OFFICIAL | GAME DAY Post Game Round 5 | Bulldogs 30 - 26 Roosters

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree. My Atkins comment was more about the game in general.. some of his games are frustrating to watch when he doesn't put the whistle away.
It can be hard to put the whistle away when players push the envelope to the nth degree. Mind you the whistle can often be in the pocket when it comes to late in the game or in Golden Point when the game is up for grabs.

I‘m expecting a game at some stage where a team is obviously setting up for a field goal to win the game and they can’t use blockers to protect the kicker.

The side defending almost invariably will have at least one of their markers not square to attempt a charge down. Will they be penalised? I suspect not.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had the game wrapped up in the first half. The damage was done. What we displayed was absolutely clinical and the second best I’ve seen from our club in recent times only the win over Eels in 2022 was better. That’s my favourite loved the tries we scored especially that second to Averillo.

Another good thing is due to all the incidents and the way the game panned out is that Robinson and Politis once again avoid questioning and they don’t see the issues at their club. They have the best roster in the game Whyte is the no.5 prop at their club. They blamed the bunker for the loss against a spare parts Penrith side. They blamed the send off and sin bin for last night. The Roosters got ambushed. This was the 2022 game all over again with the Gould subplots the pregame headlines. Roosters will continue to be in denial and may they continue to be this way.

The key for us is to backup the first half with a win over Melbourne next week. They leaked a lot of points and are beatable. Their forwards have declined since losing the 3 to Dolphins.

Ask any Canterbury fan before the game - win the game by 4 points, score 5 tries and 3 of those tries to Burton you take it every day of the week. Magic may have played himself into the NSW 5/8 position.

Our attack was shocking last week we won 18-0 when it was 13v13. We scored points with ease. We did lose a few wet weather basics after half time. The unfortunate Edwards injury was actually a turning point as it ended all the momentum. So when a team is building momentum we need to just get to a set and kick it deep early. We do have the longest kicking game in the NRL. And maybe just lay down with a fake cramp just to kill the game down. A lesson learned that Gould and Ciraldo can take to the table when they meet at Jobels during the week.

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just a couple of questions.

1) Would Sutton have sent Young off?
2) Would he have sin binned Radley?

I have thought for quite a while that Atkins is a bettter referee than most of the others, with maybe only Adam Gee being better.
1 yes
2 no

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a couple of questions.

1) Would Sutton have sent Young off?
2) Would he have sin binned Radley?

I have thought for quite a while that Atkins is a bettter referee than most of the others, with maybe only Adam Gee being better.
I think these days, the on-field ref has an idea in his mind, but when the message from the bunker is "forceful contact to the head" and "arm extended" etc or "body off ground" and "lands on legs", the on field ref just follows nrl protocols and send them off/bin.

And that's how it should be.

If the protocols are wrong, thats a different story.

Im going to he controversial here and say that i agree with Robbo on the Radley hip drop. It wasnt. From what i recall, it wasnt anything like the traditional hip drop, where a defender "hangs off" the attacker and lets his body land on the legs of the attacker.

It was in the wet, he was in a joint tackle, and as a result, his collision with his own teamate resulted in him coming off the ground. I dont even recall seeing him land on the legs of the dogs player that badly. There are numerous times when a player punches through the lineand the defender lands on the attacker legs when tackling sideways or behind.

Perfect example is cover tackles (like Dearden) who are lauded for great tackles but have the same risk of injury in my book.

There are hip drops (usually 1 on 1) that are bad and there are accidental drops to the players legs. I know the NRL wants black and white interpretations but this is chalk and cheese

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think these days, the on-field ref has an idea in his mind, but when the message from the bunker is "forceful contact to the head" and "arm extended" etc or "body off ground" and "lands on legs", the on field ref just follows nrl protocols and send them off/bin.

And that's how it should be.

If the protocols are wrong, thats a different story.

Im going to he controversial here and say that i agree with Robbo on the Radley hip drop. It wasnt. From what i recall, it wasnt anything like the traditional hip drop, where a defender "hangs off" the attacker and lets his body land on the legs of the attacker.

It was in the wet, he was in a joint tackle, and as a result, his collision with his own teamate resulted in him coming off the ground. I dont even recall seeing him land on the legs of the dogs player that badly. There are numerous times when a player punches through the lineand the defender lands on the attacker legs when tackling sideways or behind.

Perfect example is cover tackles (like Dearden) who are lauded for great tackles but have the same risk of injury in my book.

There are hip drops (usually 1 on 1) that are bad and there are accidental drops to the players legs. I know the NRL wants black and white interpretations but this is chalk and cheese
Who cares if it’s the wrong call?
We get dud calls most games it was great for the dogs finally a call went Our way. How many times have we seen a hip drop on our players and nothing they have to play the ball. Pretty certain there has been 3 or 4 already this season

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people are reading into the whole 13 v 12 saga a bit too much. I believe if Young doesn’t get sent off we win 40-4 or something similar. With the 6 agains momentum in a game can be a killer, and if you have it, no matter how many players are on the field, you can take advantage. It also galvanises and rallies a team. That’s what happened last night. The pressure was off the roosters and they played ad lib footy that came off.

All the negative nancies find me a game where it was 13 v 12 that ended in a blowout? Hell the other year sharks had Kennedy sent off early and still beat the Warriors.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people are reading into the whole 13 v 12 saga a bit too much. I believe if Young doesn’t get sent off we win 40-4 or something similar. With the 6 agains momentum in a game can be a killer, and if you have it, no matter how many players are on the field, you can take advantage. It also galvanises and rallies a team. That’s what happened last night. The pressure was off the roosters and they played ad lib footy that came off.

All the negative nancies find me a game where it was 13 v 12 that ended in a blowout? Hell the other year sharks had Kennedy sent off early and still beat the Warriors.
I agree with you about winning by more if Young stays on the field. He was so off his game we were cashing in. All his send off does is avoid scrutiny on Politis and Robinson and the Roosters can continue to be in denial. They should be going better than Penrith they will be week 1 of the finals at best. For the roster they have and the salary cap advantages they have it’s unacceptable. Robinson is an average coach. The game is passing Politis by.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Atkins at all.. every game I watch of his, not saying he's bias but he can be very six again happy, and it does contribute to momentum shifts.. I also notice he blows a lot of penalties during the softening up period which is frustrating. I prefer refs like Todd Smith who give a little bit of leniency and it's the team's who decide every result.
You make a good point re Atkins. IMO these “6 again happy refs”, are a function of them being unable to physically and mentally keep pace with pace of game events. They’re just a step behind. So the “6 again” is now a convenient way to keep game flowing (the official view) and shift momentum…….to compensate for some of the ref’s inability to cope. Somewhat masks their deficiencies. They will never admit this, but that’s my personal observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You make a good point re Atkins. IMO these “6 again happy refs”, are a function of them being unable to physically and mentally keep pace with pace of game events. They’re just a step behind. So the “6 again” is now a convenient way to keep game flowing (the official view) and shift momentum…….to compensate for some of the ref’s inability to cope. Somewhat masks their deficiencies. They will never admit this, but that’s my personal observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm actually surprised they haven't brought the second ref back because it does get a bit chaotic and it'd hard to imagine one guy with minimal input from the sideline is seeing everything in real time.. I mean for one he can only look in one direction at a time.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
After learning the boys we’re injured and some pretty bad I’m not to angry about the second half.
Mann playing with a broken hand, king with a potential fractured wrist. Tracey torn calf kikaus leg. Very lucky victors hip drop didn’t do damage to critta.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
First NRL game in more than a year... Crazy to start the kid but good to get it out of the way. Hardly a gauge...
Just my take, but I think Ciro was experimenting with Patolo to see if he was strong enough to take the early hits and absorb the damage and early speed from the opposition line. Bringing on a fresh Curran after 14/15mins has worked well IMO.

Last edited:

chemdog

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
honestly hope kiks is fine.
apart from mann and King the other injured players are easily replaceable