Call this an even swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Another NRL aligned club the Titans have signed an emerging 23 year old England elite squad player in exchange for a 32 year old nearing the end of his career.

http://www.skynewssport.com.au/rugb...wood-cleared-to-join-gold-coast-titans_200217

Gold Coast are set to welcome English back-rower Joe Greenwood to the NRL club in an exchange with Super League side St Helens for Zeb Taia.

Greenwood, 23, is a member of Wayne Bennett's 31-man elite English training squad ahead of this year's World Cup, and has made 77 appearances for Saints since debuting in 2012.

'We wouldn't want to stand in the way of any player wishing to ply their trade elsewhere and Joe has been given a good opportunity at the Gold Coast,' St Helens coach Keiron Cunningham said.

'It's always difficult to lose a homegrown player and personally I will be sad to see him leave. I've worked hard with Joe to develop his game and help him grow as a person and he has done just that.'

It's understood the Titans have lodged paperwork with the NRL for Greenwood's immediate signing, with an announcement expected in the coming days.

In return, they have released Taia, 32, on a contract that runs to the end of the 2019 season.

Taia played for Parramatta and Newcastle before moving to Super League in 2013 with the Catalans, for whom he scored 35 tries in 75 appearances.

Taia, who captained the Cook Islands in the 2013 World Cup after switching his allegiance from New Zealand, was named in the 2015 Super League Dream before opting to return to NRL with the Titans.

'We're delighted to have signed a player of Zeb's calibre and he will bolster our squad immediately,' Cunningham said.

'He is powerful, possesses a great offload and like our other signings this season, will bring big-game experience to the Saints.'

Taia had been off-contract at the Titans at the end of 2017.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Zeb Taia is shite.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I give ya a nickel for a pickle

stclair

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Why has the pom only averaged about 12 games a season?... Injury, other, combo of both?...

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Zeb Taia is shite.
Then the NRL run Gold Coast are on the right side of the ledger. ;);)

Why has the pom only averaged about 12 games a season?... Injury, other, combo of both?...
Debuted late 2012 and most of 2015 spent on sideline with broken leg.

http://www.saintsrlfc.com/team

DOB: 02/04/1993
Height: 190
Weight: 105

Year Career
Year
Career
Appearances 1 45
Substitutions 0 32
Tries 0 26
Goals 0 0
Drop Goals 0 0
Points 0 104

JOE is a big second rower who is continuing to get better and better.

He was easily one of the best second rowers in the comp in 2015 until a broken leg curtailed his campaign, but in 2016 he got back to that form.

Joe signed from Saddleworth Rangers, trained with the first team squad in 2011 and was ‘18th' man on a number of occasions before he finally made his debut against Oldham in the Cup in 2012.

He has scored 26 tries in 76 appearances.

Joe is sponsored by:

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On paper it looks like Titans got the deal of the century.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It does to me too (they get to offload Taia), but I guess both sides would have weighed u their needs for a particular player, salary caps etc.

From my reading of the article (admittedly i'm quite tired), it would seem its a swap immediately? Isn't the Super League Season already underway?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taia actually goes alright, and from memory he was extremely good last time around in the ESL when playing for Catalans Dragons.

At the end of the day it could work out really well for St Helens. Greenwood will learn a thing or two in the NRL and will then eventually return back a better player.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greenwood was signed for the Titans for 2018 anyway. So they only way they could get him early is if they offered a player in exchange for this season. Works out well for everyone as Taia isn't contracted past 2017.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Zeb was bloody good last year

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
If you are running off the thought that the NRL aren't corrupt than perhaps you would be bemused, you would also be naive? They would've already picked this years GF winner by now.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Zeb Taia has never been shit. He's just a no fuss get the job done type of player. Not all players have to be superstars

Status
Not open for further replies.