News Billy Slater urges Bulldogs rethink over star recruit Stephen Crichton

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wish wed just play players to their strengths.
Solidify or tick off positions then work on strengthening other weaknesses.
Burton and Crichton in the centers, cant go wrong.
This is the intelligent way of approaching football,
Before we signed him I argued with others about where he should/will play and what he will be signing for.
I still stand by what I've said !!!
Most importantly Crichton is naturally the best centre in the world, moving him to fullback would risk him getting injured, playing fullback demands different fitness levels,
eg. T. Turbo L. Mitchell further back B. Morris.
IMO this is the best and the likeliest back-line to start next season...
1 Taaffe............the modern day fullback is an extra halfback.
2 Kiraz..............best on the wing maybe a centre, doesn't have the fitness required for fullback.
3 Crichton.......for what he is.
4 Xerri..............his preseason form will determine if he gets picked.
5 JAC
6 Burton..........has to be given more time not too long though.
7 Sexton
In reality form should and will determine selections including players I did not mention !

Last edited:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the intelligent way of approaching football,
Before we signed him I argued with others about where he should/will play and what he will be signing for.
I still stand by what I've said !!!
Most importantly Crichton is naturally the best centre in the world, moving him to fullback would risk him getting injured, playing fullback demands different fitness levels,
eg. T. Turbo L. Mitchell further back B. Morris.
IMO this is the best and the likeliest back-line to start next season...
1 Taaffe............the modern day fullback is an extra halfback.
2 Kiraz..............best on the wing maybe a centre, doesn't have the fitness required for fullback.
3 Crichton.......for what he is.
4 Xerri..............his preseason form will determine if he gets picked.
5 JAC
6 Burton..........has to be given more time not too long though.
7 Sexton
In reality form should and will determine selections including players I did not mention !
So tell us where will he play and what did he sign for?

You were arguing with others because you were so sure that he was signed as a centre when all other reports were saying he was signed to play fullback !

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
In business it's best to develop a strength rather than trying to improve a weakness. Therefore for us I think the goal should be to try and get the best backline in the comp, as in best 1-7. We have fox so let's play Critta in his best postition as a centre or wing. We have Taafe, Wilson and Pappa that could all end up being good fb, Wilson and Pappa could end up being elite.We have improved our halves but for me Ben Hunt should continue being Number 1. That way we will have close to the best back line in the comp, Hunt can then mentor the HM kid. We are starting off too low to get the best forward pack but getting the best backline is possible. That being said we need to improve the forwards no doubt but paying overs for Hunt would be better than having to pay 1.2 mil for Moe for instance.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For all the Burton to centre brigade

he excelled there in 2021 due to receiving quality ball from Luai

In our side no one’s giving him quality ball

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

You were arguing with others because you were so sure that he was signed as a centre when all other reports were saying he was signed to play fullback !
I will repeat again, he was signed on a higher contract than what Penrith offered not the current classic fullbacks money with an opportunity to play fullback and improve not a promise,
How many times did Gus say that he will play anywhere the coach wants him to play, what doe he mean ?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

I will repeat again, he was signed on a higher contract than what Penrith offered not the current classic fullbacks money with an opportunity to play fullback and improve not a promise,
How many times did Gus say that he will play anywhere the coach wants him to play, what doe he mean ?
I can absolutely guarantee that there is no mention of fullback (or centre) in the contract Crichton signed.

Always a Bulldog

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
1. Taaffe
2. Xerri
3. Crichton
4. Burton
5. Jac
6. Hutchinson
7. Sexton
I like it, that’s a potent backline … but I’m prepared to give Burton one more chance at 5/8 before shifting to centre where he appears to be more consistent. Also, I feel like Xerri needs to earn his stripes over Kiraz, Wilson and Skelton. Be good to get Jordan McLean for 2024 and Hopefully by 2025, we add prime guys like Fotuaika.

1. Taaffe
2. Wilson
3. Crichton
4. Skelton
5. Fox
6. Burton
7. Hutchinson
8. SST
9. Mahoney
10. Faamausili
11. Preston
12. Kikau
13. Salmon

14. Turpin
15. King
15. Patolo
16. Hughes

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Says the guy whose already given up on our coach less than a year into his rebuild.
Yeah, I'm the bad guy..... not the bloke who had us leaking 32 points a game this season. I don't like having to give up on us, but Ciraldo's lack of ability is clear to all those who are honest enough to admit it.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
There is being realistic and trolling, me calling next year a write off isn't trolling, just being realistic.
Why should next year be a write off if Ciraldo is competent? That's excuse making straight from the Gus Gould propaganda handbook. No reason we shouldn't be able to try and push for finals next year, if Ciraldo knows what he's doing.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree with Billy.

Crichton can do a lot of the same from the centre position and I think his defence in the front line is vital.
Absolutely - he’s one of, if not, the best centre in the world. Defensively, no question, he’s the best and changes games with his read of play. If he’s moved from centre to fb, to me, it should only become if we have no other options. I’d be trialling Taaffe, Wilson, Fox or even Burton in #1 before Crichton.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
who said Crichton is going to be fullback anyway?
Taffe is a fullback did they buy him to play centre?

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What ever the outcome in positional choices Cameron decides on, hope he doesn't wait until the end of the year before realising it has not worked.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can absolutely guarantee that there is no mention of fullback (or centre) in the contract Crichton signed.

Always a Bulldog
I guarantee nothing but my source is normally reliable !
It's why Gus said " he will play wherever the coach wants him to play "