Search results

1. albatross

Bulldogs Commit to Three More Years of Tackling Sports Betting Advertising

Trying to find the balance between freedom of choice and addiction is hard. Addiction is a choice too, at least to start off with. I'd love to see people not gamble their life away, but even opening a small business is a gamble. Plenty of things are, and it's part of being free.
  2. albatross

Sutton Appointed again to bulldogs vs Rabbitohs game.

I thought Ryan Sutton was back when I glanced at the thread title. Ended up to be the lesser of two evils. Whether he picks on us or not, Gerard is a shit ref, but Ryan is a shitter prop.
  3. albatross

Official Bulldogs to enter NRLW in 2025

Great to see us in the NRLW. I don't mind watching it. The quality is getting better and it's usually decent open footy. Much better than Union or AFL if there's no NRL on. The product needs to pay for itself but I reckon it will and is worth investing in, even if it's not for everyone.
  4. albatross

Kurt Mann is so underrated

Pound for pound, he's one of the best one on one defenders in the comp. I've seen him drive bigger blokes plenty of times. His work-rate and ball play is getting better all the time.
  5. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Discussion thread | Round 4 | Good Friday vs Souths

We can improve on that, but we're never going to be right up there. We won't get too many PCMs out of our props for starters, and we haven't got those strong barging wingers like other teams. We need to lift in other areas, like our kick chase, which was great on the weekend. Also the high...
  6. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Thread round 3 | Bulldogs 32 - 0 Titans

The best thing about the game was the way our forwards stood up against their bigger pack. The quality and work rate's of Mann and Curran is helping to balance the lack of size in the middle, and King and Mahoney are toiling great. But lets face it, the Titan's are a team out of form and they...
  7. albatross

Round 3 3-2-1 vs Titans

3. Kiraz 2. Kikau 1. Curran Max king not far off. Great performance doing the hard stuff in the middle.
  8. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Round 3 | Bulldogs Vs Titans | Gameday discussion

I'd say Curran doesn't start at lock because we need him for the front row rotation unfortunately. Ciro seems to rate Salmon but the main reason is surely our weak front row ATM. I'd love to start him at lock too if we had the luxury of a couple more decent front rowers. He's a bit different to...
  9. albatross

My favourite player as a kid after Garry Dowling left.
  10. albatross

He does a lot of nothing usually.
  11. albatross

Opinion Max & Sam - Why no1,2 Punch, CC?

Curran with big PCMs and only 1 offload is a lost opportunity. Needs more support. Hughes made a tackle a minute so he's working hard while he's out there. We only need 40 odd mins out of him, so he should get up around that soon.
  12. albatross

News CODE NRL Salary Cap Analysis

instead of the 4 hopefully.
  13. albatross

News Weighed down by the responsibility’: Matty calls for Bulldogs’ Burton shake-up

He can run at centre. Yes we need halves who can run and create doubt, but if they can't organise at all, it's pointless having them there.
  14. albatross

News Weighed down by the responsibility’: Matty calls for Bulldogs’ Burton shake-up

We don't need a running 5/8 right now. We need 2 halves who can unlock the outside backs and bring the edge backrowers into the game. We don't have that, but we've got to try something different soon. I wonder what Burto shows at training that he can't do on the field?
  15. albatross

Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Post Game Discussion Thread

I've never seen someone wait for bombs with their arms so stiff. It's not natural. He's got no timing or confidence. Its a no-brainer for Tracey to come in.
  16. albatross

Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

Couple of nice touches by Edwards too so far.
  17. albatross

Official ROUND 1 | Bulldogs vs Eels | Discussion thread 5:30pm @ CommBank Stadium

He was a depth signing for them, not the next big thing!
  18. albatross

News Signed 2 years. Suluka Fifita

Any young player with a healing ACL would surely want to give back big time to a club that gave him a go! Hope he's got the fitness and ability to back it, but motivation shouldn't be a problem.
  19. albatross

News Bulldogs scout American talent ahead of Vegas season opener

Yeah I agree he was probably there sus out possible corporate partnerships or opportunities for future, just not to scout unknown players.
  20. albatross

News Bulldogs scout American talent ahead of Vegas season opener

Sounds like a bullshit beat-up to me. Surely we aren't sending Warburton and a Director out now to recruit players.
  21. albatross

Your Round 1 Team?

I wouldn't be surprised if Turpin got the 14. Mahoney needs a rest during games and we don't need a part time dummy half like Mann or Hayward filling in. Recovering from a broken finger and playing no trials might have affect things, but Mahoney isn't a 80 minute player at the moment and...
  22. albatross

News Teams Tips Vs Parramatta Updated

He’s just not robust enough for regular FG fullback in my opinion.
  23. albatross

News Trial Takeaways: Problems abound for Dogs after Sharks loss (Roar)

The moron that wrote this is actually a double moron. Make that triple. It was a fucking trial.
  24. albatross

News Eels v Bulldogs: Sivo suspended; Star recruits ready to go

I don't get the hype about Salmon in the trials (playing like Isaah Yeo???), but I still think he's a very decent player. I don't mind him starting in front of Curren given we are way short on front rowers and need Current to be part of the front row rotation. Maybe Tetavano's signing eases...
  25. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY ROUND 2 TRIAL | Bulldogs vs Sharks | Discussion thread (8pm @ BSG)

Mahoney was bad. Looked like he was deliberately throwing ankle passes at times. Burto was awkward again as usual. Curren was pretty good and King and Preston both played well. Taafe was terrible. Hutchinson was mixed but mostly below average - looked like he lost composure after that first...
  26. albatross

Official Ciraldo announces Crichton as new Club Captain, Expresses gratitude to Mahoney and Burton

Ciro made a lot of rash decisions in his first year of head coach (choosing all the captains, signing JR, sticking with Perhem etc), but hopefully that's out of his system now. This decision is cause he's the right bloke and if it's gonna happen there's no good time, so get it over with. We're...
  27. albatross

Official Gus on Twitter

Gus mentioned Tracey, just didn’t give a specific timeline on his injury, before saying the squad would all be fit for rd 1 if we got through this trial. I took that as Tracey would be fit. Gus also plead guilty to pulling a few swifties in his time.
  28. albatross

News Bulldogs' bark is worse than their bite: Defence needs mending as Ciraldo gambles with star recruit in make-or-break year

He's worth heaps more to us at 750k, than Fifita is at way over a million to GC. Crichton will impact every game with quality attack and defence, and on-field leadership, from any position. He's up with the best centres, plus he's versatile if he needs to be. We picked up a gem in a pretty...
  29. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Trial No. 2 - Bulldogs vs Sharks - Friday 8pm BSG

Trial teams usually start with the quality players and bring on fringe players around 1/2 time. For that reason I’m surprised Sexton isn’t starting against the stronger players, given Hutch also started trial 1. I think it’s a good sign Hutch is in front at the moment. I think Ciro likes the...
  30. albatross

OFFICIAL | PRE-GAME Trial No. 2 - Bulldogs vs Sharks - Friday 8pm BSG

Maybe trial tea leaves are meaningless to read, but they are still telling me; - Salmon or Mann to start at lock in Rd 1 and Curren to be part of the front row rotation (by necessity) - there is still genuine uncertainty about halfback. - Xerri will start Rd 1 - Morrin, through sheer effort...
  31. albatross

Your Round 1 Team?

I don't think it's so much whether he runs or passes, more that Burto seems to have a way of slowing down the play. Seems to baulk or be in two minds a lot of the time. He looks unnatural and indecisive at 5/8 to me. Hope he finds something soon but he doesn't look confident to me.
  32. albatross

News Canterbury Bulldogs chairman John Khoury set to step down

News got to spin it first, so some of that will stick around in people's heads, but this is pretty much a non issue. OK, so we don't know how this new gazillionaire will go yet, but everyone else on the board supports him so there's no reason at all to get bent out of shape about it.
  33. albatross

OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Game day Thread vs. Storm: Trial 1 @ Belmore, 7pm

Decent start for first trial. Burto just looked awkward like most of last year. Hughes went well, and looks the goods. King looked gassed after 10 mins but kept going well. Taafe was solid but Papalii looked at least as good in that game. Knight should have to go without tonight after that...
  34. albatross

Pre Game Thread, Trial 1: Bulldogs vs Storm @ Belmore, 7pm Thu 15-Feb

Seems like we've been waiting for ages for this. The start of the season never gets old, even though I do. Only a trial but looking forward to seeing Hutchinson, Taafe, Hughes and Skelton the most.
  35. albatross

Watch The Bulldogs On Kayo For Cheaper

I just turn on Kayo and watch what I want and it works. Never had a problem on hard disk, device or smart tv. Maybe it’s a bit hit and miss for others but mines been fine.
  36. albatross

News 'I needed a change': Why Koori Knockout scandal was 'blessing in disguise' for Josh Addo-Carr

Yeah it's the sustainability of just eating meat that's the problem, but he'll get away with for a while being young. If it's really making him feel better, I don't care it's his decision. Probably taking a shitload of vitamin and fibre supplements, but I expect his diet will change soon too.
  37. albatross

Official Gus on Twitter

When Burto earns his money he can have a new mouth. For now he has to stay like a halfwit from Dubbo with half his teeth knocked out. Good motivation for him.
  38. albatross

Feel good News Article - Mahoney

Just more dribbly fake indignation about a non-issue from people who spend their lives looking for things to get all fake-upset about.
  39. albatross

News The Mole: Bulldogs facing 'huge decision' over 'rusty' recruit Bronson Xerri

I’d start Xerri in Cup for a couple of rounds. Even if he’s physically ready, and seems mentally ready, he needs to get the feel of a real 80 minute game again. We should have pretty decent backs in cup so he’ll get plenty of ball.
  40. albatross

Bulldogs express interest in Panthers flyer Taylan May

Text strobing again! I shouldn't struggle through it but I do. After a few fits I even noticed the double L, or is it double i?
  41. albatross

Connor Tracy

I'm not convinced about Tracey or Taafe at fullback, but it looks like it will be one of them. It's easy to get excited about the flashy parts of Tracey, speed and a jink, but a lot of what I've seen is crabbing cross field without much direction. I'd go with him on potential though over...
  42. albatross

Your favourite Bulldogs GF win & why?

All were great but 1995 was best for sure. Came from 6th and I still love watching Ken Arthurson looking for a hole to crawl into as he disgustingly announces us as Premiers. Fuck Manly.
  43. albatross

Official RFM granted immediate release

Is this the last fragment of Des finally gone? It’s suddenly a lot lighter in the dead wood department at the Dogs.
  44. albatross

News Burtons view of the shape of planet Earth.

If you can't work out how the little flat bit your standing on turns into a big round world it's odd, but fortunately it doesn't make any difference to whether you can play footy.
  45. albatross

News The Mole: Bulldogs facing 'huge decision' over 'rusty' recruit Bronson Xerri

Most of the kennel would qualify as top notch journos. Talking shit with a straight face is the main skill needed.
  46. albatross

Let's Trot with Burton

That's a good trio of leaders. I reckon Burto will learn, but he's more like one of the gang now than a leader. If Reed's personal performances don't improve early in the year I reckon Ciro will try Turpin at 14 and give him a rest during games. If we don't start improving Ciro (or whoever is...
  47. albatross

Let's Trot with Burton

I agree, although neither were good last year as captains. Hopefully with a year under their belts and an off season to work on things, they'll be much better. Burton should start by leading with his effort, which Mahoney at least tried to do, but spoilt it with too many mistakes.
  48. albatross

Opinion Captain Super Flop (Powder Puff) RFM [RANT]

Soft is the word. Same in defence, all grabbing and dragging, no driving the ball carrier with force.
  49. albatross

News NRL 2024: Strengths and weaknesses of Canterbury Bulldogs’ forward pack

Sounds motivated with his best prep in a few years. We need him to do what he says. Also good that in interviews our players are talking about what the team needs to do, and not how they found a new best mate, like last year.
  50. albatross

News Cameron Ciraldo Q&A How New Recruits Will Feature In His Quest To Make The Bulldogs A Powerhouse Again

I can't see him starting in Rd1 but good to hear Xerri getting a mention for his effort. Crichton's far from a ready-to-go fullback, so if he was playing there surely he'd be training there. Sounds like it's Tracey at fullback to me.
  51. albatross

The Bulldogs 2024 style of play & Game plan ..

I agree that's what we should try to do. We won't dominate the ruck through big hard talented middles, so urgency in all those little areas is very important. Also need to bring some ball playing through the middle - inside / outside balls like Dymock, Pay, J Smith and Britt were doing as a...
  52. albatross

Opinion King & Knight are an upgrade on TPJ & Thompson

King’s form was pretty good at the start of last year, then he carried an injury and his form dropped. He’s no world beater but he’s much better than he showed in the 2nd half of 2023
  53. albatross

We asked NRL clubs their fastest, fittest and strongest players... the results are stunning

It’s just what happens when this sort of bombshell news causes chaos in RL and melts down the internet. It’s looking grim.
  54. albatross

We asked NRL clubs their fastest, fittest and strongest players... the results are stunning

I'd say a mis-print or a dodgy stop watch. Deardon ran a club record at 4.26.
  55. albatross

Should've sent a response by drone to News HQ. If only we knew what a drone was.
  56. albatross

Opinion Who was your Bulldogs Idol/s when you were growing up?

Agree with the forward pack. We had blokes like Brohman, Gould, Jim Leis, and Robbo at the same time
  57. albatross

Opinion Who was your Bulldogs Idol/s when you were growing up?

Gary Dowling. Then Mark Hughes. David Gillespie and Baa and Turvey like just about everyone.
  58. albatross

News 'Dogs gave me a purpose': Xerri grateful for second chance

Nose deep in the Perkins Paste he was.
  59. albatross

News 'Dogs gave me a purpose': Xerri grateful for second chance

He's one of us now and there's been no evidence of anything lately. I'm happy to have him. Enough of the puff though, just play well, live well and show by your actions for a long time. Worst thing would be if he starts getting painted as a victim.
  60. albatross

Kenty may not do nrl360 for a while

sounds like we agree they should've sacked him long before all this.
  61. albatross

Kenty may not do nrl360 for a while

Kent deserves his job back whether you like him or not. I don't, but he's innocent and it's only fair if that happens to you. When he's on 360 it's all about him hogging the show and bagging anyone who doesn't agree with him - over and over until it's time for the next topic. Sometimes I...
  62. albatross

News 5 Talking Points

Hasn't played much footy in the last few years but has a decent body for it. I thought he was getting a few more post contact metres the last I saw of him, but like you said, it would help a lot if he stands up.
  63. albatross

News 5 Talking Points

For sure. Could be the difference this year if at least one of those 2 can find their feet in NRL. Hughes probably more likely IMO
  64. albatross

News Jacob Preston is on ‘Bloke in a bar’

What an good human. We need blokes who are more hardcore in the mix, but this bloke is as solid as they come, like Turvey, Baa, Robbo etc.
  65. albatross

Board re-elected unopposed

Well said. We've got some really good ingredients now to get back to finals and sustain it. Probably not this year in NRL without middles, but what's coming up through the grades, and happening around the club, looks really good.
  66. albatross

Opinion What Position Will Tracey Play

I doubt Tracey's in our top 13 once Xerri finds his feet. He could start the season at centre, depending on how Ciro wants to use Kiraz and Wilson. He's a good backup for all backline positions though, and fast, so he's still a great buy IMO. Buying him makes me think Taafe's being looked at...
  67. albatross

Official Gus's Message

Nice to see Gus putting a bit of public pressure on Ciro. Hopefully we get a bit less best mate and a bit more good, hard coach.
  68. albatross

News Canterbury head of football Phil Gould has been caught in another clandestine meeting, this time with a potential signing — New Zealand Warriors forwa

I’m not sure - I’d say the Warriors could impose that condition, however I doubt there is a universal rule. Gus has already said AFB won’t come cheap so I doubt there any restrictions on offers. Having said that I hope you are right cause it would help us if there was a maximum wage limit involved.
  69. albatross

News Canterbury head of football Phil Gould has been caught in another clandestine meeting, this time with a potential signing — New Zealand Warriors forwa

I agree we need to go hard for him, and pay a bit more if needed for a marquee in a position we really need. Just saying I can see the Tigers offering silly money.
  70. albatross

If AFB imagines himself in our side, we'd be be stronger than Saints or Tigers with him, but my guess is the Dragons and Tigers will offer him more than us, especially Tigers. Hopefully Gus's silky tongue works on him. Very interested to see if he makes a quick decision
  71. albatross

News Canterbury In Box Seat To Sign Connor Tracey From Cronulla Sharks

The Kennel is off tap this off season. Another shit year and trolls will probably have the majority.
  72. albatross

In the Dog house: Concerns grow for Addo-Carr’s future after brawl

It's repeated infringements now.
  73. albatross

Sio Siua Taukeiaho Signed

whew!
  74. albatross

Official Gus on Twitter

I got a headache trying to read that last bit.
  75. albatross

News Did Phil Gould get guilty about RFM drama? Brent Read thinks so (says Gus is lying)

Just another jouno who thinks it's all about them. Gus clearly had his own agenda and knew he couldn't terminate RFM so wanted to make a point by stringing it out in public a bit. Personally I would have preferred it to have been fully sorted before training started, but Gus had full control...
  76. albatross

News 'We need to get to the bottom of it': Manager baffled as Bulldogs ice out skipper

DT just guessed the RLPA was involved. Nothing but a couple of unsourced comments from journos with agendas, and no evidence.
  77. albatross

Official Canterbury Bulldogs 2024 NRL Draw

Same here. I'm home by a bit before 5 so it's perfect. Then again, it could stuff up a few weekends pretty early. I don't mind the draw, apart from 2 away games to start. There's only 1 game out of Sydney in the first 10 rounds, and the first bye is nicely placed. Might as well see how our...
  78. albatross

News 'We need to get to the bottom of it': Manager baffled as Bulldogs ice out skipper

Agree, but if he’s done that, just be completely open about it and sack him. Surely a payout for sacking him wouldn’t cost more than having him sit on his arse getting paid for the next 2 years.
  79. albatross

2024 starting 17 .... who's in your team?

I agree with Skelton's attacking ability, but he seemed to get injured a lot last year, just for a week or two here and there. Maybe he was carrying something? I'm pretty sure he was injured the week Quai-Ward got a run. I think his defence was probably a bit of a concern at centre too...
  80. albatross

The club obviously reckons RFM has done things that aren't in the best interests of the team. Regardless of what some people are spewing out as 'facts', we don't know the full story, but the club believes they've 's seen enough to not want him around. He can't play at FG level so I'm happy...
  81. albatross

Opinion Update on Signings

He was only ever gonna be good for the odd explosive moment. Doesn’t have the fitness or mentality to go far IMO. We need blokes that thrive in tough going.
  82. albatross

Opinion 2023 defence observation

Mann, Salmon and Hutchinson are tough quality players, but smallish. Finding a way to use them effectively is a big challenge for Ciraldo.
  83. albatross

Official Gus on Twitter

Phull sounds kiwi. Might've been hiding out there and picked up an accent.
  84. albatross

Would be a start and probably as good as it gets from our batch of middles. Problem would still be a lack of size, speed and ability. Fonua-Blake's glowing like the Holy Grail right now.
  85. albatross

That's fair to keep it above board.
  86. albatross

If a club attracts good players to take under's, they deserve the benefit of that IMO. We just need to become that club again.
  87. albatross

News Transfer bombshell: NRL’s highest-paid prop requests release

Hopefully the off season miracle we’ve been hoping for.
  88. albatross

News Transfer bombshell: NRL’s highest-paid prop requests release

I agree Webster's done a brilliant job and shown himself to be a top coach. We've got some good players too, but Ciraldo wasn't able to get the best out of them in year 1 for sure. I'm not sure what sets the top coaches apart from the others (Bennett, Bellamy, Jack Gibson and Mal Reilly are...
  89. albatross

Official Gus on Twitter

that's what Gus is aiming for - basically the Penrith model. Only works well when the junior base is working well, which is starting to happen, including some good young players from elsewhere. We now need to get a prop and a half into those marquee spots, but they're scarce. Fair point about...
  90. albatross

Rumour Looks like we've got another young talent

I know what you're saying about us stuffing our developing juniors around, but this bloke looks like a centre to me, especially with that awesome fend.
  91. albatross

Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

Just wondering who our ‘plenty’ of second rowers are? After Kik’s and Preston it’s pretty thin IMO
  92. albatross

Gus on 7 News - 8-9 signings in coming weeks

Skelton and Perham.
  93. albatross

News FIVE November 1 targets for every club: Canterbury Bulldogs

I'm certain these jounos write their stuff based on other jouno's nonsense. They can't be watching our games or looking at our squad. We need props most and Rudolf wouldn't solve it, he'd just help a little bit. Deardon would be great IMO. Very underrated, very fit and getting better.
  94. albatross

Curran signed.

I like Mann too. Punches way above his weight in defence and can do some clever stuff around the ruck.
  95. albatross

Curran signed.

Something like that I'd say. I like Curran too. King's spot could go to Sutton or Knight, but it looks pretty right. That whole front row rotation is gonna have to play way above itself for us to be any chance of finishing outside the bottom 4 though cause it's a bottom 4 front row for sure...