O’Neill
Hayward
The homie that the AFL want.
Something have to give rite ?

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would be real nice to have a halves pairing come through the grades and eventually steer the doggies around for 10 plus years together.
As long as Kennelers realise that this is not a return to the top until this young talent develops.

2024 is still looking like another tough season for us, hopefully with a few more wins.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
May I ask, why do we need him?
We have in the halves…
Khaleb
O’Neill
Hayward
The homie that the AFL want.
Something have to give rite ?
I'm guessing that it is to make the top spot one that they must compete for. This should get the best out of them, and out of our lower grades, then we can pick the most talented when they're ready for the big time. It also gives us depth.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree! The structures Gus is putting in place with pathways at the dogs will come together.

My point was more the game as a whole would benefit with a national level second grade competition.

They had the Holden & Toyota cup competition which was Under 20. I think this was too young to catch everyone.

If this age was increased to 23 with a smattering of overage players. This would build a much better product adding depth in our game.

Matt’s, Ball & Flagg can stay as they are. Having a national 2nd grade competition would greatly improve the talent pool for NRL.
It used to be under 23s back in the day.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree! The structures Gus is putting in place with pathways at the dogs will come together.

My point was more the game as a whole would benefit with a national level second grade competition.

They had the Holden & Toyota cup competition which was Under 20. I think this was too young to catch everyone.

If this age was increased to 23 with a smattering of overage players. This would build a much better product adding depth in our game.

Matt’s, Ball & Flagg can stay as they are. Having a national 2nd grade competition would greatly improve the talent pool for NRL.
Thats why dogs have put in a massey team, to capture the 22-23 that cant make reserve grade

Doglover28

Waterboy
Reaction score
A lot of people within Tiger land are very upset about losing Conti. Heaps of pressure on Fulton.
Do you know the reason why Conti wanted to leave Wests or Wests not that keen on him?

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tigers forum absolutely gutted to lose this guy. I know a guy on their forum who openly attends junior rep games every weekend and said Conti was by far the best player on the park win, lose or draw for Balmain. I think having already played highschool/union in the same spine as Woods will really show well next year. Lets go get SG Ball and more again next year

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It seems like unless you are a superstar you don't make it early and if you don't make it early those players end up journeyman. A fulltime reserve grade keeps them in the game to develop and wait their turn and stops them going to England. The older days reserve grade was every strong and every club had a mix of ARL and youth. The u20s will build and they have to be semi pro. The NRL have to start investing more into the lower grades and run the comps. Nswrl & Qrl should just run state comps.
They need better TV deals. Needs more interest, reward, what benefit does the winner get? You don't want only die hard league fans, families, and scouts watching.

Promotion relegation- create an extension of the existing league (NRL) by adding to the existing reserve grade, using and improving existing systems and infrastructure, facilities, and creates real reward. Pre extension era Clubs (the existing 2023 NRL teams) don't relegate for now or whatever. Existing affiliate clubs don't promote, eg, Bulldogs reserve grade doesn't promote to NRL.

Create more interest in NSW and QLD cups, let NSWRL AND QRL manage the teams admitted in the league as they currently already do. Plenty of wealthy sports RLFCs around Sydney and the state, QLD has clubs already (and affiliates) and they could still admit more clubs if they wanted. Both cups need a couple free to air games, even if they're cheap deals on non prime name channels. And every game recorded, streamed, this is basic in being a professional league.

What benefit does the NSW and QLD highest placed teams get? Each get promotion to NRL and 3rd team is decided by a decider on the 2 highest placed NSW and QLD teams. Relegation for the lowest placed team of the 3 each season. That makes 20 NRL clubs.

I'm not a professional in this field for all the what if questions, but it's doable, and would benefit most stakeholders.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
They need better TV deals. Needs more interest, reward, what benefit does the winner get? You don't want only die hard league fans, families, and scouts watching.

Promotion relegation- create an extension of the existing league (NRL) by adding to the existing reserve grade, using and improving existing systems and infrastructure, facilities, and creates real reward. Pre extension era Clubs (the existing 2023 NRL teams) don't relegate for now or whatever. Existing affiliate clubs don't promote, eg, Bulldogs reserve grade doesn't promote to NRL.

Create more interest in NSW and QLD cups, let NSWRL AND QRL manage the teams admitted in the league as they currently already do. Plenty of wealthy sports RLFCs around Sydney and the state, QLD has clubs already (and affiliates) and they could still admit more clubs if they wanted. Both cups need a couple free to air games, even if they're cheap deals on non prime name channels. And every game recorded, streamed, this is basic in being a professional league.

What benefit does the NSW and QLD highest placed teams get? Each get promotion to NRL and 3rd team is decided by a decider on the 2 highest placed NSW and QLD teams. Relegation for the lowest placed team of the 3 each season. That makes 20 NRL clubs.

I'm not a professional in this field for all the what if questions, but it's doable, and would benefit most stakeholders.
There will never be a promotion system here. I agree reserve grade has to be more professional and higher cap to keep players in the game longer. Being a professional doesn’t have to be nrl only but from 20s. Nrl is pretty much the most amateurish run professional sport in the world.