News What exactly are Phil Gould and his Bulldogs up to?

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another article from another writer that by the end of the 2024 season
We Can Stick It Fair Up There @R$E

Please keep the motivational articles coming you journalistic clowns.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
This guy has nailed it. Gus has no idea.

There were so many gun players off contract for 2024 and all we could manage as our highest profile signing was a 3 time premiership winner who has scored a try in 4 straight grand finals.

We missed out on so many other elite players like , um, um, hmmmmmm.

Fark me dead. You can only polish a turd so much
That's not what he said at all. He is pointing out the style of development that Gus favours, and he is not holding back on the fact that it will take time to come through - but fans want instant results. Must have been reading the Kennel.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's not what he said at all. He is pointing out the style of development that Gus favours, and he is not holding back on the fact that it will take time to come through - but fans want instant results. Must have been reading the Kennel.
He literally says in the article that the bulldogs lack firepower in the middle.

I was just pointing out that there were not many options to sign as middles for 2024

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Darren Arthur, ESPN NRL EditorDec 1, 2023, 10:00

Bulldogs General Manager of Football Phil Gould has long been an advocate for rebuilding a rugby league club from the ground up. He is firmly of the belief that lasting success must be based on home grown talent, young players who are identified in the local parks and eventually develop into nrl stars.

The logic is sound, you not only make the best use of your junior system, but you also develop stronger community ties with the club. The fans know these players, are related to these players, and they watch them rise through the ranks giving them a unique and unwavering level of support.

Gould went about rebuilding the Panthers by restructuring the club's junior system. Penrith's junior nursery is the biggest in rugby league and had been mismanaged and underutilised. After he left the club it rose to the current heights of success, with first grade teams made up almost entirely of local juniors. Some may argue about the degree of credit Gould should ultimately take for Penrith's premiership triumphs, but few would disagree that his tumultuous eight years at the club played a large part in their rise from NRL also-rans.

Canterbury Bulldogs General Manager of Football Phil Gould. Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

After a couple of short, not so successful, stints with St George Illawarra and New Zealand Warriors, Gould found a new challenge at the Bulldogs, signing on as the General Manager of Football in 2021. The Bulldogs, like Penrith, were a club close to his heart, having played in and coached premiership-winning Bulldogs teams.

He set about strengthening the junior pathways. He hired head coach Cameron Ciraldo from the Panthers and together they began a painful rebuilding process. The problem faced by Gould and Ciraldo is that after years of abject failure, Bulldogs fans don't have the patience to wait for the junior system to bear fruit. They want improvement now. Gould explained the enormity of the job on 100% Footy, as the 2023 season drew to a miserable close for the Bulldogs.

"I'd say it's probably the most difficult task I could imagine," Gould said.

"Having said that, it's a great club, it's a great club, we know it well - there's a huge groundswell of support out there if we can get it right, and I know we will in time. Putting a timeframe on that is impossible at the moment."

Connor Tracey of the Sharks makes a break against the Knights Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Getting it right has been the big challenge. The Bulldogs over the past year have made a flurry of signings. Apart from superstar Stephen Crichton, and perhaps Warriors forward Josh Curran, the players acquired would hardly be on top of any other club's list of targets. Kurt Mann, Drew Hutchison, Jaeman Salmon, Jake Turpin, Blake Taafe and Connor Tracey are all fringe first graders, experienced and hardened, but you wouldn't call them match winners.

"It's really hard at the moment, because I've never seen the player market and the ability to buy players and attract players as difficult as what it is at the moment," Gould continued.

"There's not many marquee players coming off-contract and at the moment, supply just doesn't equal demand.

"For us, it's a long-term approach where we're going to develop our own and we've started at the very lowest base and we are out there actively recruiting teenagers.

"In the meantime, what we want is living and breathing examples of people that have been at successful clubs and successful environments. The top sides are gonna have to shed players... it's been handy for us to pick them up."

Kurt Mann in action for the Newcastle Knights Ashley Feder/Getty Images

The result for the Bulldogs is a roster that looks like a dropped pizza. Ingredients everywhere, none of it making much sense and far from palatable for the fans. Take the mixed bag of players competing for backline positions below.

Potential fullbacks: Stephen Crichton, Blake Taafe, Connor Tracey, Hayze Perham, Blake Wilson and Josh Addo-Carr (remembering, he was signed to play fullback).

Wingers: Jacob Kiraz, Blake Wilson, Josh Addo-Carr, Jeral Skelton, Hayze Perham.

Centres: Bronson Xerri, Matt Burton, Connor Tracey, Drew Hutchison, Hayze Perham, Jordan Samrani, Jeral Skelton.

Five-eighths: Matt Burton, Drew Hutchison, Blake Taafe, Kurt Mann, Karl Oloapu.

Halfbacks: Toby Sexton, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Karl Oloapu, Drew Hutchison, Bailey Hayward (Development list).

Of course it pays to have depth, but you could assemble at least 10 legitimate backlines from that list and not one of them would frighten an opposition coach.

Aside from the backline confusion,there remains the very real issue that the Bulldogs lack any real firepower in the engine room. And we all know that rugby league games are won through forward dominance. The only hope for the Bulldogs is that this new crop of players will show more pride in their performances, and will at least put their bodies on the line for the cause.

Otherwise, it all points to another long and painful year for Bulldogs fans. Anyone expecting 2024 to be the year when Ciraldo's magic started to make a mark at Belmore, might be in for more disappointment. It will be a true test of his coaching skills to bring cohesion to this roster and produce a competitive side.

Bulldogs fans are all but out of patience, and if they see another aimless rabble meekly succumbing to humiliating defeats each week, the pitch forks will be sharpened, the torches lit, and Ciraldo and Gould will both be in the firing line.
Why don't you ask him dweeble and let everyone know
I thought I was the only one that missed the answer...Tell us the answer SON...Tell us the answer :anguished:
Another reporter sourcing info from TK...The Clowns should be delighted :laughing:
Jokes aside, he does have some reasonable points BUT
It makes me wonder, in his final paragraph was he hoping or warning that the pitch forks will be sharpened and the torches will be lit ???
He failed to report "" Bulldogs true supporters are battle hardened and ready for what ever the future holds for them more impotently we are aware we can't sign unavailable marquee players "" !!!
So before we get our pitch forks and torches ready tell us who was needed and available Gus has failed to sign ???

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Signing yet another utility...

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Signing yet another utility...

We signed a 34 year old drunk plumber ?!?!

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s with the gay jokes?
Show me one concretely example of me doing something gay after 2017 and before 2016?
Well there was your over the top obsession with Dutchy Nash. What gay thing happened to you in 2017?

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Darren Arthur, ESPN NRL EditorDec 1, 2023, 10:00

Bulldogs General Manager of Football Phil Gould has long been an advocate for rebuilding a rugby league club from the ground up. He is firmly of the belief that lasting success must be based on home grown talent, young players who are identified in the local parks and eventually develop into nrl stars.

The logic is sound, you not only make the best use of your junior system, but you also develop stronger community ties with the club. The fans know these players, are related to these players, and they watch them rise through the ranks giving them a unique and unwavering level of support.

Gould went about rebuilding the Panthers by restructuring the club's junior system. Penrith's junior nursery is the biggest in rugby league and had been mismanaged and underutilised. After he left the club it rose to the current heights of success, with first grade teams made up almost entirely of local juniors. Some may argue about the degree of credit Gould should ultimately take for Penrith's premiership triumphs, but few would disagree that his tumultuous eight years at the club played a large part in their rise from NRL also-rans.

Canterbury Bulldogs General Manager of Football Phil Gould. Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

After a couple of short, not so successful, stints with St George Illawarra and New Zealand Warriors, Gould found a new challenge at the Bulldogs, signing on as the General Manager of Football in 2021. The Bulldogs, like Penrith, were a club close to his heart, having played in and coached premiership-winning Bulldogs teams.

He set about strengthening the junior pathways. He hired head coach Cameron Ciraldo from the Panthers and together they began a painful rebuilding process. The problem faced by Gould and Ciraldo is that after years of abject failure, Bulldogs fans don't have the patience to wait for the junior system to bear fruit. They want improvement now. Gould explained the enormity of the job on 100% Footy, as the 2023 season drew to a miserable close for the Bulldogs.

"I'd say it's probably the most difficult task I could imagine," Gould said.

"Having said that, it's a great club, it's a great club, we know it well - there's a huge groundswell of support out there if we can get it right, and I know we will in time. Putting a timeframe on that is impossible at the moment."

Connor Tracey of the Sharks makes a break against the Knights Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Getting it right has been the big challenge. The Bulldogs over the past year have made a flurry of signings. Apart from superstar Stephen Crichton, and perhaps Warriors forward Josh Curran, the players acquired would hardly be on top of any other club's list of targets. Kurt Mann, Drew Hutchison, Jaeman Salmon, Jake Turpin, Blake Taafe and Connor Tracey are all fringe first graders, experienced and hardened, but you wouldn't call them match winners.

"It's really hard at the moment, because I've never seen the player market and the ability to buy players and attract players as difficult as what it is at the moment," Gould continued.

"There's not many marquee players coming off-contract and at the moment, supply just doesn't equal demand.

"For us, it's a long-term approach where we're going to develop our own and we've started at the very lowest base and we are out there actively recruiting teenagers.

"In the meantime, what we want is living and breathing examples of people that have been at successful clubs and successful environments. The top sides are gonna have to shed players... it's been handy for us to pick them up."

Kurt Mann in action for the Newcastle Knights Ashley Feder/Getty Images

The result for the Bulldogs is a roster that looks like a dropped pizza. Ingredients everywhere, none of it making much sense and far from palatable for the fans. Take the mixed bag of players competing for backline positions below.

Potential fullbacks: Stephen Crichton, Blake Taafe, Connor Tracey, Hayze Perham, Blake Wilson and Josh Addo-Carr (remembering, he was signed to play fullback).

Wingers: Jacob Kiraz, Blake Wilson, Josh Addo-Carr, Jeral Skelton, Hayze Perham.

Centres: Bronson Xerri, Matt Burton, Connor Tracey, Drew Hutchison, Hayze Perham, Jordan Samrani, Jeral Skelton.

Five-eighths: Matt Burton, Drew Hutchison, Blake Taafe, Kurt Mann, Karl Oloapu.

Halfbacks: Toby Sexton, Bailey Biondi-Odo, Karl Oloapu, Drew Hutchison, Bailey Hayward (Development list).

Of course it pays to have depth, but you could assemble at least 10 legitimate backlines from that list and not one of them would frighten an opposition coach.

Aside from the backline confusion,there remains the very real issue that the Bulldogs lack any real firepower in the engine room. And we all know that rugby league games are won through forward dominance. The only hope for the Bulldogs is that this new crop of players will show more pride in their performances, and will at least put their bodies on the line for the cause.

Otherwise, it all points to another long and painful year for Bulldogs fans. Anyone expecting 2024 to be the year when Ciraldo's magic started to make a mark at Belmore, might be in for more disappointment. It will be a true test of his coaching skills to bring cohesion to this roster and produce a competitive side.

Bulldogs fans are all but out of patience, and if they see another aimless rabble meekly succumbing to humiliating defeats each week, the pitch forks will be sharpened, the torches lit, and Ciraldo and Gould will both be in the firing line.
I disagree. Tracy was a regular NRL player and was making a difference on the field to the Sharks attack. Mann was a regular first grader and often starting in the back row. Turpin became a regular backup hooker at the Roosters and made a difference when he came on. Same with Hutchison who ended up playing just about every game in one position or another.

Taaffe is OK and I see him as young potential talent that we can develop but may play a role in top grade as well similar to what Souths did. He will probably lead our NSW side and develop into a good fullback or half when needed. It will certainly make a reserves stronger which is good. Whenever the Dogs dominate their reserves have always been strong as well.

I think the 'too many options problem' is a good problem to have and I think potentially our backline is strong and not all over the place. Having Crita, Fox, Kiraz, Xerri and Tracy in the backline seems as good as most sides. Tracy often played centre and added some unpredictability.

I agree our mids have a ? but as Gus said there were not many options on the market. What can you do but then concentrate on our existing mids. But the team is not just about the mids but how the entire team has been transformed from what it was in the last few years and I think the second year of CCs higher standards and filtering out those who are not invested will make a difference as time goes by.

This is a 5 year plan not a 2 year plan. The board wanted immediate results and Gus wants to develop talent. Trying to please both sides seems hard to do. But I can understand getting some experienced and committed players to mentor youth is a good idea as it brings them into play faster but also plugs some glaring holes we had in the meantime which may make some difference in whether we lose or win some games.

Really I think we are only one or two good mids from a top 8 side.

Last edited:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the Bulldogs & Gould the only club they write these shitty types of story’s about or does every club cop their fair share ?

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are the Bulldogs & Gould the only club they write these shitty types of story’s about or does every club cop their fair share ?
This is what happens when u paint a massive target on your head like we have. Ya cop it

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What legitimate options for front rowers that would make a serious difference was there for Gus to sign for 2024? Not the big shots that weren’t seriously leaving their club but were flashed in the news to get an extra few $100ks at their present club, not journeymen also rans looking to eke out one more season before joining the workforce…actual options.

Probably count them on one hand with fingers to spare

But hey, let’s write another article to smash Gus and the dogs to get some clicks…getting rather tiresome really

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
What legitimate options for front rowers that would make a serious difference was there for Gus to sign for 2024? Not the big shots that weren’t seriously leaving their club but were flashed in the news to get an extra few $100ks at their present club, not journeymen also rans looking to eke out one more season before joining the workforce…actual options.

Probably count them on one hand with fingers to spare

But hey, let’s write another article to smash Gus and the dogs to get some clicks…getting rather tiresome really
No point over spending unless the player can really deliver. They could of offered more to a few players on the market but didn't. Most people can agree the team is looking stronger then last year and because of that there is more to look forward next year then last.