Afl has got some balls , listen up nrl

Status
Not open for further replies.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
AFL boss Gillon McLachlan says the league will consider stripping accreditation from journalists if they “make things up”.

McLachlan said the AFL agreed with Nathan Buckley’s left-field suggestion after a report Ross Lyon had approached the Pies about coaching them.

Eddie McGuire fuming: ‘It is a total lie’

‘Complete fabrication’: Lyon slams Pies report

Brownlow Medallist Brad Hardie stands by the story, which was fiercely denied by Fremantle coach Ross Lyon and the Pies.

ADVERTISEMENT
SCROLL TO CONTINUE WITH CONTENT
Told by 3AW’s Neil Mitchell it was a Stalinist idea that would censor the media, McLachlan said journalists had to be held accountable.

He said it would not be for simple mistakes but stories which were incorrect and had significantly negative consequences.

Gillon McLachlan doesn’t mind Nathan Buckley’s plan.Source:News Corp Australia

“I actually thought it was quite a good idea,” he said.

“I think there is responsibility everywhere. Our players, coaches, officials, everyone is held incredibly accountable every day but we are talking about people’s livelihoods and careers and this allegation talks to integrity.

“If someone is making something up that has such significant ramifications, there has to be an accountability for that.

“Taking accreditation away seems to me to be a very logical outcome of that. I reckon it is worth looking at.

“It is not for an opinion, it is making something up that is completely wrong and is something which I would say is a complete lie.

Gillon McLachlan says everyone has a responsibility. Picture: Getty ImagesSource:Getty Images

“That has an impact on people’s lives and goes to Nathan’s ability to be coach next year, goes to the integrity of Ross Lyon who is in contract and there is an ethical responsibility of the journalist to not make stuff up.

“We have accountability for people making things up.”

The AFL denied finals accreditation to Herald Sun journalist Michael Warner in 2013 at the height of the Essendon drug saga.

When asked about that incident, McLachlan laughed, saying: “I think we’ve covered that, he and (AFL media manager) Patrick (Keane) have had their own blues.

“I don’t think we’ll go around being Stalinist ...”

Hardie stands by his story that an intermediary of Lyon sounded out someone at Collingwood to discuss the possibility of a switch.

Presumably it would be the AFL as the sole arbiter of journalistic integrity in an industry where lying from clubs, officials and coaches is the second language of the sport.

McLachlan made no mention of the persistent misinformation pushed by clubs about injuries, late changes, selection issues and controversies that continue to plague the sport.

Mitchell said many stories he had presented which were said to be lies or fabricated were later proved to be 100 per cent correct.

Nathan Buckley questioned Brad Hardie’s media credentials after the WA radio host sprouted talk of Ross Lyon and the Pies coaching job. Picture: Getty Images

Originally published as Ban journos? ‘That’s quite a good idea’

Add your comment to this story
Show Comments

AFL

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gill's good. There were many that wanted him to take over as CEO and when he did he had an immediate impact. Very much a no shit kinda guy. Got in there, did what needed to be done, and the game is in a much better state thanks to it.

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
yeah but they can just hide behind their "sources"
And that's why it should be a law that you have to name your source. If you are going to quote someone you should have to name the person who said it

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
And that's why it should be a law that you have to name your source. If you are going to quote someone you should have to name the person who said it
yeah, I wish I could do that in reports

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great idea, this should also be applied to CNN, msnbc, BBC etc lol coz people are too dumb these days to know bullshit from fact

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yep ... Name a source in an article or face a fine of $500k PER ARTICLE.

That'd make then stop the bullshit nice and fast.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I keep reading the thread title as "Ali has got some balls...."

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
In my game real estate you cant make a statement unless you have facts to support it - james hooper will be fucked

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It should be illegal in general to make false aqqusation if your a journalist or an influencer of some sort. Would rely on the brilliant nrl authority ay.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I was reading "alf has got some balls"

View attachment 3615
Flamin hell!
Does anyone remember the Home and Away around the time of the Sydney Olympics where they were doing the torch relay and Don Fisher took the decoy torch and started running with it. Then the real torch relay come through and Alf took it and ran after him and said "Don! Stop! It's the wrong flamin' flame!" - I died :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/tribute-alf-stewart-best-sayings-home-away-595788

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
You should be shot for watching that shit
You should be shot for making that flamin' comment. I was watching it waiting for whatever the hell show was coming up after it - Futurama from memory (yes it was originally on channel 7).

Status
Not open for further replies.