Not open for further replies.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A better tactic is the short kick-off when they drill it toward the sideline really low.

This I think is a high percentage play - I saw someone do it last week - Brooks I think?

Great tactic.
Brook kicked the ball into the grandstand the previous kick though lol.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a testament to our defence and and sends a strong message to the opposition to come get some

Like button
Remembering the Roosters scored 28 points against our supposed great defence. We were horrible at times defensively. I'm not as convinced. We played a depleted Storm in extremely poor conditions and an extremely poor performing Warriors side that wouldn't have broken through any team last night.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a reason no one does a short drop out unless they really need the ball. It's such a low percentage play and once teams wise up to it, it will really start costing us points and field position.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Remembering the Roosters scored 28 points against our supposed great defence. We were horrible at times defensively. I'm not as convinced. We played a depleted Storm in extremely poor conditions and an extremely poor performing Warriors side that wouldn't have broken through any team last night.
We have conceded 9 tries in the matches so far or 3 on avg per game. Of the 9 ....5 were from dinky kicks or bombs.

Defensively we are sound if anything our defence against kicks needs work

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
So what would it take for you to enjoy a win and get excited? Obviously the first win in 6 months doesnt get you going. Depleted storm? How so? If Smith and Cronk play, they are full strength.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's ok occasionally,the good teams will punish us if it doesn't come off.
I still prefer a really long kick and our players running up hard
And in a straight line
Just have to be smart about it

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The first one was a half asses effort. It dropped around the 30m line and none of our players were challenging it.

I have no idea wtf that was about.
Mbye sliced it

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Aside from the first 15 minutes we dominated field position vs storm

Roosters after 10 mins we had a MAJOR reshuffle because we had no one to replace our backs on the bench

Warriors had a shit load of ball, SJ did not get time to play the way he wanted, there was always someone rushing up on him, they got one try from it

For all the possession warriors had, they were still attacking fine, and only really got one try, Reynolds should have toed that ball out

Reaction score
i wouldn't be too keen to use it against teams good enough to keep us pinned at the wrong end of the field.
losing 10 or 15 mins gametime stuck in your own quarter will cost us against a quality team.
if only we had a good long kicking game to get out of trouble

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like it but i would also like to try a fast drop out rather than waiting around so long...i have thought this for a while and think it would catch teams off guard as well

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Brook kicked the ball into the grandstand the previous kick though lol.
Ha ha but to be fair that was a "high" short re-start, the low and hard kick-off toward the sideline is the way to go.

Having a soccer background, I would be doing this as often as possible, it would also change the way players (opposition) are placed on the field and could lead to other opportunities...

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think these drop outs are deliberate the kicking games are just that bad in the team. kick offs, conversions, general play all terrible

Reactions: DT

Royy

Previously roy18
Reaction score
I like it but I think we need to mix it up with some long kicks as well, opposition teams will be catching on now that we've been doing it consistently in the opening 3 rounds.

Reactions: DT

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
i wouldn't be too keen to use it against teams good enough to keep us pinned at the wrong end of the field.
losing 10 or 15 mins gametime stuck in your own quarter will cost us against a quality team.
if only we had a good long kicking game to get out of trouble
If the team is good enough to pin us down in our 20, it wont matter if we kick short or long they will still have a fifth tackle in our twenty either way.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like it, shows things are changing at the dogs but I think they would be better off rolling a wobbly kick towards the sideline if they really want it back.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The short line drop out can work but it but only if it is a set play and the side knows when its going to be on.

IMO five things are necessary for it to work:
  • It must be at a set distance
  • There must be hang time for our guys to get under it
  • There must be designated players to take the ball or knock it back
  • All other players must be ready take a loose ball
  • It must be practised at training
If all this is done we should have a fair amount of success. When it fails we must be ready to belt the shit out of the attacking side to give them the idea that they aren't wanted there.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2 were from brenko lee. Letting the ball sail into the hands of Daniel toupo then trying to scratch at the ball.
Then just watching the ball go past him for toupo again to score another try.

Status
Not open for further replies.