troops? If Cordiner is a nsw captain i am the next prime minister...he doesnt show any leadership qualities i can see, i may be wrong but he is not a captain thats leads in times of trouble.
Having said that apart from Josh Jackson i dont know who else would be captain material.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
if that game was tied, i'd imagine the ref's would have allowed a wall for a QLD fg the way they were going. That seconds block, cronk was clearly looking at the player and not the ball, and the other qlder and himself both moved in to check the chaser

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What game was Johns watching?

I saw Thurston hit hard in the shoulder at least 10 times in the second half. That's not why they failed.
Obviously Johns wanted them to target him all the time.

Funny thing is, if they did he would have moved to the wing, where the Blues would be tackled into touch by the other Maroon players.

The Blues thought they would do what they did in the first game. The Blues were clock watching.

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's smarter than you think sometimes, does he still do contracting as a halves coach?
Get him down to Belmore for a few days.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyway good to see commentators on the game are saying jow poor the referees were last night.

Such a big problem in the NRL & ARL the pathetic refereeing and how often they decide the outcomes of games.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
NSW = ultimate choke artists

They always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Daley must go he is a clown coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.