Not open for further replies.

slydog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
no thanks next coach needs to have Bulldogs DNA this cant be bought or taught

TigerGoneLoose

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone but Hasbeen now will do me... well, except Jason Taylor or Mick Potter, apparently they are useless
Potter was good IMO. Was done wrong by the board and CEO at the time, Grant Mayer. Was given absolutely no recruitment power, coaching selection ability or anything else.

Also had a very poor run with injuries, when we had a fit team Brooks was at his peak forming a lethal combination with Ted.

We were top 4 in his last year until injuries hit. I rate him as a coach.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was on stereo tonight, think would be a great coach not hard when compared to SuperCoach .... only going off game insights and comments and was a terrific player

Thoughts?

PS: I know desball is in play for 2 more years but let me dream a little.
Adrian who??

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No matter who the coach is they need to deliver us a quality fullback and/or hooker. The addition of foran alone i don't think gives us a top 4 quality spine. We can go get the best coach in the game but at the end of the day without the right roster we won't improve. Mcgregor didn't magically turn into a good coach within a year, he went out and signed some good forwards. We can easily have the same turn around without panicking and signing some rookie coach or a coach whos already been sacked

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
At least a Queenslander will know how to win!!
There are certain QLDers I'd take, but they MUST BE EX BULLDOGS.

Here is a list of QLDers I'd take even though they have no track record:

• Darren Smith
  • Craig Polla-Mounter
  • Travis Norton
Heck even a QLD cane toad will have more knowledge than Des! Cane toads breed like crazy, so they maybe they can give the Bulldogs some pointers on "how to score."

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bulldogs ex player I would dearly love to see at least as assistant coach would be Micheal Ennis, can you imagine him as the assistant to Des what fun it would be, and the relationship might not last long with Des learning a few home truths, I don't think he would take any shit from Des.
I believe that Micheal has both the personality and knowledge to make a very successful coach.
The club might not be able to sack Des but surrounding him with people who will stand up to him, could fix our problem it can't make things worse anyway.
Someone might start a thread on finding a suitable assistants for Des, I don't know how to.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Lam was helping coach on The NRL Rookie. Seemed knowledgable, but not sure he's decent coach material.

Coached PNG ... 18 matches, 3 wins, 14 losses, 1 draw.

ajay78

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There are certain QLDers I'd take, but they MUST BE EX BULLDOGS.

Here is a list of QLDers I'd take even though they have no track record:

• Darren Smith
  • Craig Polla-Mounter
  • Travis Norton
Heck even a QLD cane toad will have more knowledge than Des! Cane toads breed like crazy, so they maybe they can give the Bulldogs some pointers on "how to score."
* Jason Hetherington
* Steve Price

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
People always argued who would we get to replace Hasler? Anyone!

Flanagan, Robinson and McGuire all had no first grade coaching experience in the NRL when they took over and all have won a premiership since Hasbeen took over and ruined this club.

People just assume because he's re-signed it's impossible to sack him because of the payout. But if we sign a rookie head coach and pay them the minimum then how much extra is the club paying? 300-400k?

As if getting our club back from a tyrant isn't worth that outlay. And that's assuming they'd have to pay out the full contract. Which, if they fire him today I doubt they would have to as you could negotiate the figure down seeing as he'd have two years to find another job while still getting paid. Bottom line, sack Hasler and get anyone else in his place!
Both Robinson and Maguire won championships in the ESL so they had plenty of experience and Flanagan got the job because the Sharks were broke and couldn't afford to pay a coach so it would be wrong to suggest that picking up a coach for $400k would be easy. There wouldn't be an NRL coach on less than $600k. Most of them work to the unwritten rule that they get whatever the highest paid player in the side gets as a minimum.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Both Robinson and Maguire won championships in the ESL so they had plenty of experience and Flanagan got the job because the Sharks were broke and couldn't afford to pay a coach so it would be wrong to suggest that picking up a coach for $400k would be easy. There wouldn't be an NRL coach on less than $600k. Most of them work to the unwritten rule that they get whatever the highest paid player in the side gets as a minimum.
I know that both were in the ESL and had some success there but my point is everyone is unproven and unknown until they've coached NRL. Everyone was doubting the Robinson signing when the roosters got him and he's been great.

You proved my point that Cronulla got Flanagan because they were broke. If we sack Hasler we won't have much to spend but any bargain option would be better than what we have currently.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lam was helping coach on The NRL Rookie. Seemed knowledgable, but not sure he's decent coach material.

Coached PNG ... 18 matches, 3 wins, 14 losses, 1 draw.
Oh yeah! With that record he'd be a great fit at the Bulldogs.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was a real handy player, someone remind me of his coaching exploits? Think he coached the PNG team? My guess is he would teach alot of attack.
And from memory he was a half back, which is what we need to get our halves going the right way.

(Yeah I know, so was Hasler. But lets face it, Hasler is Hasler, and obviously a blood relation of Benton Twisted. So we can shove that line of thinking)

Wasn't Billy Johnstone a "filthy Qlder"? That was the last time we were fit!
Very nice shot that. And its a six!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know we want Des gone, but i hope if we do offload him, that we would go for a coach with at least some experience. If we go for an unknown id rather it be an ex dogs player.
Que Brett Kimmorley!!

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Was on stereo tonight, think would be a great coach not hard when compared to SuperCoach .... only going off game insights and comments and was a terrific player

Thoughts?

PS: I know desball is in play for 2 more years but let me dream a little.
I'll take my Grand Mum for a coach at the moment, better that the idiot who coaching now

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh yeah! With that record he'd be a great fit at the Bulldogs.
The fact it's P'ng and they had 3 wins is an achievement if des had coached them would be a perfect losing record

Status
Not open for further replies.