Bellamy renews calls for NRL coaches union

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne's Craig Bellamy says NRL coaches need to unite in an association in light of Des Hasler's sacking from Canterbury this week.
Source:
AAP
8 HOURS AGO
Craig Bellamy has renewed calls for a NRL coaches' union after two-time premiership winner Des Hasler's sacking from Canterbury on Tuesday.

Hasler was sacked just months after the Bulldogs announced he had signed a two-year contract extension, in a matter that could be headed for the courts.

Melbourne coach Bellamy and Hasler have enjoyed a distinct rivalry for the best part of a decade, with the pair facing off in three grand finals between 2007 and 2012.

But without wanting to comment on the complicated nature of Hasler's dismissal, Bellamy said more needed to be done for the most under-pressure men in the NRL.

"That (an association) came up 12-18 months ago and we all thought it was a good idea," Bellamy told AAP.

"Actually getting it up and running, it hasn't happened yet. Hopefully we all do. It'll be something to help coaches."

Hasler's axing follows that of Jason Taylor (Wests Tigers), Neil Henry (Gold Coast) and most recently Michael Maguire (South Sydney) and came after months of speculation about his future.

This year was Hasler's first at missing the NRL finals since his rookie season as coach in 2004 at Manly.

While he was the fourth NRL coach to be sacked this season, NSW State of Origin mentor Laurie Daley was also shown the door by the Blues.

Hasler is now the 13th head coach to be sacked in the NRL in the past four years.

Bellamy's calls come after Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson has made several calls for the establishment of an association over the past two years.

"I'm not sure where you've got to start with it," Bellamy said.

"If Trent wants to do that, he'll get a lot of support from the other coaches."

A similar union was established by AFL coaches in 2002, and it now has more than 150 members made up of fulltime senior and assistant coaches across the 18 clubs.

It largely looks after the overall welfare of its members, assists in career transition and skills development.

The union also serves to give the coaches a united voice to the AFL on issues such as rules and media.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was Hasler really sacked? His contracts up in October... we didn't follow up with an extension.. end of story

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
My heart breaks for them. They make 10 times the average wage of any Australian and they're expected to get results as well!?!?!?! Damn... must be tough.

I highly doubt any of the coaches that have been sacked this year are going hungry at the moment. Des for one manages yo suck a fair few million out of the club before he was shown the door.
People would die for an opportunity to do 5 years of hard work for a few millions dollars and be set for life... These peasants expect a lifetime garuantee of sucking a club dry without consequences.

The only coach I feel for is Henry. To be sacked because the NRL gave in to Hayne and his threat to sue for 1.2million dollars shows what kind of balls the NRL lack.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I would support the idea of a coaches union if it was to fight against the bullshit like not being able to criticize the referees. But in all honestly it makes me wonder about the timing of this really considering that the NRL is supposedly imposing a salary cap for coaching staff at some stage. The NRL probably needs to consult with every coach on rule changes in future since the NRL commission have NFI. But unless the coaches have zero negotiating skills they should be getting good deals out of their clubs.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Will the union swing the other way when highly paid coaches fail to fulfil the job while getting massive money? There has been some coaches who have had the pineapple treatment (Any coach who was sacked at the hands of Farah & Hayne) but generally they get paid great money and get payouts so.............
Coaches probably get our life time pay in 5 years.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
My heart breaks for them. They make 10 times the average wage of any Australian and they're expected to get results as well!?!?!?! Damn... must be tough.

I highly doubt any of the coaches that have been sacked this year are going hungry at the moment. Des for one manages yo suck a fair few million out of the club before he was shown the door.
People would die for an opportunity to do 5 years of hard work for a few millions dollars and be set for life... These peasants expect a lifetime garuantee of sucking a club dry without consequences.

The only coach I feel for is Henry. To be sacked because the NRL gave in to Hayne and his threat to sue for 1.2million dollars shows what kind of balls the NRL lack.
Thank you.. This bloke gets it.

Status
Not open for further replies.