Status
Not open for further replies.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
NSWRL released the draw today. The full draw is here

http://www.nswrl.com.au/content/dam/nswrl/documents/20161103 SG Ball 2017 Version 1.6.pdf

Dogs play 1 Parra, 2 Illawarra, 3 Wests, 4 BYE, 5 Central Coast, 6 Balmain, 7 Canberra, 8 Norths and 9 St George

Round 1 starts 11 Feb

Thought it deserved a separate thread - these should be our rising stars. And unless we're hopeless, the boys should beat Wests, Central Coast, Norths and St George - add the bye and we're 5 from 9!!!!!!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Should be more coverage of the younger grades on here.

Be nice to have this place as the authoritive source for all things Bulldogs throughout the grades.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Eels, Raiders and Tigers will be challenging.

Haggis

New Pup
Reaction score
Heard Zac SADDLER out before the season ever started with serious knee injury (ACL) , anyone confirm when and where this occured ?

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just saw some of the dogs sg ball v Panthers from last weekend on youtube , Brandan Wakham had about 4 try assists and was involved in everthing , dident see anyone else stand out ,expect for Logan Diilion who looks likely with ball in hand

Steve Wilson

Waterboy
Reaction score
Good observation Jamma01, i was told basically the same thing, wakeham was dogs best and dillon looked dangerous when he had the ball. Apparently 6 or 7 kids didnt play who will be in the starting side come round 1. I didnt realise, but big effort by some of these younger kids, dillon im told only misses playing Harold matts again by a couple of weeks, which means at sg ball level he is basically giving away the best part of 2 years to other kids, and Saddler i was told has had or needs knee surgey. Hope to see how young micky fahd goes as he has wraps on him, but has been injured apparently

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Heard Zac SADDLER out before the season ever started with serious knee injury (ACL) , anyone confirm when and where this occured ?
My man said he did the knee in a training mishap. May not be ACL but he's definitely gone for a while

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saw the SGB trial against the sharks today - the dogs were dominant - halves were good - talau and wakeham. The under 20s only watched about three quarters of the game - hard to tell if they are any good - no 27 seemed quick n elusive but they were unable to pass or catch or hold on to the ball - easily dominated by souths. I wonder, given how the Auckland nines squad went, do they train with footballs - or just do weights. They are so far behind other clubs (except St George) in this basic area. Just a trial though about 30 players had a run - each took a turn to drop the ball.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Saw the SGB trial against the sharks today - the dogs were dominant - halves were good - talau and wakeham.
How did the forwards go?

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Saw the SGB trial against the sharks today - the dogs were dominant - halves were good - talau and wakeham. The under 20s only watched about three quarters of the game - hard to tell if they are any good - no 27 seemed quick n elusive but they were unable to pass or catch or hold on to the ball - easily dominated by souths. I wonder, given how the Auckland nines squad went, do they train with footballs - or just do weights. They are so far behind other clubs (except St George) in this basic area. Just a trial though about 30 players had a run - each took a turn to drop the ball.
Wakeham; big wraps on him. Cheers mate, thanks for the information. I don't live in Sydney now but used to watch regularly at Belmore, so my opportunity to watch the Ball and Matts only happens when they coincide with Intrust and first grade home games.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wakeham; big wraps on him. Cheers mate, thanks for the information. I don't live in Sydney now but used to watch regularly at Belmore, so my opportunity to watch the Ball and Matts only happens when they coincide with Intrust and first grade home games.
How did the forwards go?
How did the forwards go?
SGBall forwards dominated the sharkies throughout - few flare ups late in second half.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Round 1
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs v Parramatta Eels
Belmore Sports Ground, Saturday 11 February
1:30pm

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
1 Zac Hetherington 2 Kytak Chan 3 Amosa Manu 4 Tui Katoa 5 Koli Saukuru 6 Tommy Talau 7 Brandon Wakeham 8 Soane Matavesi 9 Lachlan Talau 10 Pesamino Pasina 11 Jacob Winterstein 12 Sosaia Talivakaola 13 Pule Sua 14 Evander Swann 15 Thomas Anderson 16 Harrison Teritaiti 17 Mosese Faeamani 19 Jake Averillo
Coach: Shane Sultana

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/02/07/teams_sg_ball_round_.html

*New player from outside the Summer Squad is Kytak Chan (Eels)

Last edited:

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who's kicking on from this group?

ItalianGreyhound

Waterboy
Reaction score
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs
1 Zac Hetherington 2 Kytak Chan 3 Amosa Manu 4 Tui Katoa 5 Koli Saukuru 6 Tommy Talau 7 Brandon Wakeham 8 Soane Matavesi 9 Lachlan Talau 10 Pesamino Pasina 11 Jacob Winterstein 12 Sosaia Talivakaola 13 Pule Sua 14 Evander Swann 15 Thomas Anderson 16 Harrison Teritaiti 17 Mosese Faeamani 19 Jake Averillo
This is quite a strong squad. Only 4 younger age players in Tommy Talau, Saukuru, Pasina and Averillo. I would have Winterstein on Chan's wing and NZ import Jonty at centre and Manu at wing for Saukuru. Lachie Talau should be captain. Mosese should start then at 2nd row. Hetherington to bench hooker and the other Queenslander Wilkinson to fullback. Swann and T Talau have plenty of errors in them. The minutes in the bigger boys is poor and points will be conceded at the back end of halves. They should have a good season as most of the strongest sides from years gone by have put their stars in NYC already (Parra, Cronulla, Souths). Attitude may be a problem if not leading.

Steve Wilson

Waterboy
Reaction score
Pasina was dominated against penrith so very interesting to see him in the side, wilkinson was knocked out against cronulla in there trial and may have had to sit this one out. Winterstein has been quite good with the ball but extremely lazy with one hand attempts on the edge in defence. Was a wrap for lachlan talau, but the more i see of him, im not sure, he looks slow, poor kicking game and doesn't penetrate when running from dummy half. Hetherington has been quite good in the trials, since an ordinary start against parra pre xmas. Clearly 2 best players in this side are wakeham and the centre tui something, dont know full name sorry. I also agree with forwards not being overly fit. And the worry is no speed in this side bar hetherington, ratu and dillon who had a very poor game against cronulla, but did have issues with his back in the warm up.

ItalianGreyhound

Waterboy
Reaction score
Pasina was dominated against penrith so very interesting to see him in the side, wilkinson was knocked out against cronulla in there trial and may have had to sit this one out. Winterstein has been quite good with the ball but extremely lazy with one hand attempts on the edge in defence. Was a wrap for lachlan talau, but the more i see of him, im not sure, he looks slow, poor kicking game and doesn't penetrate when running from dummy half. Hetherington has been quite good in the trials, since an ordinary start against parra pre xmas. Clearly 2 best players in this side are wakeham and the centre tui something, dont know full name sorry. I also agree with forwards not being overly fit. And the worry is no speed in this side bar hetherington, ratu and dillon who had a very poor game against cronulla, but did have issues with his back in the warm up.
Yes some of the younger forwards don't have the grit to stay in the contest. So many kids on contract made it difficult to get the best team of 25, plus the nepotism of having coaching staff relations involved in selecting (Saukuru, Talau, Hamawi). All the younger brothers of past players involved too. Some are picked on name alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.