Search results

1. steve_mortimer

Opinion Was Shifty our best ever 7? If not who was better??

Turvey by a country mile! Daylight second!
  2. steve_mortimer

Our Biggest Dud Signings in the Last 10 Years

If you ever wanted an example of how not to run a club, she was it!
  3. steve_mortimer

1980 Reserve Grade Grand Final

Some fantastic memories shared! Thanks to one and all for the great stories. That Parramatta reserve grade team sure had some talent! I do miss the days of watching all three grades on GF day. As to a video of the game? My old fella said Channel 10 were the first to show all three grades on...
  4. steve_mortimer

Official Round 2 - Dogs vs Eels - Consolidated Match Thread

I think it is also safe to say Dean Pay is not anywhere near good enough to coach at this level.
  5. steve_mortimer

Official Round 2 - Dogs vs Eels - Consolidated Match Thread

This is by far and away the worst Canterbury team I have watched since I began watching the Dogs at Belmore in 1984. There are some serious problems inside this club and drastic changes need to happen now.
  6. steve_mortimer

Opinion NRL has to decide on expansion or relocation writes Paul Kent

When I was referring the Brisbane Second Division comp in 2009, there were the following grades.... Under 20’s: 1 comp Under 22’s: 1 comp Open 4: A Northside comp and a Southside comp Open 3: As above Open 2: As above Open 1: As above You had a total of 10 comps running. In 2019 you...
  7. steve_mortimer

Opinion NRL has to decide on expansion or relocation writes Paul Kent

Relocating a club won’t work. If expansion is done, two completely new identities need to be considered. My big beef is the amount of games that get played out of ANZ stadium. It’s by far and away the worst stadium in the entire country yet there is an incredibly large scale of games played...
  8. steve_mortimer

Official 2019 Jersey

This is a complete farce! All the momentum of new season sales has been lost! How on earth do you fuck something up so bad?
  9. steve_mortimer

Official 2019 Jersey

This is truly farcical! You would think the club would at least release a statement with some kind of info? Whoever has been placed in charge of this needs to be sacked!
  10. steve_mortimer

Official 2019 Jersey

You would have thought the club would make some kind of announcement by now with just two weeks to go? Where the hell is this jersey?
  11. steve_mortimer

Official 2019 Jersey

Less than 4 weeks from the season starting and still no sign of the new jersey’s. This looks like a half decent jersey and I will be thrilled to grab one if they ever hit stores!
  12. steve_mortimer

Cameron Smith set to become all time points record holder!

Was reading last night that Smith is set to overhaul Hazem next season. Sitting just 36 points behind, it would take a season ending injury early on for Smith fail in his chase of the record. A real shame to see an absolute twat of a player like Smith get a record he doesn’t really deserve.
  13. steve_mortimer

Official 2019 Jersey

My thoughts exactly. The alternative jersey’s make for a nice change too.
  14. steve_mortimer

a gauge on the popularity of the 9's

Rubbish concept. Never really watched it in all the years.
  15. steve_mortimer

Bulldogs memorabilia for sale

Getting a few offers in so far. Still getting blown away by the wonderful messages from people on here.
  16. steve_mortimer

Players in the crowd ...

That would be great for a laugh. Not sure how the QLD supporters would handle it mind. :)
  17. steve_mortimer

Hi all, I have been blown away by the acts of generosity over the past couple of days with so many lovely messages. It means a lot to see so many of you passing on kind words. I am happy to post to anyone in NSW as well as QLD with free registered post so the items arrive safe and secure. The...
  18. steve_mortimer

Thanks for the kind words guys. Greatly appreciated. :) As much as I love these items if selling them can help cover the medical bills then so be it.
  19. steve_mortimer

Hi all, Due to my mothers continued ill health over the past year I am in a position where I am regrettably having to sell some of my Bulldogs memorabilia in order to help cover her continued medical costs which keep mounting. I thought it would be best to come directly to you guys as this way...
  20. steve_mortimer

broncos: 30, 0000 members?

I think it comes down to the fact Brisbane is a one team town. And Suncorp is not that good a stadium.
  21. steve_mortimer

The Quick Tap

When I ref I always give every opportunity for quick taps. Opposition captains will often try and slow it down with dumb questions to which I almost always hold my hand up at the approaching captain and say something like.... "We will talk about it when you've got the ball. You're offside at...
  22. steve_mortimer

Match Day Thread: Canterbury Bulldogs vs Broncos @ ANZ Stadium

4-1 peno against us and good field position for them in the first 15 minutes which had them up 12-0 so, despite missing an obvious touch of flare in attack we did ok.
  23. steve_mortimer

Mighty Bulldogs DVD set?

Thanks so much for that! :) I had been looking online and didn't even think to call the club store. Will buzz them tomorrow.
  24. steve_mortimer

Liverpool relegation watch 2012/13

It shall be great to know that Manchester United will not be playing in any European competitions next season. Can't wait to see their army of bandwagon jumpers fall by the wayside. ;)
  25. steve_mortimer

Mighty Bulldogs DVD set?

Anyone know where to grab this DVD set? My mum has become very ill over the past few years (she's 68 this June) and since she hasn't lived in Belmore for almost 20 years I wanted to grab these DVD's as a bit of a way to cheer her up as she always talks of her days growing up in and around...
  26. steve_mortimer

NRL referee Gavin Morris suspended and fined for punching touch judge Terry Pascoe

It has a lot to do with us spending three nights a week together, all our weekends in each others back pockets and well, you get the drift. A lot of them become close friends. Pascoe and Morris became good fiends a few years ago up here in Brisbane and Pascoe spends NYE down there every year...
  27. steve_mortimer

Dogs to host NRL game at Belmore in 2015

It's a bit sad that the NRL want to force all clubs into bigger stadiums. In round 1 we already have 3 games being played out of ANZ Stadium. The reason why many of us love the game is because of the smaller atmospheric suburban grounds. :)
  28. steve_mortimer

Channel Nine calls for personal apology from foul-mouthed Bulldogs after Mad Monday

I have to admit, I stopped watching 9 many years ago now because of their tabloid journalism. These days I only trust SBS and ABC for decent news...ohh, and BBC World News service on Foxtel. ****, i'm getting old when the first thing I do of a morning is put on BBC world news!
  29. steve_mortimer

Swallow Our Pride

I agree. Be positive. But the club have been very, very positive in recent years with various programs running via the club to put something back into the community. And then we have all the players who came up to QLD and helped with the flood recovery in early 2011. It isn't too bad at the...
  30. steve_mortimer

Chris Urquhart article on the bulldogs (not good)

Very good point. I'm sure the media knows how our supporters react which is why the club is such an easy target. There seems to be a good deal of negative words used on these forums which gets nowhere. Remain positive, ignore the papers, radio and TV articles and just enjoy the great club...
  31. steve_mortimer

Support - or there lack of (James Graham)

I've been to give evidence as a referee at judiciary many times over the past 18 years and have seen and heard some pretty amazing cock and bull stories fed by players and advocates/lawyers to get them off...and it has sometimes worked! I may be wrong but from what I heard on Fox sports news...
  32. steve_mortimer

Contentious points in the grand final

If the referee wants a fast game then you have to play accordingly. Sure the first couple of pens against us were a little harsh but those things are judgement calls by the referee. I watch back games I referee on DVD and sometimes think to myself "Jeez, I was a little harsh on those A and B...
  33. steve_mortimer

Any decent, genuine red would not say what this guy has said on other threads. He doesn't deserve the right to support LFC after some of the crud he has posted. Made me sick in the stomach.
  34. steve_mortimer

That was a knock on for your life. Ball knocked forward into a Melbourne hand. Correct call was made. Also the tackle on Morris in the 29th minute was a loose carry. The Melbourne player was making a tackle and not making a play at the ball. Then at the end of the following set Reynolds...
  35. steve_mortimer

Whilst I can understand the frustration over some calls in the match perhaps the fact the better team won might have something to do with it? Should we remember the knock on before the first Melbourne try? And their second and third tries also came off Canterbury drop balls. It was never an 8...
  36. steve_mortimer

Canterbury Bulldogs fans impeccably behaved at NRL grand final

Best just to ignore stories like this. :) I suspect the people who write these articles spend a few minutes surfing sites like this and get a kick out of seeing so many supporters upset. Maybe it is best just to ignore the media reports and not post them on here?
  37. steve_mortimer

The report you won't hear!

I think you will find it was 207 feet into the air..or so it seemed on the night. I am still amazed at how the little things didn't fall our way as they had been doing all year.
  38. steve_mortimer

Soccer The Liverpool FC Super Thread

Those comments should still not be allowed on this site. Joke or no joke they are sick and disgusting comments to post. And he is no Liverpool supporter. The little bell end gob ****e never will be a Liverpool supporter.
  39. steve_mortimer

Justice For The 96 - The Truth

OK I to shall have to put my two cents worth in here. Firstly, like some have mentioned, many of the supporters were sent into the central pen. The two side pens were nowhere near full capacity. The supporters had no idea of what they were heading into. There are always going to be...
  40. steve_mortimer

Exactly. Through thick and thin we go as Reds. :)
  41. steve_mortimer

<removed quote> Can one of the mods please delete this tripe? My grandfather was at Hillsborough along with family friends. I am deeply upset by this Heysel rubbish, joke or no joke what you have posted is sick. The last few weeks have been very emotional for myself and family members...
  42. steve_mortimer

"Fans" burning Storm jerseys

I've got to say after heading down from Brisbane for the game and to catch up with old friends and see my old house, school and such I saw no dramas at all in my few days in and around the area. Al the supporters we met were wonderful and the shop keepers were all up for a yarn and happy to...
  43. steve_mortimer

Sunday will help heal us all ...

Am gutted I couldn't make it. Had flights booked, ticket sorted but work called me in for an emergancy on Saturday when my flight was due to go. :( I miss games at that ground something chornic. Hope you all had a wonderful time. Looks like it was a blast for everyone there.
  44. steve_mortimer

All booked and paid up for a quick 6 day return trip for the Cup Final later this month. :) Now, wins over Spurs and Utd will finish off a fine few weeks. Then batter Brighton in the FA Cup and win the League Cup a week later.
  45. steve_mortimer

Soccer The Gunners Super Thread

I would like to see Arsenal buy a decent keeper and invest a new manager over the summer. It would be a great shame to see Wegner finish his career at the club with a team capable of mid table finishes.
  46. steve_mortimer

Robbie Slater gives it to Craig Foster

Slater needs his head read. All Foster was stating is that we run too quickly to British managers for the A-League. It's not racist in any way. It is fact. Perhaps if Slater gave up the "Three Stooges" act on Fox and got on with football he wouldn't have so much spare time to whip up...
  47. steve_mortimer

I've been going over for 3 months a year over the past 12 years to follow the red men. I was at the Anfield protests over H&G in late 2010 and can tell you now the damage done by those two bell ends to the club worse than what one could imagine. It was was always going to take time to get...
  48. steve_mortimer

I mentioned on here a year or so back that it was time for Arsenal to look for a new manager and was roundly talked down for doing so. It's been too long between drinks at Arsenal and the time has come to let the manager go and move forward. It's looking like another trophy free year for...
  49. steve_mortimer

Best dogs game/s you've ever been to?

My greatest memory/game as a child was in 1984 at Belmore, sitting on my grandfathers shoulders watching Peter Mortimer score a double against Canberra. I don't know why but that game sticks out as being one of my fondest/earliest memories as a Dogs fan. There was something special at...
  50. steve_mortimer

I was very impressed with the reception given to the travelling reds. I've been to a few Arsenal away trips in my time and have always been welcomed by the Gooners. :) As to Kenny telling Wegner where to go? From what I saw it looked like he went to shake hands then Wegner had words to say...
  51. steve_mortimer

I wonder where all the Arsenal fans are now who slated me for declaring three months ago that they would choke again in all competitions. Maybe Wegner will have to go 10 seasons with nothing before the powers that be within the club realise it is time he was moved on?
  52. steve_mortimer

traditional scrums are making a come back

Also for those wanting the scrum done away with...could you imagine, with the game as fast as it is having no stoppages for scrums? Players need a scrum for a breather more than anything else. It is just plain silly to suggest the scrums to be banished.
  53. steve_mortimer

traditional scrums are making a come back

We had Bill up in Brisbane last week to brief us on changes for 2011. As to the scrums what we have been instructed to do is get half backs square on, forwards packed in and to stay in until the referee calls out, the ball to be fed with both hands on the ball point to point and oposing half...
  54. steve_mortimer

He is a class act but sadly Barca is his only calling point if and when he does leave. The Fulham match was one of those scrappy affairs that they simply had to win at all costs. Stoke at home you would think should be another 3 points which would see Kenny take 10 from the past 12...
  55. steve_mortimer

Asian Cup final: Japan v Australia

Considering they have the chance to play the 2015 Asian Cup on home soil as defending champions this is a massive game for football in Australia over the next few years. Not too bad a time either on a Saturday night for the nation to get behind the team in pubs and clubs the land over.
  56. steve_mortimer

Arsenal don't have the petrol in the tank to make it through to May. They had the best run in last season and blew it. They need to start beating the other high flyers on a regular basis, which they don't. Fabregas is likely to be off to Barca in the summer and they need him on the pitch...
  57. steve_mortimer

Arsenal have not won a trophy in 6 years, the manager won't invest in a quality keeper and in does ANYONE here honestly think they will win either the EPL or CL this year? Rafa had one bad season on all fronts and everyone wanted his head. Arsenal have a manager who comes out in a press gig...
  58. steve_mortimer

Your story as a fan ...

1. What age/year do you remember starting your support ? Around 1983 when I was 6 my pop started taking me to Belmore for games. Mum was born and bred in Belmore so pop felt the family tradition should continue. 2. Who influenced you most ? My pop. He bled blue and white and was...
  59. steve_mortimer

Origin Legends Game / Flood fundraiser - Parra 27th Jan

Sam Backo? Sheesh...how big would he be these days?
  60. steve_mortimer

Expansion of the NRL VS Relocation of certain NRL teams

I'm all for expansion but like others here have said, why expand when only a few years back we were condensing? I'd hate to see the NRL become a franchise situation where teams come and go every few years. In 1982 we had Canberra and Illawarra. Both teams took time to find their feet...
  61. steve_mortimer

"I'm coming back with my mates and plenty of guns to fix you bastards up."

Rip his contract up and let him rot. I'm sick and tired of these spoilt brats getting away with this sort of rubbish. I'm over their sob stories, excuses and general poor attitude to the world around them. And this sort of rubbish will still happen untill the NRL start tearing up...
  62. steve_mortimer

Do ppl honestly think Liverpool will be down and out for the next 5-10 years? Arsenal have not won sweet fa in the past 6 years and their best bet this season is the League Cup. The Gooners are no chance for a title tilt and won't progress past the quarter finals of the CL and still they won't...
  63. steve_mortimer

Liverpool FC Relegation Watch

Relegation? It 'aint and won't be happening.
  64. steve_mortimer

You know what I find most delightful about the LFC situation? All those knocking the club now will one day soon be on the other side of the fence. 'Ole whiskey nose won't be at Salford Utd for too much longer and Arsenal have not won sweet FA for over 6 years. Chelski are proof that money...
  65. steve_mortimer

2011 Jerseys

I saw these new kits in the flesh for the first time yesterday and they look much better in person. Sadly with the heritage kit they have gone away from the basics which was the whole point of a heritage kit was it not?
  66. steve_mortimer

QLD floods

It isn't good up here guys. :( As a Sydney born and bred boy it is really sadto see so many ppl up here having everything taken away from them. My parents house has gone under out west. We were evacuated from our house in Windsor yesterday and we can do now is hope that the damage isn't as...
  67. steve_mortimer

Johnathan Thurston holds NRL to ransom

Thurston is fast losing touch with reality I am afraid. How about he has a look at ticket prices the working class pay to watch him each week.
  68. steve_mortimer

Dragons Jersey for Charity Shield

Not a fan tbh..it is up to the kids to stop buying them but try telling the kids they can't have the latest kit. Bet they are charging $170 plus for it too!
  69. steve_mortimer

Cricket's top 10 moments of decade

Ahh, Tugger and his final ball ton! Still get tears in the eyes when I think of that day...seems like only yesterday :) I would have loved to have been around in the late 40's and 50's..some great Aussie teams in that era!
  70. steve_mortimer

Hit'n'giggle killing the real game, says skipper

Dead right. Twenty20 is a flash in the pan for entertainment seekers who don't give a flying proverbial for the real game of cricket. I went to the All Stars game a few weeks ago..dead boring and most ppl there were more interested in drinking beer and complaining because there were not enough...
  71. steve_mortimer

Alcohol summit to sober up NRL

The game is going to continue to be dragged in the mud as long as we continue to use alcohol as a major player in sponsorship. Clear it out of the game in every way then you might see some changes. I refuse to take my neice to the NRL anymore due to the language thrown about, violent...
  72. steve_mortimer

Records: El Masri Hazem All

Btw, what happened to all the Haz haters from 2008? ;) I see alot of egg on face now!
  73. steve_mortimer

Records: El Masri Hazem All

Slighty off topic here but Ozman, I met Nando the other week and got my book signed by him. Really nice guy in person. Very modest and easy going :)
  74. steve_mortimer

Hazem El-Masri Tributes & Mega Thread

I am super choked up now and am on the other side of the world ffs! Gonna miss Haz more than anything...my biggest Dogs idol since Baa :)
  75. steve_mortimer

Hazem El-Masri Tributes & Mega Thread

Very sad to see Haz go out so close to a GF :( I feel empty....
  76. steve_mortimer

Best Video Ever, St George fans watch it!

That is class! I am still laffing :)
  77. steve_mortimer

Tigers v Raiders Spoilers

So all you needed was a Raiders win to collect? That has gotta suck! I have had loads of multi bets in the past 12 months that have come down to the last one or two where i have had the fave's and they always seem to get done....
  78. steve_mortimer

Pink Referees Jersey

The Clarke jersey? It is green. Clarke and both touchies signed it as well. Am going to get it framed soon with my pass and programe from the game. I was touch judge in the Arrive Alive semi before the main game and spent the NRL game in the video ref box with Tim Mander. Was one of the best...
  79. steve_mortimer

Thank you ball boys, thank you touch judges.....time to head off and collect my Tigers 1-12 at the TAB :)
  80. steve_mortimer

The casual footy fans will like it. Plenty of tries..but tbh it is a rubbish game. I still think the Tigers can win..provided they score next. Seems like there bad run of luck at Campbelltown may continue.
  81. steve_mortimer

Pink Referees Jersey

You have two options.... 1. Break into the gear cupboard at the Refs HQ (or the Asics factory) or... 2. Become a ref and work your way to the top :) I actually have Steve Clarke's on field shirt from the Bulldogs V Brisbane game in 2007 won 17-16 by the dish lickers. :) Did a swap...
  82. steve_mortimer

It's brilliant - All the teams I hate have lost this weekend - LOL !!!

I had some coin on Saints for a 1-12 in the margins. Bugger.
  83. steve_mortimer

Pink Referees Jersey

It is for the NBCF. They will wear them all season apparently. And what is it with sport and homophobic attitudes in this country? We are almost as bad as the Yanks.
  84. steve_mortimer

"I was too drunk to remember anything." - Stewart

When he says he can't remember I smell a big rat. Just like Lockyer last year wehn he said he could not remember tackling a bar manager. Jeez these footballers can be weak excuses for human beings at times. Very dissapointing. :(
  85. steve_mortimer

Hunt offered $1million 3 year deal

I'm a little worried we are going to have a stream of NRL players putting out the pay me this much or else ransom.
  86. steve_mortimer

John Cartwright is concerned about the rise in pre-season penalties

What? One extra penalty per game in the trials and he wants royal commission? Maybe two refs might just stop the grapple, ball stripping and other ****e that goes on in the ruck?
  87. steve_mortimer

New NRL ad

I'm not the biggest fan of it but it is better than others from previous years.
  88. steve_mortimer

Gould's 2009 predictions

I have a hunch we may see a dark horse lead the charge this year. Maybe a repeat of the 205 charge by Wests? But who?
  89. steve_mortimer

leeds vs hkr on channel 9 now

Super League makes the NRL look like under 7s park footy for atmoshpere.
  90. steve_mortimer

THE SALARY CAP - An in depth explanation.

Long story short clubs will still find a way to cheat the cap no matter how big or small.
  91. steve_mortimer

Roll Call: Trial Match 28/2/09 In Brisbane

Guys, you all have nothing to worry about. I played for the old club Logan City who used to run out of there in my late teens. Have refereed on the ground countless times and not once seen any hassle. Take you kids and friends, enjoy the game and have no fear of any crowd trouble :) They...
  92. steve_mortimer

Roll Call: Trial Match 28/2/09 In Brisbane

I will be there. At this stage I might be touch judging the game or the QLD Cup game...fingers crossed it pulls thrugh....otherwise I should be there as a specy. :)
  93. steve_mortimer

Danny Weidler is back

He is boss for light hearted relief. :)
  94. steve_mortimer

What you'd like to see in 2009

I am dead excited about Hazem having the record and playing a great season. :) Most of all I would love to see the coaches start accepting that maybe the other team played better and stop nit picking at calls by the referee in 16th, 23rd, 25th and 51st minutes that "cost us the game." I...
  95. steve_mortimer

2GB & NRL are pr*cks ! Let HG & Roy call the SOO !!!

If Hadley is as good as he always reminds us then why would he be worried about Roy and HG? I remember as a kid listening to about 6 differant radio stations cover the league. ABC, 2GB, 2UE, 2SM, 2KY and i'm sure there was another station.
  96. steve_mortimer

I've just spent 3 months over there watching games and I can assure you Rafa is going nowhere, H&G will be forced to sell within a year, Everton are still rubbish, the league is the priority over any other comp and never beleive anything you read in the Sun.
  97. steve_mortimer

Pics of David Stagg's first training session this morning

See what happens when you head away for 3 months..you miss this dodgy Bronco turning out in blue and white. Thank god I will be home in a week to catch up on all things footy.
  98. steve_mortimer

Abramovich puts Chelsea for sale?

Can't see this happening..all media speculation i am afraid.
  99. steve_mortimer

The boys are playing good constructive football...most of all the passing game looks sublime. Am off to Preston for the Cup tie on Saturday...Keane should get a run by the sounds of things. Now, all together.... Robbie Keane, Robbie Keane His name's not f***ing Keano Robbie Keane!