CODY Walker could sensationally walk out on South Sydney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walker has been one of Souths’ best players this season and is now wearing the all-important No.1 jersey, but the Daily Telegraph can reveal he is one of the worst paid representative stars in the NRL on a pay packet worth around $200,000.

And with the Country Origin representative’s deal to rise to around $260,000 next year, Walker’s management are demanding their star player be paid accordingly, especially with Dane Gagai reportedly on the verge of accepting a three-year deal worth around $2 million as a centre.

SQUADS: NRL teams round 11

Walker’s performances this season could make him a big earner. Image: Gregg Porteous
Most top-line fullbacks in the game are also earning in excess of $700,000, which makes Walker one of the NRL’s biggest bargain buys.

“There are issues with Cody’s deal we’re trying to work through at the moment with Souths,’’ Walker’s new agent Matt Rose said.

“But where that gets to I’m not sure.’’

Walker signed a new deal for next year with an option in his favour for 2019, ignoring a $600,000 three-year deal to join Wayne Bennett at the Broncos. He was happy with the deal at the time he signed.

Several clubs have already made inquiries about Walker should his situation with Souths come to an ugly end.

LISTEN! The Monday Bunker team dissect the forward pass fiasco, the ‘dumb’ rule that extinguished Tom Trbojevic’s Origin dream plus why DCE is not in Origin contention.

Walker has not complained to Souths officials, but Rose, who had nothing to do with the current deal, will demand an increase or seek a release.

He struck up a wonderful halves partnership with Adam Reynolds before being shifted to fullback last weekend where he will remain until Greg Inglis recovers from knee surgery.

If the Rabbits are any hope of charging towards the finals, they will need Walker to fire at the back.

Souths stood by Walker when he dealt with several off-field incidents in recent years, and were the club which gave him his NRL debut as a 26-year-old.

Rabbitohs boss Shane Richardson said they were happy to revisit Walker’s deal once they knew what the salary cap would be.

Dane Gagai is rumoured to be heading to Redfern. (AAP Image/Darren Pateman)
Alex Johnston is another player holding out for fullback money, but has only been offered a deal as a winger. The Bunnies are likely to shed another player to make accommodate the pending arrival of Queensland Origin winger Gagai.

“We will look at upgrading Cody once we find out what the salary cap is and what our roster looks like,’’ Richardson said.

“We have no intentions of releasing Cody under any circumstances.’’

Waker has been able to finetune his game under Inglis, one of the game’s greatest modern-day fullbacks, and had a blinder against the Wests Tigers last Friday where he ran for 160m, had two try assists and 10 tackle busts.

He will go head to head with Billy Slater when the Bunnies travel to Perth and host Melbourne on Sunday night.

Wouldn't mind him playing fullback for us.

What is everyone else's opinion.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't stand players making these kind of threats. His contract he signed was for what he was worth at the time.

Send him back to reserve grade until he wakes up to himself. If I were souths there is no way I'd let him go
Not sure what game his new agent is playing here? I actually think Souths would be in big trouble if Walker left. He's their best player outside of Surgess most weeks and is probably wondering why he isn't getting paid more. He was also an old rookie at 26 so has a lot less time to make his money than other players. Tigers would probably offer him 800k right now

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not sure what game his new agent is playing here? I actually think Souths would be in big trouble if Walker left. He's their best player outside of Surgess most weeks and is probably wondering why he isn't getting paid more. He was also an old rookie at 26 so has a lot less time to make his money than other players. Tigers would probably offer him 800k right now
Well his manager knows how important he is to the bunnies that's why he is blackmailing them for more money. They are scummy pricks

These days clubs get nothing out of unearthing players like this on cheap deals because shit like this happens all the time

Look at DCE, after his first good year in which he was on peanuts he threaten to leave so they had to upgrade him when he still had a year or 2 left on his contract

Clubs get no reward for things like this

BankstownBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate seeing this bullshit from players and their managers.

If you sign a contract buddy for $200k then you are already well ahead of me on the pay scale and I work 10hrs a day 6 days a week laying pipes on sub divisions.

If he was injured or his form drops will he renegotiate for minimum pay?

Wankers.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well his manager knows how important he is to the bunnies that's why he is blackmailing them for more money. They are scummy pricks

These days clubs get nothing out of unearthing players like this on cheap deals because shit like this happens all the time

Look at DCE, after his first good year in which he was on peanuts he threaten to leave so they had to upgrade him when he still had a year or 2 left on his contract

Clubs get no reward for things like this
Their reward I guess is they have a quality player on the cheap for a few years. Souths don't have to budge but after seeing the crap with Moses and knowing they don't want to concede this year I think they'll negotiate. Not having Inglis and Walker pretty much kills Souths season

Upupcronulla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Their reward I guess is they have a quality player on the cheap for a few years. Souths don't have to budge but after seeing the crap with Moses and knowing they don't want to concede this year I think they'll negotiate. Not having Inglis and Walker pretty much kills Souths season
But there is no reward because after one decent year they want an upgrade. The reward would be getting that good player for the whole duration of what he signed for

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But there is no reward because after one decent year they want an upgrade. The reward would be getting that good player for the whole duration of what he signed for
NRL contracts don't mean anything anymore and player agents have all the power

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If he is only on 200k then we should be offering more. Put it this way if Ben hunt is on a million and josh Reynolds is on 750k josh Dugan 1million we should offer him 600k. He's a great player and could play fullback or back up half.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
If he is only on 200k then we should be offering more. Put it this way if Ben hunt is on a million and josh Reynolds is on 750k josh Dugan 1million we should offer him 600k. He's a great player and could play fullback or back up half.
well he can ask for that when his contract is up

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can't stand players making these kind of threats. His contract he signed was for what he was worth at the time.

Send him back to reserve grade until he wakes up to himself. If I were souths there is no way I'd let him go
Be assured Canterbury will not touch him unless South lets him go.
I believe the two clubs have an agreement !

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yep. Id happily have
1. Walker
6. Foran
7. Frawley
9. Mbye
even though i think Cody is a way better 6

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Be assured Canterbury will not touch him unless South lets him go.
I believe the two clubs have an agreement !
We the ***** rang that bell and weren't respectful of our clubs experience on that day... as well as black friday... Souffs can get fucked, as if anyone would honour a deal with them. Metaphorical Chester Lampwick (simpsons reference)

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Does it need to be said that until the NRL enforce Contracts this will get worse?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We the ***** rang that bell and weren't respectful of our clubs experience on that day... as well as black friday... Souffs can get fucked, as if anyone would honour a deal with them. Metaphorical Chester Lampwick (simpsons reference)
Tell that to the management !

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't see how anyone is blaming him, his a top 3 player at his club and is on 200k, and he only has maybe 5 years of footy left so he needs to look after his family.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yep. Id happily have
1. Walker
6. Foran
7. Frawley
9. Mbye
even though i think Cody is a way better 6
Hahahaha. When i read the op post first thought was who will be the first nuffy to call for him to come here, and how long before there is a thread in bulldogs discussion about him. So if u now go there and create one i wont have anything to wonder about lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.