Reaction score
Thats a rough draw.... anyone thinking we'll make the 8 are kidding themselves

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Good to watch on TV, bad for crowds
I go to games.

Thursday's suck cause you can't kick back and relax and hang out with mates afterwards cause of work the next day

And Friday 6pm slots are hard to bloody get to because of work

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You have got to be kidding! I move to Auckland and of all years we decide not to play even a single game in NZ!

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow doesn't give pay much time..If we lose a lot of early games they'll be loads of pressure on him..I don't really care tbh just want to be entertained next year..

Malla

Reaction score
If Pay can get through the first 10 rounds with 5 wins, we will be in the top 6 easy.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a rough draw.... anyone thinking we'll make the 8 are kidding themselves
If we don't make the 8 it'll have nothing to do with the draw. Melbourne and the cowboys made the GF and have to travel far more often

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Help!
Nine does Thursday, second Friday game, ? a Saturday and 4pm Sunday game?
Not sure I could find that information.

~c.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we don't make the 8 it'll have nothing to do with the draw. Melbourne and the cowboys made the GF and have to travel far more often
3 x 5 day turn arounds
Play titans and knights only once (4 points gone)
Back to back games against top 5 of 2017.

It's going to be a rough year. As long as i see change and competitiveness I'll be happy and consider 2018 a success

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foxsports.com.au has run the rule over every club’s draw to come up with the early analysis of who’s got it made and who’s up against it.

Here are the winners and losers!

WINNERS!

Roosters
Make no mistake, the Roosters have been kissed on the bum by a rainbow by the NRL with this draw.

Already with the advantage of adding gun fullback James Tedesco to an already strong roster and heading the queue for the services of Cooper Cronk, the Chooks have parlayed their good fortune into the easiest draw in the competition.

The Roosters play against fellow top four opponents just four times all season (the second least) and play against bottom four sides more often than anyone else. Literally a third of their 24 games are against the basement battlers of 2017.

Win all eight of their games against this year’s bottom four and they’ll go along way to locking in another top four spot and a huge opportunity to bag Trent Robinson’s second premiership as a coach.

All told, the boys from Bondi play just nine top eight opponents and a whopping FIFTEEN against sides that missed the playoffs in 2017.

Eels
After making big gains in 2017, Parramatta have a huge opportunity to set up a premiership in 2018 after they were given what is arguably the second kindest draw.

The Eels meet fellow top four opponents from this year just three times in 2018 — the lowest of all 16 teams.

They also clash with bottom four sides on six occasions, an equal or better scenario than well over half the competition.

Parramatta have a relatively even start, with some difficult matches to face in the opening eight rounds.

However, if they can navigate their way to 4-4, they’ll have a big chance to climb the ladder during the Origin period and beyond.

By the end of the season they will have played 11 matches against this season’s top eight and 13 against the bottom eight.

Storm
No Cooper Cronk? No worries.

While the Storm may be going through a transitional period following a heavy player turnover with Jordan McLean, Tohu Harris and Cronk all exiting the club, the NRL has been kind.

After 10 rounds they will have only played one team in the top four and had five games against teams who finished in the bottom four last season.

In fact, Craig Bellamy’s men finish the season with 13 games against teams who finished in the bottom eight in 2017.

That means the premiership winners face 11 finalists but only have four games against top four teams.

LOSERS

Wests Tigers
After a series of poor seasons, Tigers fans could be excused for wondering when things are going to go their way.

With a new-look side that will still be adapting to life after Aaron Woods and James Tedesco, the Tigers are staring down the barrel of a 2018 that ends before it begins.

In the first four rounds they play each of the sides who filled out the 2017 top four at the end of the regular season.

By round five they will have already played reigning premiers and renowned fast starters the Melbourne Storm twice.

They play rising power Parramatta for the second time in round eight and even their round seven clash — a ‘home’ game in Tamworth against Newcastle is tougher than it could have been.

It’s not without possibility that the Tigers could open the season at 0-8, taking their playoffs hopes away from them before they can blink.

Knights
The NRL hasn’t taken any pity on Nathan Brown. Three wooden spoons in as many seasons and Newcastle have copped the raw end of the stick … or is it the spoon?

Either way, the boys from the Hunter are up against it with 14 games against teams who finished in the top eight last season.

Their season kicks off in difficult fashion with four of their first six games against finalists. While they’ve added some handy recruits to their list, the Knights’ roster is still young. Still, there have been no favours from head office.

After 18 rounds they’ll have played 11 top eight teams and they complete the season with just five games against bottom four sides.

The Knights play the top four from 2016 on seven occasions — the most of any team other than Manly. They face the Roosters, Storm and Eels twice, while their only encounter with the Broncos is in round five.

Warriors
The Warriors start their season as far away as they could possibly get from their Auckland home base when they meet the Rabbitohs all the way over in Perth.

And they’ll have to be on their game right from the off, with a horror stretch of games awaiting them from round four to round eight, when they meet the Roosters, Cowboys, Broncos and Storm.

All told, Stephen Kearney’s men have seven games against last season’s top four and just four against fellow bottom four opponents.

They also meet 13 top eight opponents, compared to 11 bottom eight sides, making them serious outsiders to climb towards a playoff spot, particularly given their recent history.

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...g/news-story/0ba043a5bb4156c1a5bf964275166ec6

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
3 x 5 day turn arounds
Play titans and knights only once (4 points gone)
Back to back games against top 5 of 2017.

It's going to be a rough year. As long as i see change and competitiveness I'll be happy and consider 2018 a success
Playing Knights and Titans once is offset by playing Storm and Cowboys once. I wouldn't say the Knights and Titans are generated 4 points anyway we usually have very tight games against them.
There's only a couple of teams that don't have 3 5 day turn around.
The draw won't matter if we are good enough in saying the top 8 is never the same each year so it's hard to gauge how tough it is. You never know what teams are going to surprise.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Help!
Nine does Thursday, second Friday game, ? a Saturday and 4pm Sunday game?
Not sure I could find that information.

~c.
Nine do the the Thursday, Friday (7:50pm) and Sunday (4:00pm) games plus a Saturday night game for the last 6 weeks of season.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After watching that video, I wish Rd 1 was next week. It’s refreshing to have a coach who doesn’t mumble and fumble his way through a interview. Stated that he wants to be aggressive and play an open brand of footy. But the big thing for me was when he said he’d caught up with a few of they boys, he said they were excited for the CHANGE. Going to be a good year next year!

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thursday Friday and even a Monday games ffs another year of not seeing any games being a arvo shift worker

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Weird draw with teams playing each other twice within eight games! We get less bang for our buck this year with only 14 games under the season ticket down from 15 last year. We play Drags at OKI rather than at ANZ .I can only get to home games anyway ( but have gone to Newy in the past and Gosford) so the Thursday night situation is a lot better than last year for me with only two, Monday one is as usual public holiday. Down to one bye and a stand alone for one of the SOO meaning we are only penalised with loss of players for one round. Draw needs to be better balanced and set with both teams playing each other twice.One real positive last five rounds are set in concrete and we know prior to season start where and when we play those games, makes it so much easier to make a decision about the type of membership and whether or not getting to the games is doable.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I feel like I've been robbed for one extra week of footy and wtf is it with this draw the decider is to be played on September 30
It's either 30/9 or 7/10 for the GF & the other week is for SOO stand alone

Status
Not open for further replies.