Tapped on the shoulder to prize pooch: Lewis's rise through Bulldogs ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah mate agree. He wants the ball when the going gets tough and that alone makes a big difference. We have been too used to halves shrinking in the moment - Frawley, Mbye, Marshall King, Reynolds (he wanted the ball but just made shit decisions).
Winners always want the ball!!! No comment on Reynolds so glad he is gone.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol, wasn't there an article saying Cogger had also been promised a spot in the halves when he signed.

If we asked Lewis to move on thinking Frawley was in front of him goes to show how many bad judges of talent we have at the club.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wait ...So Pay didn’t want Lewis , then to make sure of that fact he makes him train and play reserve grade at Centre then with no other options debuts him and now he’s parading him to press conferences like he developed him like he knew all along he had a gun player

Haha

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Wow just wow, the club almost let go of our one bright spark in the halves that we have been missing since Shifty. I’ve said it before, in 2 years, throw the chequebook and kitchen sink at him, cause there is no way a kid this tough will have regressed. This kid is just a winner, somebody we’ve been sorely missing.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Where’s Marley .... this should be fun lol

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wait ...So Pay didn’t want Lewis , then to make sure of that fact he makes him train and play reserve grade at Centre then with no other options debuts him and now he’s parading him to press conferences like he developed him like he knew all along he had a gun player

Haha
It's funny because it's true :grinning:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Haha
how do you figure that ... I doubt Lewis would be so complimentary of Pay if what you suggest was the case.. Probably Dib again trying to be recruitment manager....
Anyway by lewis' own admission, he needed to 'Knuckle down' so maybe he just wasn't taking his career seriously ..
The word 'Club' was referenced a lot , not 'Coach'...

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol, wasn't there an article saying Cogger had also been promised a spot in the halves when he signed.

If we asked Lewis to move on thinking Frawley was in front of him goes to show how many bad judges of talent we have at the club.
Maybe there was by a journo but cogger was interviewed and said he wasn’t promised anything

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
But upon returning to pre-season training last November the club told Lewis he was unlikely to see NRL game time having dropped out of Canterbury's top squad, and he was welcome to try and pursue a first grade start at a rival club.

With his base level Bulldogs deal expiring at the end of 2018 and without a manager at the time, Lewis put the uncertainty to one side and pushed on regardless.

"One year into my two-and-a-half year contract they said you're actually not in the top 30 and you actually won't be able to play NRL, they tap you on the shoulder and say if you want to go somewhere else you can," Lewis says.

This is JT like stupidity!!! Thank f@ck the club came to it's senses before they did something stupid like letting Lewis walk. P.S F@CK the old board....bunch of wankers!!!
We were just lucky that Mbye is a fucking piece of shit or Lewis would be gone

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
this is the exact story last year with liccha, trying to salvage from a dog shit season,just like druken yobos in a pub cheering a pointless late conversion for losing team
The meaning of your post eludes me. Are you saying that Lewis is shite and a false hope like Liccha was/is and we who have hope in him (Lewis) are yobo's or something else? lol

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Haha
By the sounds of it Des dident have him in the top 30 , he said 1 year into a 2 and half year he was told , he was signed in 2016 meaning that one year was when Hasler was in charge not Pay

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This kid WANTS to play for the dogs you can’t coach that I just wish someone would tap lichaa on the shoulder..........again

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think the wording of this article makes it sound worse than it actually is/was.

We'd already signed Cogger, and had Mbye and Foran.

It's not that he was unwanted, more that the club had other ideas moving forwards and didn't want to hold back his development and a chance at first grade elsewhere.

Much like Knights have done with Meaney and Cogger.

Why hold onto a player with false promise when you don't intend to play them in first grade.

Of course with Mbye fucking off and Foran going down, and with Frawley, and Cleeland off contract next year, that opened the opportunity right up. With Lewis proving himself in lower grades (with few errors and much consistency) he made himself get noticed and given a chance.

Maybe there was by a journo but cogger was interviewed and said he wasn’t promised anything
Cogger in a Players Voice article by himself stated he signed here with the chance of a first grade opportunity.

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/jack-cogger-not-just-my-fathers-son/#dJkR1caPhE2r6PPB.97

THE BULLDOGS SWITCH

But here’s why I made the decision to join Canterbury.

The Bulldogs offered me the chance to be a starting halfback. During that recent trend of playing left and right halves, people started to view halfback and five-eighth as the same. But at most successful clubs, the playing style has reverted to a traditional, ball-dominant halfback with the five-eighth outside, playing in a combination on the same side of the ruck.

I’ve always played better as the organising No.7. At the Knights, that player will be Mitch.

So when you’ve got a club saying they want you for that role, putting the confidence in you, it’s hard to say no.

That time out of the NRL was disappointing. A big chance to show everyone what I could do had passed by.

I’ve worked with Dean Pay in junior rep teams, most recently with NSW under-20s. We had a successful team there, he made me captain and gave me plenty of confidence in my ability. I’ll be excited to work with him again; I like the way he approaches his coaching.

But Dean hasn’t made any promises about starting. I don’t want that, anyway. These days, a lot of nice-sounding promises are thrown around. You want to earn your jersey. Earn the respect of your teammates. Nothing should be just given to you.

If I prove myself, hopefully playing with Kieran Foran works well. He’s been playing the game at a high level for a while now and is probably best known as a strong runner of the footy. I play best as an organiser, so hopefully it’s a good combination.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
She is, off her instagram.

"Est. 1996, Sydney"
It's important to read the comment with punctuation.
Est 1996 , Sydney

She was born in 1996, and currently resides in Sydney, but shes originally from Brisbane. They both moved to Sydney together (i.e she wasn't residing in Sydney before that).

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...l/news-story/09cfd57788fa8a3ea2bfdcd7796a181a
October 07, 2016
Lachlan Lewis and his partner Stephanie Russo, both 20, have just moved to Sydney and have found the city too expensive to go out often. Being a rugby player as well, Mr Lewis is conscious about what he drinks and would rather save his money than spend it on a night out. “It’s smarter not to drink, I play better if I don’t,” Mr Lewis said. “Drinking a lot is just not the lifestyle either of us lead. We are paying rent, we’re both studying, we just can’t afford to go out like that anymore.”

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All I can say Is you could always see the potential when he was running around in the lower grade, was always something a little special about his game management and his kicking game etc..

This club better keep him an make sure of it early on (NOW) all clubs want an should have a player like this!!! We had this in JT an let him slip away..this is the hidden gem we have been waiting for

Don’t make the same mistake an cost us this one bulldogs, get it right and LOCK THE PRINCE up before all the other teams come sniffing.

Oops they already are..!!!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
By the sounds of it Des dident have him in the top 30 , he said 1 year into a 2 and half year he was told , he was signed in 2016 meaning that one year was when Hasler was in charge not Pay
He was tapped in November which means Des was long gone

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how do you figure that ... I doubt Lewis would be so complimentary of Pay if what you suggest was the case.. Probably Dib again trying to be recruitment manager....
Anyway by lewis' own admission, he needed to 'Knuckle down' so maybe he just wasn't taking his career seriously ..
The word 'Club' was referenced a lot , not 'Coach'...
yeah. he was tapped on the shoulder and started to have other things on his mind. he saw that Pay was a Coach that rewards effort and commitment when he signed JMK up to top 30. Thought hey I put the effort in and I'm committed until I was tapped on shoulder. I'm going to put in the effort, improve my game and see what happens. bang.

Status
Not open for further replies.