Gerard Sutton SHAFT'S The Bulldogs Again

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why does it need to help us?
We won and Curran wasn’t hurt.
Nothing else matters.
For everyone getting their knickers in a knot about their arch enemy Sutton - he’s been overruled by the MRC and Sezer is out for a month. We have bigger things to worry about like playing the three-peat Premiers in 5 days time. I bet that’s what Ciraldo is thinking about.
Pretty sure OP doesn't advocate for CC or GG or anyone else getting involved, he wants more noise in the media, pointing out what appears pretty obvious. Whether it is conscious or unconscious only Sutton knows, but the bias is there.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Which is fair enough. I actually wish I can watch without thinking there isn't manipulation, but I get reminded nearly every game.

But I tell you what, it's even more sweeter every win we get knowing we beat the opposition and the refs.
With the amount of gambling in sports these days I’d find it hard to believe there isn’t some outside influences on the game at times.

It happens in other sports and rugby league isn’t run by brilliant minds unfortunately.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, making a dopey comparison between a rugby league referee and a war criminal is more accurate.
I'm brining attention to your thinking process and just because this didn't happen we should move on and just forget it.

Try tell that to someone who has been a victim of attempted murder. " look it wasn't murder it didn't happen so let's just move on he got a bond let's move on here".

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I've been saying it for a long time now. The bunker is a flunker.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty sure OP doesn't advocate for CC or GG or anyone else getting involved, he wants more noise in the media, pointing out what appears pretty obvious. Whether it is conscious or unconscious only Sutton knows, but the bias is there.
If it were true (or even obvious beyond disgruntled Dogs fans) and the NRL is serious about its image and running a professional sport and business why hasn’t this already happened? We have enough allies in the media if we needed that - Weidler takes his cues from Gus and Anasta Is fairly pro-Bulldog. My view is it hasn’t happened because there’s not much substance to it. I bet once we’re consistently playing finals again a lot of the noise goes away too. It’s the same old story.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm brining attention to your thinking process and just because this didn't happen we should move on and just forget it.

Try tell that to someone who has been a victim of attempted murder. " look it wasn't murder it didn't happen so let's just move on he got a bond let's move on here".
I guess you’re acknowledging comparing a rugby league referee to a war criminal was a bit over the top so great idea to dial it back to attempted murder :tearsofjoy:.

Actually, since your detective work is so outstanding, Sutton should be charged with attempted murder - of Bulldogs fans pride. Good luck with that in court :-).

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
With the amount of gambling in sports these days I’d find it hard to believe there isn’t some outside influences on the game at times.

It happens in other sports and rugby league isn’t run by brilliant minds unfortunately.
I received a telephone call one night about 4 days before I was going to referee a knockout semi final in Open age A grade junior league Back in the late 80’s. The caller said he would make it worth my while if a certain team won. I don’t know how he got my home number because it was a silent number.

i then rang the Secretary of our referees association to report it.

The next night he rang me to say the committee had switched my appointment with the referee allocated to the knockout semi in the next highest grade.

i had no other option.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I received a telephone call one night about 4 days before I was going to referee a knockout semi final in Open age A grade junior league Back in the late 80’s. The caller said he would make it worth my while if a certain team won. I don’t know how he got my home number because it was a silent number.

i then rang the Secretary of our referees association to report it.

The next night he rang me to say the committee had switched my appointment with the referee allocated to the knockout semi in the next highest grade.

i had no other option.
Yeah I've heard of a bunch of similar stories from an old mate who worked with several refs in the 60s and 70s. It would be blissful ignorance to deny that these kinds attempts aren't made.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
rugby league isn’t run by brilliant minds unfortunately.
Abdo is a Chartered Accountant with an MBA.
V’Landys is an AM, is also an accountant with a Commerce degree and sits on several boards.

I think that’s adequate intelligence to do the sums.

Any alternative suggestions? How about some of the brilliant TK minds like those who compare NRL referees to murderers and war criminals :tearsofjoy:.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard of a bunch of similar stories from an old mate who worked with several refs in the 60s and 70s. It would be blissful ignorance to deny that these kinds attempts aren't made.
I have heard stories too. What bugged me though is. My home number was silent.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess you’re acknowledging comparing a rugby league referee to a war criminal was a bit over the top so great idea to dial it back to attempted murder :tearsofjoy:.

Actually, since your detective work is so outstanding, Sutton should be charged with attempted murder - of Bulldogs fans pride. Good luck with that in court :-).
I'm glad you agree with me finally. Thankyou.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Of course there’s the odd crook and no-one has said anything otherwise. They’ve been at it in sport forever. That’s a big difference though from allegations of wholesale corruption by the administrators of the sport.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Of course there’s the odd crook and no-one has said anything otherwise. They’ve been at it in sport forever. That’s a big difference though from allegations of wholesale corruption by the administrators of the sport.
Yes, but knowing what we know, the wisdom of having a betting partner is at the least questionable. It leaves the game open to these kinds of accusations, and it really isn't necessary.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yes, but knowing what we know, the wisdom of having a betting partner is at the least questionable. It leaves the game open to these kinds of accusations, and it really isn't necessary.
Where else would the money come from once tobacco sponsorship was outlawed? Broadcast revenue pays the club grants which is more or less the player and staff wages. Who has deep enough pockets - booze? The Karens would likely have a problem with that too…

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is both the reason this won’t happen and should happen.

The Bunker needs to go to a full time panel of 5 judges. Full time employees that officiate on every single game. With their job being a full time bunker official. Making decisions more consistent across the ball. Also taking the opportunity for corruption much further away. With majority rules.

The biggest issue with this is gambling. From a financial perspective is a huge part of the game. The game itself and the people running the game are too intrenched in gambling to ever change anything to threaten that.

5 bunker referees all sitting in their own independent bunkers not talking to each other all make their decision. Majority rules. It is so simple. It will get way more things right than now. Less if not take the howler out of the game. With consistency game on game!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Where else would the money come from once tobacco sponsorship was outlawed? Broadcast revenue pays the club grants which is more or less the player and staff wages. Who has deep enough pockets - booze? The Karens would likely have a problem with that too…
Bit of a deflection from my point, but I'll go with it.

The money the sport is getting from gambling revenue is increasing, and the LV move is about expanding it all the more. It might seem like a good move right now, but becoming increasingly dependent on this revenue comes with greater risk. The cost to society of gambling addiction is difficult to quantify, but it is certainly higher than most estimates. The worse it gets, the more likelihood that government will end up doing something about it. It is a game that ultimately has no winners, other than the house, and when the house gets too big and too on the nose, authorities generally end up doing something. Gambling addicts come in all shapes and sizes, there isn't a reliable way to really reveal who is at risk previous to gambling activity, and it is really insidious. I work with addicts, and I feel more hopeful of success working with Heroin addicts than I do gambling ones.

The better question is not how RL can afford to go on without gambling money, but can it afford to continue building dependance on it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn’t help us in the game or potentially our for & against…
Our F/A is going OK, conceding 17 points per game - half of last year. Says a lot about our defence. Compare that to Flanno at the Steelers who has them conceding an average of 26 points per game. Or Cows, or Eels…