DOGS STAR BACKS COACH AS D-DAY LOOMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nathan Ryan and Dan Walsh
FOX SPORTS
CANTERBURY enforcer David Klemmer has sprung to the defence of his coach, calling on his teammates to take responsibility for a disappointing season.

The Daily Telegraph reported on Tuesday that the Bulldogs have called a board meeting for Friday to discuss the future of Des Hasler.

The meeting comes after months of rumblings that sections of the board were unhappy with the coach, who commands a salary of around $1.2 million a season.

The Bulldogs finished the season in the top eight but bowed out of the finals in week one, after suffering a 28-12 loss to Penrith.

According to Klemmer, the coach isn’t to blame.

The 22-year-old backed his club coach from inside Australian camp, where he is part of the Test side and placed the blame on the team for their poor performances.

David Klemmer of the Bulldogs is tackled. Source: Getty Images David Klemmer of the Bulldogs is tackled. Source: Getty Images
“It’s pretty unfair,” Klemmer told foxsports.com.au of the criticism of Hasler.

“(Des) gives the playing group everything all the tools and everything we need. We haven’t been performing well on the field, as you can see.

“As a playing group, we’ve got to perform.

“It’s the team’s fault, not Des’s. We’ve got to come together and perform better next year.”

Speculation has run rampant in recent weeks that Hasler is on the nose and that has only intensified following the departure of several high-profile staff members from Belmore.

Klemmer said he is unaware of unrest within the club but has backed the board to reach the best outcome for the club’s future.

Coach Des Hasler with his assistants during training. Source: News Corp Australia Coach Des Hasler with his assistants during training. Source: News Corp Australia
“I only hear that in the media, I’m not too sure what’s going on at the club,” he said before the Kangaroos relocated camp to Perth on Sunday.

“But if that’s how the club decides to move forward then you’ve just got to go in there and train and perform. That’s the club’s decision.”

Part of the criticism aimed at Hasler is a result of the team’s attack.

The Bulldogs were accused of lacking direction at times, while their halves came under fire late in the season for not commanding the ball or producing the right plays.

There were several times in attacking territory where a forward was first receiver and failed to look for a pass when attacking the line.

David Klemmer celebrates a try with his teammates. Source: News Corp Australia David Klemmer celebrates a try with his teammates. Source: News Corp Australia
But Klemmer denied Moses Mbye and Josh Reynolds were at fault.

Instead, he said it was the responsibility of more senior players to help the duo execute the game plane.

“I thought our halves went alright, to be honest,” Klemmer said.

“But it’s a team game and if we’re not going well, then it’s hard for them to go well. It’s not entirely their fault but it is a different structure we play with, I thought they were doing alright with it, with what they were working with. It is a game plan that works, we just couldn’t execute it.

“For Moses controlling the game, he was getting frustrated ... but we all were. It comes back to the team. We haven’t been making his job easy, that’s how I see it.

“We’re not helping him with where we get to in a game.”

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What the fuck else, is he going to say ?? "It's all des' fault. He's fucked. We need a change. ?"
There's still a chance he'll be coaching us next season.

turvey mortimer

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What the fuck else, is he going to say ?? "It's all des' fault. He's fucked. We need a change. ?"
There's still a chance he'll be coaching us next season.
Klem is the sort of guy that Hasler will kill if he stays. Running one out every hit up into 3-4 defenders and getting whacked week in week out. Also where is his development ie: passing the ball, he's got much more talent than just being a battering ram. Shit coaching and game plan Desmond.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol dick day

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can tell hasler had plans for klem to play 7 next year some of the plays this year klem got it like a half then passed it along the backline #fuckoffdes

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can tell hasler had plans for klem to play 7 next year some of the plays this year klem got it like a half then passed it along the backline #fuckoffdes
Yeah, Klemmer was slowly but surely standing more flat footed, running slower with hit ups, developing an under 9's passing game where passes were thrown robotically out the back not troubling any defensive line and only insured the defensive line had more time to determine what our halves would do - des plodification

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
As much as I love Klem, its pretty much the same regurgitated shit we have been hearing all fucking season. Hasler has managed to kill of the clubs culture, junior development, produced nothing on the field and yet managed to earn in excess of 1 million dollars a season? Its about time the club grew a spine and a set of balls and put Hasler on notice.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
But Klemmer denied Moses Mbye and Josh Reynolds were at fault.

Instead, he said it was the responsibility of more senior players to help the duo execute the game plane.

“I thought our halves went alright, to be honest,” Klemmer said.

“But it’s a team game and if we’re not going well, then it’s hard for them to go well. It’s not entirely their fault but it is a different structure we play with, I thought they were doing alright with it, with what they were working with. It is a game plan that works, we just couldn’t execute it.

“For Moses controlling the game, he was getting frustrated ... but we all were. It comes back to the team. We haven’t been making his job easy, that’s how I see it.

“We’re not helping him with where we get to in a game.”
David, David, David, I guess there is not much else he could have said really. Sounds like he has been brainwashed if he thinks it was a game plan that works.

Some of our stats seemed to point to the fact that the tactics we had were working but really they weren't. Our habit of dying with the ball on the last tackle and also the pedestrian impactless hit ups of some of our forwards looked good in the statistical wash-up at the end of the year, but the other teams had them covered at all times. We made the eight but we were the least impressive and constructive of the sides in the finals.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
I think klemmer just saying what the media wants to hear not what he really thinks.

Reactions: GDR

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If you're in our first grade side you'll never be dropped so its not surprising the players would still back Des.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
"There were several times in attacking territory where a forward was first receiver and failed to look for a pass when attacking the line"

This is the play that i just can't get out of my head. Not only did it make me think Des can't coach but i honestly wondered if he was in fact a complete nutter based on his insistence on this play.

Weirdest shit ever.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
when i lived in India i thought Mumbai was the cleanest city in the world.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same robot answer as they all said after every loss in the post Cowboy-smashing slide. Yet nothing changed. Either its true and the players didn't respect Des enough to anything about it, or its bullshit and Des didn't have it in him to turn it around.

Either way, he's got to go.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As Des-Day looms the players are also scared, the club is sending a message that it's time to step up and mount a serious challenge for the premiership.

Status
Not open for further replies.