Mbye: The most expensive average player in NRL history

Status
Not open for further replies.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I cannot think of very many players who are on multimillion dollar contracts who are as stock average and unimpressive as Mbye. I think it's likely he is actually the only one in Australia/the world in Rugby League who gets paid millions to be completely average.

If someone can point me in the direction of a worse player who gets paid more I'd like to hear it.

I think people give him far too much leeway because he's got some charisma, but he is absolutely a waste of money. If there's one player who will find the oppositions fullbacks chest 9 times out of 10 from a kick, it's Mbye.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tony Williams. And he does a lot less than mbye. Worst. Buy. Ever.
Damn that's close. You make a good argument. He's reserve grade and was on around $2.4m for 4, Mbye is on ~$3m for 4.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terrible half. Will make a good hooker IMO, but is still definitely earning far too much coin currently!

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He should be charged with fraud.

Reactions: DT

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Should be played in a position he suits! She-rex easily wins IMO, good call Dognacious!

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Should be played in a position he suits! She-rex easily wins IMO, good call Dognacious!
Probably not a co-incidence that both Mbye's over inflated pay and She rex are Des' fault. He brought Williams over, and he also got Mbye resigned as a halfback, on halfback pay. But he isnt a halfback.

Back ended contracts that are killing us now..

The players dont want to win for him now, we seem to be tanking...

Everything that is wrong is because Des.

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I cannot think of very many players who are on multimillion dollar contracts who are as stock average and unimpressive as Mbye. I think it's likely he is actually the only one in Australia/the world in Rugby League who gets paid millions to be completely average.

If someone can point me in the direction of a worse player who gets paid more I'd like to hear it.

I think people give him far too much leeway because he's got some charisma, but he is absolutely a waste of money. If there's one player who will find the oppositions fullbacks chest 9 times out of 10 from a kick, it's Mbye.
Trex?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i am starting to believe that Des was also behind the 9-11 attacks

no saudi hijackers
no CIA
no Isreal

only

Fuck Des!

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Probably not a co-incidence that both Mbye's over inflated pay and She rex are Des' fault. He brought Williams over, and he also got Mbye resigned as a halfback, on halfback pay. But he isnt a halfback.

Back ended contracts that are killing us now..

The players dont want to win for him now, we seem to be tanking...

Everything that is wrong is because Des.

So a few years ago we had the worst highest paid player, then he got sacked and we went out to find a new player to be the worst highest paid player

Incredible

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
i am starting to believe that Des was also behind the 9-11 attacks

no saudi hijackers
no CIA
no Isreal

only

Fuck Des!
Lol fuck ya

You made me laugh out loud literally and people are looking at me weirdly

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Terrible half. Will make a good hooker IMO, but is still definitely earning far too much coin currently!
Right!
The season is over.
Why the fuck won't des ffs throw mbye at fb?

But nooooooooo

Throws Stanley at 7.

Such a brace move des.
Idiot if all idiots.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dib should struggle in the election next year. He allowed them to agree to pay Mbye Halfback pay before he was proven at halfback, and later extend Des after 1 win (and 3 losses) this year, before Des was proven to have improved or changed anything after last years failure. The board have made some poor decisions worth lots of money in recent years. If Castle wasnt already going, she also should have been anyway, for her part in resigning Des.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Damn that's close. You make a good argument. He's reserve grade and was on around $2.4m for 4, Mbye is on ~$3m for 4.
No he wasn't. He was on $1.6m for 4 years or less than tim mannah.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a poor decision by the club to sign him on big money based on potential. But at the time I'd say that at an absolute minimum 1/4 people on the kennel thought that by now Mbye would be pushing for regular origin selection.

I think in some cases being on good money probably teaches players bad habits. Compare Mbye and the aboriginal Alfie Langer. They were both working hard to establish themselves until the big money contract hit them. Neither seemed to give two shits about improving after that.

It's a bit of a sad thing really that halves these days are going to be overpaid once they establish themselves.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No he wasn't. He was on $1.6m for 4 years or less than tim mannah.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-was-for-money-not-love-20140930-10nk3g.html

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ke-excuses-for-form-slump-20140523-zrm1y.html

Tony Williams admits it was that very pay packet – worth close to $2.4 million over four years – that lured him away from Manly, not shying away from the fact that his decision to join Canterbury in 2012 was purely for financial reasons.
Every form of critic – from retired player in the commentary box to the man, woman and child on the hill – let him know he wasn’t worth a cent of the $2.4 million deal that led to his departure from Brookvale.
I like you Oatley Dog

You're a man who doesn't know what he's talking about but you're not afraid to let that stop you talking

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we all saw those average games mbye played before he signed that contract, the real question is who here on this forum said we should sign mybe

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mbye is our version of Kurt Gidley and Des' next master stroke will be to make him captain from the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.