News NRL market watch: Cronulla Sharks agree player swap deal with Canterbury Bulldogs for Connor Tracey

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
David Rico or w.e. he's called said Tracey and Moylan were on a combined 500k. You'd think Moylan was on more than half of that. He would of got an upgrade here tho.
That doesn't quite add up, Moylan was on $350k last contract (ended in 2022) and the current contract signed for 2023 and 2024 was for more, how much more? The minimum for 2022 was $120k ($130k in 2024). If Riccio is correct then at best Moylan was on $350k to $380k and Tracey was on $120k to $150k. That's what would be required to make $500k in total.

Always a Bulldog

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't know how the team will line up. But our backline options and halves depth has benefited from a huge injection of quality. I don't care what the naysayers think. Our team will be better next year even if we don't pick up props.

Just look at it from a perspective of how many more players are going to stand between one of last season's least popular players (Perham) getting a start. There's tough choices now on 1-7 because we have more experienced choices.

Last season we had to throw far too many players in the deep end. We've been in that situation for years now. Some sank, a few swam. Those that sank aren't necessarily poor players. It's just tough expecting a youngster to make a difference when there are glaring deficiencies throughout the roster. We've really lacked quality halves, hooker, fullback and various guns in the backline for years. I think next year the club will put together a quality 1-7.

I'm happy with Tracey joining. You add the quality players that are available. If we see less overwhelmed youngsters thrown into the team next year I'll be happy. Hopefully we surprise the critics next year and jump out of the gates with some wins.
I actually said to Ciro today, Good luck with the good head aches.... There are at least 3 blokes vying for each position bar the starting props. Competition is rife this year round compared to last and will have NRL players playing reserve grade compared to last year's reserve graders playing NRL.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think there's more to the Avo story than he has let on publicly, tbh. I don't think it was just about wanting to play under Bennet, I think it was about wanting to getaway from our coaches. If he doesn't think he can take his game to the next level under Ciraldo, and that was the role reason, it still begs the question why. Bennet is a great, but a little past his best, I'd say. Ciraldo is supposed to be one of the best young coaches in the game. he clearly hasn't lived up to the hype to this point.
He complimented Ciraldo pretty freely recently. So if there was big drama Avo has moved on from it. Bennett has freely said he just simplifies the game for players. They have their role to play and are encouraged not to deviate from that much.

The test for Ciraldo lies in getting the new roster to perform. We were rubbish this year, but we had a horrific injury toll. I'd hoped for much better. But I hope we're able to exceed expectations and be in contention for the 8 next year. If we don't pick up the props we all hope for, it'll take strategy to take the pressure off our engine room. That'll show if Ciraldo is up to the hype he generated.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I actually said to Ciro today, Good luck with the good head aches.... There are at least 3 blokes vying for each position bar the starting props. Competition is rife this year round compared to last and will have NRL players playing reserve grade compared to last year's reserve graders playing NRL.
Bit worried about players such as ONeil, don't want them to get squeezed out or have to play Massey. Hope we can do a deal with Mounties or something again where we can loan them players, so they are at least playing cup.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That doesn't quite add up, Moylan was on $350k last contract (ended in 2022) and the current contract signed for 2023 and 2024 was for more, how much more? The minimum for 2022 was $120k ($130k in 2024). If Riccio is correct then at best Moylan was on $350k to $380k and Tracey was on $120k to $150k. That's what would be required to make $500k in total.

Always a Bulldog
I wouldn't put much faith in anything Riccio says

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
This is who we are looking at to develop the young talent? A bunch of reject journeymen who couldn't lock down starting positions at better clubs. Yeah, the future looks so bright.
Is tracey a reject? So is taffe? Criita? Curran? These guys all are better what what we had. We have upgraded without a doubt. Now flange tell me if you disagree.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bit worried about players such as ONeil, don't want them to get squeezed out or have to play Massey. Hope we can do a deal with Mounties or something again where we can loan them players, so they are at least playing cup.
I get what you mean but there's no issue with kids like Oneil playing Massey tbh.. Probably a good thing kids arent being thrown into deep ends as much and are given good time to hone in on their trades.

In regards to young halves we still have BBO, Hayward and Rajab running around too so good chance some kids will be playing left right out.

Its a positive as its keeping everyone honest too.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Must be after factoring in new signings and upgrades also. Theres no way those 2 are on 500 combined
Maybe Moylan was on 250k for his last year of the contract which is why he was happy to bail? Did u consider that before twisting your cute knickers?

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Is the young bloke, Gabrael, that we let go any good?
What position?
He played centre for our winning Flegg side. But I think he was a Parra junior we got recently. Its unfortunate but I think Gus maybe on this occassion Gus sees more value in getting a first grader for next season. I think he was reluctant as it was breaking up the Flegg side which has been successful.

But I think there are a couple of other young centres we have added to the lower grades such as Jordan Samrani. I would also think that having so many first grade centre options with Kiraz, Crita, Xerri, Hutchinson and Tracy that one or two f them will be playing NSW cup which should strengthen up there as well which will filter down.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He played centre for our winning Flegg side. But I think he was a Parra junior we got recently. Its unfortunate but I think Gus maybe on this occassion Gus sees more value in getting a first grader for next season. I think he was reluctant as it was breaking up the Flegg side which has been successful.

But I think there are a couple of other young centres we have added to the lower grades such as Jordan Samrani. I would also think that having so many first grade centre options with Kiraz, Crita, Xerri, Hutchinson and Tracy that one or two f them will be playing NSW cup which should strengthen up there as well which will filter down.
Parra junior yes

stevesonthebay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I also thought signing Tracy was strange logic in that we have so many backs and utilities now. Maybe Gus is trying to build a team of utilities lol. Having what Crita, Kiraz, Xerri, Hutchinson, Skelton and now Tracy will mean at least one if not two first graders will end up playing NSW cup.

At least between all the potential outside backs a few will play NSW cup which should strengthen an already good side and filter down through the grades. Maybe Gus is thinking we need experience in the lower grades to help the young players develop better.

I think Tracy and Sexton will be competing for Burtons halves partner. But we have Hutchinson as well which seems excess. Hooker is also strengthened with Turpin and maybe Mann. I mean we could even put Crita and Burton in the centres with Tracy and Sexton at halves and that is not bad compared to recent years with our halves problem.

I do like that we are covering all bases and plugging holes which should bring out overall ability up a notch or two. But I worry about our lack of mids. Unless Gus and CC believe that our young mids along with a couple of experienced mids is enough to get us by until we get AFB or Klemmer.

Maybe we get Klemmer sooner rather than later as the talk about him and Tigers wanting Lui. Makes a lot of sense as Klemmer won't be super expensive and is a Bulldog at heart who can lead the pack. In the mean time I guess we put our faith in our young mids like Hughes and Patolo standing up in what should be a overhauled side that offers much more potential.

Last edited:

Dogiezz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great job by Gus and Ciro recuirting, I can see what is building :hearteyes:

Need some props for the cherry on top! :tearsofjoy:
I still see what we have doing better than many think!

We will be so much better in 2024!8-)

Go the doggies! Fark the pussies! :tearsofjoy::hearteyes:

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I have a few concerns and questions on this.

1. We swapped a development player for a player that surely wouldn’t come if he wasn’t top 30. So what is the plan here? Who is leaving from the top 30? We need to create room. This couldnt have happened unless that player has been Identified. Are we about to lose JAC ?

2. Why are we getting an outside back when we have already signed outside backs? Even if a player is on the outer as per point 1, we are going to need to ship out a 2nd player in order to get Klemmer or AFB or someone. Who? Why are we signing this guy?

3. We have just bought a fringe first grade 27 yr old and swapped him with a teenage SG ball star. A Lebanese player too!
But hang on!! Isn’t Gus’ whole big spiel and mantra is to be patient so the kids can come through the grades and have a new era of dominance?
Is he talkign shit?
Because he’s just traded out the type of highly rated player he’s been telling us to wait for!?

Nothing about this computes for me at all. And it kinda makes me think Gus is lying about the pathways as he has just sold one out for a cheap instant gratificationbuy at first opportunity.

I’m not being negative or being ‘clown crew adjacent’ this is a serious set of concerns and question I have?
Hi Nasheed ... Billy here,

I must say i find myself in agreement with you on this issue.

Tracey is a good attacking player but as you say he has been in and out of first grade his entire career .... i have always thought he struggles a little in the defensive side of the game.

To trade away one of our better young players is puzzling ...

Why the desperate need to get him??? ..... it's the one area we have some depth.

Perhaps we are trying to assemble the fastest backline of all time? ..... or exploiting some sort of market inefficiency?:smirk:

PLENTY happening behind the scenes ...

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
If Moylan was a bulldog guaranteed Riccio states his contract at 600k and Tracey 400k

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Pretty sure that was his brother Danny.

Michael was injured.

Shame to see Michael go regardless as he was a handful and looked a future rep striking a decent combo with Mazzone but it goes to show we have plenty in the stock bag atm.