Gay marriage plebiscite - Result YES to SSM

Should the law be changed to allow same-sex couples to marry?

• Yes

• No

• Not Voting

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's your position, and why ?
Personally, while I'm not fussed either way, I'm not entirely sure what this will achieve.
Gay couples already have the same legal rights and obligations as married and de-facto couples.
Regardless of the result, churches won't be forced to marry gay couples.
The only thing to be gained from this, is the bit of paper from births, deaths and marriages that says "on this day, these people were married" (mine's in a box, in a cupboard somewhere)
Is it really worth it ?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not marriage.. The fundamental requirements are not met so how can it be?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i say let them get married but only if they achieve a very difficult task to prove that they really wanted to get married and it wasnt just a thing about getting their human rights

for example if they run a marathon in a very good ethiopian type time they can get married

Last edited:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not interested in advocating for or against SSM here. People i'm sure have already made up their minds.

But regardless of what you believe, this "plebiscite" is a waste of fucking money. Its costing $120m+, and is being done voluntarily by post, FFS. Hello, 19th century. The government has backed itself into a corner, and as it doesn't want make the hard decisions, has chosen to kick the can down the road. It's pathetic governing (I would say this regardless of who was in power).

As well as the cost, it will also be distracting all politics for the next couple of months, when there are so many other things to deal with. Never mind that today, Bob Katter has threatened to withdraw supply and confidence the government , and with all this hoo-haa about dual citizenship, we may have to have another election soon as well. This parliament is probably less stable than Whitlam's was before it was sacked.

If you want to do an opinion poll that is non binding, and voluntary, and therefore pretty much means nothing, except to give one party the go ahead or not to hold a free vote in parliament, there are already hundreds of those available, and they didn't cost over $100m.

Just have a vote, and let the tiles fall where they do, or don't have one. Like you do with every other law.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
What's your position, and why ?
Personally, while I'm not fussed either way, I'm not entirely sure what this will achieve.
Gay couples already have the same legal rights and obligations as married and de-facto couples.
Regardless of the result, churches won't be forced to marry gay couples.
The only thing to be gained from this, is the bit of paper from births, deaths and marriages that says "on this day, these people were married" (mine's in a box, in a cupboard somewhere)
Is it really worth it ?
No, it's not worth it. $122,000,000 that could go towards hospitals, schools, roads, defense, ANYTHING ELSE

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
btw i think the voluntary part of it is to produce a closer result because only people who care enough about it will vote

i think people who dont care about it would probably support it with a 'why not' mentality

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
they are already allowed to live as a couple and have a relationship

why stop them going all the way, let them get married by a gay priest or gay imam in a gay church / gay mosque.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
they are already allowed to live as a couple and have a relationship

why stop them going all the way, let them get married by a gay priest or gay imam in a gay church / gay mosque.
And they can eat all the gay times they want.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
And they can eat all the gay times they want.
gaytimes have got nothing to do with homosexuality ffs, i think the gay part references being happy

im heterosexual and i have love gaytime

Status
Not open for further replies.