Moses Mbye’s playing stats show suitability for fullback allowing Matt Frawley to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
THESE are the statistics that show Moses Mbye could become one of the NRL’s most potent fullbacks in a switch that would allow Des Hasler to keep the unknown halfback who saved his Bulldogs career.

Hasler will again have to produce a masterstroke this week with long-term playmaking project Mbye due back from suspension in a return that could result in Matt Frawley being dumped back to the NSW Cup.

In his first NRL match, Frawley steered the Bulldogs to an against-the-odds win over the Broncos with the rookie No. 7 securing more repeat sets on Thursday night than Mbye and Josh Reynolds have managed the entire season.

Facing another must-win match against the struggling Knights at Newcastle on Friday night, Hasler will be forced to take a positional gamble to keep both Frawley and Mbye in the team.

Despite calls from fans and experts to move Mbye to No. 9 at the expense of Michael Lichaa, statistics obtained by The Sunday Telegraph show Mbye could be converted into a top-flight fullback.

One of the fastest players at the Bulldogs over 40m, the 23-year-old made 1,753 running metres last season and broke the line 10 times in a show of his destructive running game.

Mbye ran an average of 196m a match in 2016.

In comparison, NSW contending No. 7 Adam Reynolds ran 669 metres in 2016 for an average of 91m per game.

The South Sydney prodigy only broke the line once.

Despite playing a position where his first option is to pass not run, Mbye’s running statistics also compare well to the NRL’s leading fullbacks.

Mbye’s stats show he could hold his own at fullback. Pic: Gregg Porteous
He led Josh Dugan for line-breaks last season and trailed his average running metres (314m) by only 118m a match despite the NSW fullback’s numerous kick returns and dummy-half danger area runs.

Greg Alexander, the original halfback to be converted to a fullback, declared Mbye was not a halfback and should be switched to the back.

“There is no reason he couldn’t be a good fullback and there is no doubt he is not a genuine half,’’ Alexander said.

“He doesn’t dictate where the teams goes or play like a traditional half. He doesn’t have that touch. He is also not a ballplayer who will run to the line and take a shot.

Matt Frawley was in control against the Bulldogs and forced repeat sets. Pic: Gregg Porteous
“Basically he is a runner and a good runner. That means he could turn into a good fullback. He is quick and he has great footwork. We saw that against Manly when he made a fantastic line-break. His footwork is exceptional. There is no reason why he couldn’t be a fullback.’’

Mbye’s career statistics also support a backline move for the player anointed Trent Hodkinson’s playmaking replacement when the former NSW No. 7 signed with the Newcastle Knights.

Mbye’s running statistics are far more impressive than his kick and pass numbers.

In 61 games Mbye has only averaged 6.7 kicks a match for an average of 186m while forcing just 28 dropouts in his NRL career.

Alexander also said the Bulldogs needed to retain Frawley following his role in the club’s second win of the year.

“I think they need to keep Frawley,’’ Alexander said.

“He looks like a player that has played there all his life. A half needs to dictate to play and that is not Mbye’s game.’’

Frawley earned five repeat sets on Thursday night and the Bulldogs had only managed three in the first four rounds.

Kenya

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really hope this happens.
Will also signal whether Des has the flexibility as a coach.

Persisting with Mbye as a 7 is frustrating - here's hoping.

Question: "One of the fastest at the club over 40m."
Who would be quicker or as quick?

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Question: "One of the fastest at the club over 40m."
Who would be quicker or as quick?
Bmoz maybe but he would've lost some speed after those injuries, and maybe even guys like Montoya and Philips.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets face it mybe will be straight back into the starting line up so imo i would like to see mybe start at 7, frawley on the bench in place of elliot. After 25-30 min frawley comes on for lichaa which would then push mybe to 9 and frawley finish the game at 7, at about the 60th minute bring lichaa back on for a backrower and keep mybe out there in a roaming roll. This idea keeps the opposition guessing and keeps us more dangerous attacking wise.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He could easily handle the offensive side but who knows how he would go defensively. Taking bombs under pressure, organising the defence, positioning at the back, etc are all vital things that he has never done at a top level. Pretty sure the last time he played fb was just before he joined us, don't remember seeing him at fb durinf any 20s games.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
wont happen , Des is to stubborn to make Mbye play fullback.

He could have done it 2 years ago if he wanted when we were really looking for a fullback..not that we have stopped looking.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He could easily handle the offensive side but who knows how he would go defensively. Taking bombs under pressure, organising the defence, positioning at the back, etc are all vital things that he has never done at a top level. Pretty sure the last time he played fb was just before he joined us, don't remember seeing him at fb durinf any 20s games.

when Barba can learn how to catch bombs, anyone can.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
when Barba can learn how to catch bombs, anyone can.
Barba had good hands though, he just buckled under pressure.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Abbey has made a few errors so far but apart from the Broncs Try he had a good game..

Mbye shouldnt be halfback but I dont mind persisting with Abbey at fullback

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is the best period to test it out as we'll enter a gauntlet come round 9.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
wont happen , Des is to stubborn to make Mbye play fullback.

He could have done it 2 years ago if he wanted when we were really looking for a fullback..not that we have stopped looking.
I don't know why they call him the mad scientist, the only unusual thing he's ever done was put T-rex in the half's in 2014 when both of them were out because of SOO.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been saying this, only the article puts pretty stats around it. But tbh, if Bellamy wanted him, chances are the dude is a genuine half just not a Cooper Cronk type. I say we try Frawley/mbye.

Abbey doesn't deserved to be dropped.. the kid is progressing. If any of these people bothered to watch other games, most fullbacks produce errors... Moylan did a few today, valentine fucked up and I've seen Coote do it more than enough. Fuck even slater butchered a bomb today. If we wanted reliability with no flash, we should just leave hoppa there.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd have mbye at hooker
He can tackle big guys easily as they are less agile and he can run from dummy half as he has great footwork and acceleration.

He's a hooker in my books.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I called for mbye to be a fullback post barba. an off-season of training should sharpen his skills and his endurance and the rest comes through trial and error.

But it's the wrong time to throw him in. I doubt he has spent any time training at fullback for atleast 3-4 seasons.

Facts of the matter are mbye isn't a half back. He isn't even a decent 5/8. He is a natural runner (prime attribute of a fullback). He had a decent passing game but isn't a player to set up things. With a decent controlling half and a running 5/8 mbye could be revolutionary at fullback, his speed and crisp passing would wreck havoc on wrap around plays or sweeping movements. Even as a 3rd choice kicker he could put some valuable grubbers or clearing kicks in if the halves are under pressure.

The kid is a back. He could possibly make a decent hooker because of his speed and his passing. But unfortunately for us and for des he ain't a halfback. Just hope he won't persist with him there for the next 4 years.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mbye should be trialed at fullback in NSW cup first and if he goes alright chuck him in the position at first grade level.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let him come back via NSW cup. Or possibly give him the extra bench spot that we currently see go to a passenger most weeks. I think the forwards we've played off the bench haven't earned a demotion though.

Frawley deserves another week at least (I'd prefer he stay longer based on his kicking game). He showed a pretty cool head on debut and i'd like to see if he keeps our side playing calmly over a prolonged period.

Abbey has had teething problems with a couple of things. Has been out of position occasionally and didn't compete for a couple of high balls. But he does seem to get involved which is my big criticism of Mbye. I'd hate for Mbye to just change seats and become a passenger in a differently numbered jumper.

Lee at times worries me. He's mostly been a diamonds player but we do see some rocks from him too. I'd persist with him though. He doesn't look out of place, probably just needs a little more time to hopefully sort out the few issues he has. I'd have Hoppa as the next choice at centre on either side covering for Lee or Morris if injury strikes.

No complaints about Montoya. I think he has a big future.

Lichaa is doing well this year. He's playing like he said he wanted to in an interview when he arrived at the club and dumping him for someone thats only played minimal time at hooker would be a poor decision at this stage. If we were to groom Mbye as a hooker i'd do it in the lower grades

The Morris brothers are both quality players and i'd not dump either of them to accommodate Mbye.

Before the season started i thought we were going to struggle to fill the backline, now i think we're going to struggle to decide who is most deserving of their position.

Status
Not open for further replies.