News Cameron Ciraldo Q&A How New Recruits Will Feature In His Quest To Make The Bulldogs A Powerhouse Again

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Via Telegraph Sport
By David Riccio

Is there a coach with more questions to answer than Cameron Ciraldo? DAVID RICCIO sits down with the Bulldogs mentor to see what his plans are to make the club competitive again.

With 10 new players coming into his squad, including superstar Stephen Crichton, is there a coach with more questions to answer than Cameron Ciraldo? The Canterbury coach sits down with DAVID RICCIO to outline his plan for turning the battling Bulldogs around.

ᴅᴀᴠɪᴅ ʀɪᴄᴄɪᴏ: Cameron, you’re approaching your second season as an NRL coach. No doubt a lot was learned in that first season. Are you seeing things differently going into year two at the Bulldogs?

ᴄᴀᴍᴇʀᴏɴ ᴄɪʀᴀʟᴅᴏ: The foundation of the pre-season hasn’t changed; you want to get fitter, faster, stronger and build that foundation. But I think the staff is a lot more cohesive than what it was 12 months ago, having spent a year working together and now understanding the systems and processes we’ve put in place. Also, the new recruits have definitely helped with the intensity and quality of training and that’s something that has pleased me.

DR: When you reviewed the 2023 season, of all the things you wanted to improve, is there one key area which you want to rectify?

CC: Clearly defence. That’s something I’m passionate about and that was something I was really upset about last season. The way our defence panned out, the amount of points (conceding an average 38 per game) we let in is obviously a key focus for us moving forward this year. It’s definitely driving our pre-season, but it also had a major impact in who we recruited.

DR: How confident are you the 10 new players can learn the Dogs’ defensive structure, given the previous roster struggled to meet the standards you want to set?

CC: The actual system is just one part of it. Then above that is the physical side of it and honouring the laws of the game, which is to make sure you’re not having to do too much defence. But at the top of the tree is having 13 players on that field that are totally committed to that system and a squad that is committed to get better defensively everyday. That’s paramount and more important than the actual system. The good thing is, I’m seeing that commitment so far.

DR: What do you need to see to settle on who plays in your halves?

CC: I’d like to think we will make a call before [the trials]. But it will be about the balance of the team and what is best for the team to start the year. Communication was a real work in-progress at the back end of last season. Toby Sexton, when he came in (from round 19), he added a real footy IQ to us and Drew Hutchison is an experienced player as well, who is a really good communicator. Those guys in particular can add that to our squad, but in the end we’ll make a decision on what is best for the team and what gives us good balance across the park.

DR: Matt Burton then, where does he play? I wrote a column last November suggesting that with just how damaging he is at centre, the Dogs should move him out of the halves. What do you think about that?

CC: ‘Burto’ did a lot of great things last season. The games we won, he had a huge impact in. He had some really good moments throughout the year. Now what we’re working with Burto on is his consistency and his level of communication with the team, which he’s really developing right now. Burto is in charge of his own destiny, if he works really hard we’ve spoken about with him, the sky’s the limit for him.

DR: Reed Mahoney has hardly been spoken about. For me, the Dogs’ success in 2024 is heavily linked to Reed taking another big step up. What are you wanting from Reed this season?

CC: I think the first five or six rounds last season, Reed Mahoney was one of the form players of the competition and he showed what a valuable asset to our team. He’s one of our captains and he is really invested in seeing this team succeed. But I will say, I think he would’ve learned a lot last season in terms of leadership and the way he handled disappointment and setbacks. I’ve been really impressed with the way he’s come back, he brings such good energy to our team. We know all the good things he brings to our group and I’m sure he’s learned a number of lessons from last season and he’ll come back a bigger and better player in 2024.

DR: To Reed’s credit, he had a tough initiation to the club given how thin your depth in leadership was in 2023. Does Stephen Crichton immediately join that leadership group in 2024?

CC: We’re having a lot of discussion right now about our leadership model and we’re not going to rush into that. I think leaders emerge through pre-seasons and so I’m interested to see who steps up. With the 10 new recruits, a lot of them have come here to evolve their game into becoming more of a leader, so I’m really excited about what we’re going to uncover through our hard work this pre-season.

DR: Staying on Crichton, what do you think he will do for the squad?

CC: ‘Critta’ is a winner and he’s a total professional. Everything he does is about preparing himself to win on game day and to get his job done. He’s a guy that doesn’t really have days off. Even on the team’s day off he’s either in the gym doing recovery or video and I’d say he’s one of the most internally motivated players I’ve been involved with. If some of our younger players are watching Stephen Crichton prepare, train and recover, like I know the way he does, then he’s going to have a really positive impact on our culture and our club in general.

DR: So, does Crichton play fullback or centre?

CC: He can play anywhere. But a bit like Burto, it will be based on what is best for the team and making sure we’ve got enough balance throughout the team. He’s one of the world’s best centres so he’ll train there, but I know he can play fullback as well, and that’s definitely an option.

DR: One area that concerns me about the Dogs’ roster is the forward pack. You’ve got a bunch of hard workers, but no real enforcer. I suppose the question is, are the guys in the current pack aware of the challenge?

CC: Yeah, we’ve addressed that. We might not have the big names of other clubs, but if we can have the hardest working and tightest forward pack in the comp, there’s no reason we can’t give our backline a chance to showcase their talents. It’s something we’re speaking about constantly, about working together as a pack. There’s some guys in our pack that have a real opportunity to make a name for themselves and that’s exciting.

DR: Bronson Xerri is on the comeback trail after four years out of the game. Does his return to rugby league begin in the NSW Cup, simply to find his feet again?

CC: My initial thought was definitely that, that he’s going to take a while to get going. But I’ve got to say, he’s surprised me with how quickly he’s picked everything up. I’m not going to write him off on anything really. The way he’s turned up, the way he’s applied himself to his training and wanting to get better every day, he’s definitely capable of pushing for selection early in the season.

DR: I do like the signing of former Warrior Josh Curran. Will he wear the Canterbury No.13 jersey in 2024?

CC: Nothing is locked in at the moment, but when we first met Josh he definitely made it clear that his favourite position was that lock role. We are very aware of what he can offer our team in that role. He’s slotted in there in the pre-season with Kurt Mann an option there as well. They’ve both shown what they can do with the ball in hand, but also their intent in defence. Josh is pretty versatile too, he did a good job for the Warriors in the back row, so we’ve got options there.

DR: A year in as an NRL coach and it hasn’t been short of challenges. Do you still love the job? Do you have any regrets about becoming a head coach?

CC: No, no regrets. I’ve loved the challenge. I love what this club is about, what it has been built on and I love the area we represent. I’m so motivated to get this club back to where it’s meant to be. I’m happy with the squad we’ve put together and I’m excited with what I’m seeing at training.

DR: Canterbury fans are passionate and loyal and they also don’t mind venting their feelings. Do you feel their presence and demand for success?

CC: As a kid, one of my earliest football memories was driving through Belmore at finals time with the huge flags flying across Burwood Road. I love the buzz that this club creates for the community. I definitely feel their passion, it’s something that really motivates us to win. There’s a process to get there, but I’d love nothing more to be in the final series with the Dogs.

DR: Last one. Outstanding rookie Jacob Preston came from nowhere last year to claim the club’s best player award. Have you got another smokey in your back pocket that might pop up for the Dogs in 2024?

CC: I’d love to give you a name or two, but it’s hard because our Jersey Flegg side won the competition last season and I was so impressed with the way they played in the finals series. They played a real Bulldogs style of game, all determination and grit. I’m excited by a number of players that are coming through that Flegg team. Jacob was a guy that just took every opportunity last season and forced us to pick him in round one. He played all year through the pain barrier and was a deserved player of the year. Some of those Flegg guys have that opportunity right now.

DR: Thanks and good luck.

CC: Thanks Dave.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
One thing I hope Cameron has did well was recruit those new boys to lift the bar of the team performances. We didn’t have Thompson or kikau yet we were in games until we fatigued and dropped our heads after a try being conceded.

The vibe I saw on saturday was definitely better than last year. I could see the team fighting for their positions rather than being handed the spot. Hence why I won’t be surprised if Taafe is #1 and drew is #7. Jake Turpin could be a sneaky backup on the bench for reed but I’m tipping 3 forwards and one utility in Kurt Mann.

Kurt Mann was putting his body on the line each and every set in attack and defence. So expect a lot of these boys to surprise us all if they can work together as a unit.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I kind of got the idea there that there were big possibilities of Burton and Chrichton playing in different positions.

On a slight side note, I'm frightened for Ciraldo if we do much of the same as last year.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well answered, does fill me with some confidence that players are finding their feet and the new recruits are setting an example for the rest.

How long has it been to have players fighting for spots, that alone is a huge difference.

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good read… CC is succinct in his delivery, makes it easy to ingest, we need to stick by him over the 5 year plan with a view he becomes a Bellamy type who stays with us long term living and breathing the Club.

We’re not likely making the top 8 with this current roster so it’s important we “trust the process” where eventually our pathways yields talented players merging in with proven NRL elite level recruits like Critta, Fox, Reed and Burto.

No doubt we will have some imbeciles losing their sh!t because we’re potentially not in the finals but the goal here is improvement across all facets of last season, in particular, defence, consistent execution of our attack, attitude, commitment and belief.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Via Telegraph Sport
By David Riccio

Is there a coach with more questions to answer than Cameron Ciraldo? DAVID RICCIO sits down with the Bulldogs mentor to see what his plans are to make the club competitive again.

With 10 new players coming into his squad, including superstar Stephen Crichton, is there a coach with more questions to answer than Cameron Ciraldo? The Canterbury coach sits down with DAVID RICCIO to outline his plan for turning the battling Bulldogs around.

ᴅᴀᴠɪᴅ ʀɪᴄᴄɪᴏ: Cameron, you’re approaching your second season as an NRL coach. No doubt a lot was learned in that first season. Are you seeing things differently going into year two at the Bulldogs?

ᴄᴀᴍᴇʀᴏɴ ᴄɪʀᴀʟᴅᴏ: The foundation of the pre-season hasn’t changed; you want to get fitter, faster, stronger and build that foundation. But I think the staff is a lot more cohesive than what it was 12 months ago, having spent a year working together and now understanding the systems and processes we’ve put in place. Also, the new recruits have definitely helped with the intensity and quality of training and that’s something that has pleased me.

DR: When you reviewed the 2023 season, of all the things you wanted to improve, is there one key area which you want to rectify?

CC: Clearly defence. That’s something I’m passionate about and that was something I was really upset about last season. The way our defence panned out, the amount of points (conceding an average 38 per game) we let in is obviously a key focus for us moving forward this year. It’s definitely driving our pre-season, but it also had a major impact in who we recruited.

DR: How confident are you the 10 new players can learn the Dogs’ defensive structure, given the previous roster struggled to meet the standards you want to set?

CC: The actual system is just one part of it. Then above that is the physical side of it and honouring the laws of the game, which is to make sure you’re not having to do too much defence. But at the top of the tree is having 13 players on that field that are totally committed to that system and a squad that is committed to get better defensively everyday. That’s paramount and more important than the actual system. The good thing is, I’m seeing that commitment so far.

DR: What do you need to see to settle on who plays in your halves?

CC: I’d like to think we will make a call before [the trials]. But it will be about the balance of the team and what is best for the team to start the year. Communication was a real work in-progress at the back end of last season. Toby Sexton, when he came in (from round 19), he added a real footy IQ to us and Drew Hutchison is an experienced player as well, who is a really good communicator. Those guys in particular can add that to our squad, but in the end we’ll make a decision on what is best for the team and what gives us good balance across the park.

DR: Matt Burton then, where does he play? I wrote a column last November suggesting that with just how damaging he is at centre, the Dogs should move him out of the halves. What do you think about that?

CC: ‘Burto’ did a lot of great things last season. The games we won, he had a huge impact in. He had some really good moments throughout the year. Now what we’re working with Burto on is his consistency and his level of communication with the team, which he’s really developing right now. Burto is in charge of his own destiny, if he works really hard we’ve spoken about with him, the sky’s the limit for him.

DR: Reed Mahoney has hardly been spoken about. For me, the Dogs’ success in 2024 is heavily linked to Reed taking another big step up. What are you wanting from Reed this season?

CC: I think the first five or six rounds last season, Reed Mahoney was one of the form players of the competition and he showed what a valuable asset to our team. He’s one of our captains and he is really invested in seeing this team succeed. But I will say, I think he would’ve learned a lot last season in terms of leadership and the way he handled disappointment and setbacks. I’ve been really impressed with the way he’s come back, he brings such good energy to our team. We know all the good things he brings to our group and I’m sure he’s learned a number of lessons from last season and he’ll come back a bigger and better player in 2024.

DR: To Reed’s credit, he had a tough initiation to the club given how thin your depth in leadership was in 2023. Does Stephen Crichton immediately join that leadership group in 2024?

CC: We’re having a lot of discussion right now about our leadership model and we’re not going to rush into that. I think leaders emerge through pre-seasons and so I’m interested to see who steps up. With the 10 new recruits, a lot of them have come here to evolve their game into becoming more of a leader, so I’m really excited about what we’re going to uncover through our hard work this pre-season.

DR: Staying on Crichton, what do you think he will do for the squad?

CC: ‘Critta’ is a winner and he’s a total professional. Everything he does is about preparing himself to win on game day and to get his job done. He’s a guy that doesn’t really have days off. Even on the team’s day off he’s either in the gym doing recovery or video and I’d say he’s one of the most internally motivated players I’ve been involved with. If some of our younger players are watching Stephen Crichton prepare, train and recover, like I know the way he does, then he’s going to have a really positive impact on our culture and our club in general.

DR: So, does Crichton play fullback or centre?

CC: He can play anywhere. But a bit like Burto, it will be based on what is best for the team and making sure we’ve got enough balance throughout the team. He’s one of the world’s best centres so he’ll train there, but I know he can play fullback as well, and that’s definitely an option.

DR: One area that concerns me about the Dogs’ roster is the forward pack. You’ve got a bunch of hard workers, but no real enforcer. I suppose the question is, are the guys in the current pack aware of the challenge?

CC: Yeah, we’ve addressed that. We might not have the big names of other clubs, but if we can have the hardest working and tightest forward pack in the comp, there’s no reason we can’t give our backline a chance to showcase their talents. It’s something we’re speaking about constantly, about working together as a pack. There’s some guys in our pack that have a real opportunity to make a name for themselves and that’s exciting.

DR: Bronson Xerri is on the comeback trail after four years out of the game. Does his return to rugby league begin in the NSW Cup, simply to find his feet again?

CC: My initial thought was definitely that, that he’s going to take a while to get going. But I’ve got to say, he’s surprised me with how quickly he’s picked everything up. I’m not going to write him off on anything really. The way he’s turned up, the way he’s applied himself to his training and wanting to get better every day, he’s definitely capable of pushing for selection early in the season.

DR: I do like the signing of former Warrior Josh Curran. Will he wear the Canterbury No.13 jersey in 2024?

CC: Nothing is locked in at the moment, but when we first met Josh he definitely made it clear that his favourite position was that lock role. We are very aware of what he can offer our team in that role. He’s slotted in there in the pre-season with Kurt Mann an option there as well. They’ve both shown what they can do with the ball in hand, but also their intent in defence. Josh is pretty versatile too, he did a good job for the Warriors in the back row, so we’ve got options there.

DR: A year in as an NRL coach and it hasn’t been short of challenges. Do you still love the job? Do you have any regrets about becoming a head coach?

CC: No, no regrets. I’ve loved the challenge. I love what this club is about, what it has been built on and I love the area we represent. I’m so motivated to get this club back to where it’s meant to be. I’m happy with the squad we’ve put together and I’m excited with what I’m seeing at training.

DR: Canterbury fans are passionate and loyal and they also don’t mind venting their feelings. Do you feel their presence and demand for success?

CC: As a kid, one of my earliest football memories was driving through Belmore at finals time with the huge flags flying across Burwood Road. I love the buzz that this club creates for the community. I definitely feel their passion, it’s something that really motivates us to win. There’s a process to get there, but I’d love nothing more to be in the final series with the Dogs.

DR: Last one. Outstanding rookie Jacob Preston came from nowhere last year to claim the club’s best player award. Have you got another smokey in your back pocket that might pop up for the Dogs in 2024?

CC: I’d love to give you a name or two, but it’s hard because our Jersey Flegg side won the competition last season and I was so impressed with the way they played in the finals series. They played a real Bulldogs style of game, all determination and grit. I’m excited by a number of players that are coming through that Flegg team. Jacob was a guy that just took every opportunity last season and forced us to pick him in round one. He played all year through the pain barrier and was a deserved player of the year. Some of those Flegg guys have that opportunity right now.

DR: Thanks and good luck.

CC: Thanks Dave.
Thanks DR for showing true journalism for a change, and please don't allow DrunkenField to ruin it !!!
Importantly, it looks like these are the leading positional selections
1 Taaffe
3 Crichton
6 Burton
7 Sexton
9 Mahoney
13 Curran
Don't you love of how proud he is of the Bulldogs way and their supporters and the area in general ?
Something Destroyer never showed in all his years at Belmore, it was always about himself.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hahaha warra Burton in the halves

Crashdog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I kind of got the idea there that there were big possibilities of Burton and Chrichton playing in different positions.

On a slight side note, I'm frightened for Ciraldo if we do much of the same as last year.
Yes, I am a big supporter of Gus but I do think CC would be well advised to ensure he has KPIs that acknowledge that he has been given a FR which, while of first grade standard, is not up to Finals standard. There should be an expectation of improvement but not an expectation of reaching the Finals. Of course, if between now and the start of the competition, Gus finds a Finals standard FR then the onus is on CC to produce.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
One thing I hope Cameron has did well was recruit those new boys to lift the bar of the team performances. We didn’t have Thompson or kikau yet we were in games until we fatigued and dropped our heads after a try being conceded.

The vibe I saw on saturday was definitely better than last year. I could see the team fighting for their positions rather than being handed the spot. Hence why I won’t be surprised if Taafe is #1 and drew is #7. Jake Turpin could be a sneaky backup on the bench for reed but I’m tipping 3 forwards and one utility in Kurt Mann.

Kurt Mann was putting his body on the line each and every set in attack and defence. So expect a lot of these boys to surprise us all if they can work together as a unit.
Sounds good. Turpin is a great defender, but as most have said I'd rather Mann 14 to give Reed a rest if needed.
As much as I don't rate Turpin in attack, having him set the line speed and push the defensive standards for the young fellas in NSW cup will be worth it moving forward

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He was reluctant to nominate a standout from the top 30 to have a break out season this year. Perhaps to keep them on their toes?
His comments about the flegg boys having an opportunity after their finals success was interesting. Would be pretty unlikely to see a flegg player getting much NRL time but from those comments it might be possible.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think CC has said all the right things, I cannot fault him for anything he has said.

Critta position, primarily centre but acknowledge he could do a job at FB.
Defense... what more could he say was very disappointed and it was more about attitude/professionalism than anything else.
He didn't sugar coat the Front Row issue, and made it clear it is a real opportunity for someone to make a name for himself.
Halves: Looks like it is a 3-way battle between Burton, Sexton and Hutchinson. Made it clear he believes in Burto but for him to be playing in the halves he needs to believe in himself and show it. The two biggest concerns I had with Burto was his lack of consistency and not taking control/communicating... seems that has been worked on so we shall see.
Captains: While he said Reed was one of the captains, he also said we have been having alot of discussions around the leadership model... so I am guessing that stuff is certainly not set in stone
Xerri: acknowledged that at the start of the season it will be hard to expect much from Xerri being out of the game for so long... But he has shown with his commitment that if anyone could do it Xerri could... But he did say early season not Rd 1.
Fans/Community: He may not have played for the Dogs but the way he talks you'd wonder if that is a regret of his. He generally wants to be there when the Dogs are successful again. It means something to him, not just a paycheck and a chance to be successful.

I must admit though, on the last question I was hoping he would mention Sam Hughes. But maybe he sees him as a little different to Preston as he has made his debut already.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think CC has said all the right things, I cannot fault him for anything he has said.

Critta position, primarily centre but acknowledge he could do a job at FB.
Defense... what more could he say was very disappointed and it was more about attitude/professionalism than anything else.
He didn't sugar coat the Front Row issue, and made it clear it is a real opportunity for someone to make a name for himself.
Halves: Looks like it is a 3-way battle between Burton, Sexton and Hutchinson. Made it clear he believes in Burto but for him to be playing in the halves he needs to believe in himself and show it. The two biggest concerns I had with Burto was his lack of consistency and not taking control/communicating... seems that has been worked on so we shall see.
Captains: While he said Reed was one of the captains, he also said we have been having alot of discussions around the leadership model... so I am guessing that stuff is certainly not set in stone
Xerri: acknowledged that at the start of the season it will be hard to expect much from Xerri being out of the game for so long... But he has shown with his commitment that if anyone could do it Xerri could... But he did say early season not Rd 1.
Fans/Community: He may not have played for the Dogs but the way he talks you'd wonder if that is a regret of his. He generally wants to be there when the Dogs are successful again. It means something to him, not just a paycheck and a chance to be successful.

I must admit though, on the last question I was hoping he would mention Sam Hughes. But maybe he sees him as a little different to Preston as he has made his debut already.
Why single someone out and put pressure on them.

Let them do the talking on the field.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of the boys did way too much talking last year & got egg on their faces come game day…. CC answered all questions with a straight bat, but didn’t sugar coat the biggest issue at the club was Defence & Depth.

These are his boys now… not Dessy’s, not Pay’s, Not Barrett’s!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of the boys did way too much talking last year & got egg on their faces come game day…. CC answered all questions with a straight bat, but didn’t sugar coat the biggest issue at the club was Defence & Depth.

These are his boys now… not Dessy’s, not Pay’s, Not Barrett’s!
and player leadership