Grub reveals Dogs deal, Origin shunning

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
AS Josh Reynolds kicks off contract talks with Canterbury, the combative five-eighth has declared his desperation to stay in both blue and white and reclaim a sky blue NSW Origin jumper.

Reynolds is one of a number of big name halves off contract at the end of the season, with the Bulldogs havingrecently been linked to Wests Tigers star Mitchell Moses.

Should a deal be struck with Moses or any other half, it will no doubt put a question mark over the Reynolds’ future, particularly with teammate and halfback Moses Mbye on the Bulldogs’ books until the end of 2020.

“Yeah, we’ve started talking,” Reynolds told foxsports.com.au.

“Obviously I want to know what’s going on, but I let (Bulldogs CEO) Raelene Castle, Des (Hasler) and my manager sort out all that stuff.

“It’s a cliche answer, but I just want to keep doing what I’m doing, keep playing good footy — that’s been my motto from the word go.

“I’m not going to worry about ‘how much this, how much that and how much he’s on’, I just want to play footy and it’ll all sort itself out.”

The 27-year-old local junior made his NRL debut with the Bulldogs in 2011 and has gone to make 121 appearances for the club.

For someone who has blue and white coursing through his veins, Reynolds dreads the thought of having to depart Belmore.

“I’d hate to leave the Dogs,” he says.

“It’s where I grew up, I love it there. It’s what I’m about, I feel I fit the culture really well.

“I love everyone there.

“I’d hate to leave, but it’s for them to decide.”

Reynolds has played in four Origin matches, three of those coming in the Blues’ victorious 2014 campaign.

But despite being the first NSW five-eighth to play in a series winning side since Braith Anasta in 2005, he never got the chance to defend the shield.

“Oh definitely,” Reynolds says when asked whether he still has Origin aspirations.

“I’ll never forget the day when we took the shield away from Queensland.

“It’s a very special part of my football career and I’d definitely love to get back there and do it again.

“Who wouldn’t want to? But then again, I’m not thinking about it now, I’m just going to let my footy do the talking.”

Reynolds admits he’s been disappointed his name has been absent from the Origin conversation the past two seasons.

He’ll be using part of that as motivation throughout the upcoming season.

“It’s funny you know, at the start I was disappointed, who wouldn’t be?” he says.

“You won the series, but don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t playing the best footy, but I thought I might’ve got the nod.

“Ever since then my name hasn’t been tossed around, I don’t feel I’ve been setting the world on fire but I thought every now and again it might’ve been tossed up.

“In the end, it wasn’t meant to be so it just gives me some incentive to go harder and take that step up and I feel that’s the only thing you can do.

“You know in yourself, even if your name isn’t getting tossed around, you’ll know in yourself whether you should be."

Last edited by a moderator:

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont rate Grub but Daley was a fuckwitt for leaving him out. One of the worst calls I have ever seen and I was glad they lost. Well maybe not the worst but it just reeked of good old boys club.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Reynolds but heart and passion aren't enough to win you a premiership.

I don't get why people overlook his lack of talent and silly things he does because he has passion.

Just my opinion but I'd move him on along with the Morris boys if they get reinjured, Hoppa if he doesn't want to play Sundays plus some of the useless forwards and look to rebuild.

Malla

Reaction score
Hopefully we keep him. Even if or when we sign someone that will do better in the halves, he has the type of versatility to come off the bench as a utility or even play hooker. He's big for our team, as much as sometimes we hate to admit it.

Reactions: DT

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Reynolds but heart and passion aren't enough to win you a premiership.

I don't get why people overlook his lack of talent and silly things he does because he has passion.

Just my opinion but I'd move him on along with the Morris boys if they get reinjured, Hoppa if he doesn't want to play Sundays plus some of the useless forwards and look to rebuild.
Might want to watch 95 gf again.

KLil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He can do it .. I have a lot of faith in him .

Its josh Reynolds year ( year of the rooster too ;) )
The best of Reynolds is yet to come. Slow to mature means his best footy will come at the back end of his career.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon he would go well partnering hunt at ST George

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to Zero Tackle Reynolds is on $475K per season with the Bulldogs. Its just my opinion but if the Dogs do sign up Mitchell Moses or any other half/five eighth The Grub will still be a Bulldog.

Why? Because Reynolds has got a rap sheet that doesn't look real good on his CV. He turns 28 on 13th April is injury prone and still a brain snapper. So at the"mature" age of 28 and his short comings to go with it I can't see a club rushing up to pay around $475K for his signature.

Now, having said why The Grub won't be going anywhere I can say I'm real glad he'll be staying at home. On his day Josh Reynolds is the closest thing we've got to a game breaker; I just hop he has a lot of "his days".

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
According to Zero Tackle Reynolds is on $475K per season with the Bulldogs. Its just my opinion but if the Dogs do sign up Mitchell Moses or any other half/five eighth The Grub will still be a Bulldog.

Why? Because Reynolds has got a rap sheet that doesn't look real good on his CV. He turns 28 on 13th April is injury prone and still a brain snapper. So at the"mature" age of 28 and his short comings to go with it I can't see a club rushing up to pay around $475K for his signature.

Now, having said why The Grub won't be going anywhere I can say I'm real glad he'll be staying at home. On his day Josh Reynolds is the closest thing we've got to a game breaker; I just hop he has a lot of "his days".
Give him 200k and he can be an impact player on the bench.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Even though I'm not Reynolds biggest supporter he should have been in the origin squad. They win the series for the first time in what was it 9 years and they drop the half and pick the ones that lost the previous 8

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love the guy but i reckon he is better suited as an impact player coming off the bench.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What Reynolds really needs is a 1/2 who makes a contribution. Maybe Cleeland might be that guy.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Those saying he has no skills are you serious. He single handedly won a few games for us last year through sheer determination and know how. He knows where he needs to be at the right times. You do not play Rep or play 120 odd games of First grade with no skill. He plays well avove his weight. He isnt the flashiest guys running around, but c'mon.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
What Reynolds really needs is a 1/2 who makes a contribution. Maybe Cleeland might be that guy.
Cleeland is the best option we have, But he will never get a go. Even if he does he will be tied down.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those saying he has no skills are you serious. He single handedly won a few games for us last year through sheer determination and know how. He knows where he needs to be at the right times. You do not play Rep or play 120 odd games of First grade with no skill. He plays well avove his weight. He isnt the flashiest guys running around, but c'mon.
I agree with your comments,the fact that he was good enough to play
Origin and hold a first grade position speaks for itself.
He is the most competitive player in our squad,josh will be super pumped
This year and beleave his game skills will be pivotal in 2017

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Might want to watch 95 gf again.
You're not seriously comparing Lamb and Polla Mounter to Reynolds are you?

Yes that team played with heart and passion and for each other but there were also some very talented players in that group.

Status
Not open for further replies.