Round 5 Team - Reynolds In, Mbye Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hasler is the man. If he has faith in Reynolds over Mbye at this stage then it's pretty fair to assume that he's watched enough footage to have been convinced that Reynolds offers more.

It's entirely possible that the return of Reynolds is a smokescreen, but if he does play I'm willing to bet that he'll use his niggle tactics to throw Isaac Luke off his game, which in turn will really screw with the ability of the Souths pack to come close to matching ours. I despise Luke like Marley hates Reynolds, however i will admit that Luke has ability. I actually look at Luke as being similar in many ways to Reynolds. Both can do some things that motivate their team-mates in great ways, but they're both one angry pill away from taking things too far and giving away some penalties. I actually think that Reynolds offers a lot more though. His running game is good and at stages his support play can be sensational while his kicking game has slowly gone from average to strong. I think Reynolds still has improvement in him and given his determination to succeed i'd like to see if he makes the most of the opportunity to let Hasler know that he's still worthy of being our #6 after Mbye has shown his potential.

Mbye has played some decent football in the absence of Reynolds, but hasn't been as perfect as a few people would like to make out. I've seen him put some below par kicks in and at times he's opted to make runs on the fourth tackle when he should be keeping himself in a position to be one of two kicking options on the last. People critique Reynolds for making runs, but fail to see that Mbye has taken some poorly timed runs over the last few rounds that make it perfectly obvious that Hodkinson will be the receiver on the next kick and thus put some pressure on him. It's sad that people are willing to criticise the fact that Hodkinson never took a field goal attempt when he was under pressure from a flying Taupau last week, while they fail to notice that he used a set play that he and Reynolds have also used to give Mbye a pressure free attempt. Credit where credit is due really. Many halves in the game don't have the presence of mind or the selfless attitude to have these set plays planned. Hodkinson didn't win the game with his own field goal but he made it pretty ****ing easy for Mbye to take an uninterrupted shot.

Mbye has not really done much to warrant being dropped, but i don't think that he has really stood up and demanded that Hasler keep him in the side either. I don't know if the season will end with Hokk and Reynolds as our halves pairing, but I have faith in their ability to do the job if Hasler decides that they're who he wants to persist with. As a Bulldogs fan, all i can say is that you can love or hate anyone we have in the 17 at any given time, but the best thing to hope for is that they perform whenever they put on their jersey.

Anyway it looks like a strong team we are sending out this week regardless of the fact that we've had 10+ pages of debate about whether our halves are adequate. I think one of the most interesting match-ups for this game will be Lichaa vs Luke though given the fact that Lichaa has named Luke as a player who he tried to mould some of his game on. Who do you guys think will perform better? I have a feeling that Luke will have a shit week.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was involved up to my eyeballs and still stand by what I wrote (I believe I've been proven more than a little correct with Lichaa's form and the way we now play btw) but that's past history. As I said - the great thing about Forum's are opinions. Agree or disagree doesn't matter, it's the debate that counts.
I think Lichaa is a good replacement and has potential but your proof is largely anectodotal. Ennis has the stats to prove he is better

Last edited by a moderator:

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Lichaa is a good replacement and has potential but your proof is largely anectodotal. Ennis has the stats to prove he is better
How are Ennis's stats any better than Lichaa's this year? Not to mention Lichaa offers a crapload more in attack and is equal in defense.

The only thing Ennis has over Lichaa is his character, leadership and ability to put the opposition off their game, that isn't measured by any stat whatsoever

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Honestly you're giving me and other the f***** shits with your rubbish.
You worshipping the ground Hodkinson walks on does exactly the same thing. You have an inability to see when Hodkinson has a bad game and inability to accept criticisms about him.

Constant negativity. Constant "I know it all" attitude. Support the damn team.
Everyone here supports the team, speaking of "I know it all" attitude, you display this consistently. Pot calling the kettle black material.

1. You ARE NOT Des Hasler. You have no clue, like I or anyone else on here. What you post is NOT ALWAYS FACTS.
2. Say something POSITIVE. It's fans like you embarrassing the club.
3. Hodkinson was gold. He was always going to make Origin after Pearce was ruled out. Whether Reynolds was there or not. Reynolds still had some very mixed performances before Origin. Hokko was very solid and a proven match-winner.
1. You have consistently emphasised your opinion as fact. Before you go calling out anyone else on this, please take note of what you do
2. As far as embarrassments go, you're clearly on the negative end.
3. This part is the most hilarious part, Hodkinson and Reynolds made Origin on the back of Pearce being a retard, despite the fact that our halves showed absolutely nothing in attack in Origin, you still continue parrot the belief that Hodkinson is a "match-winner" and continue to deny that he has absolutely nothing in attack. NSW won Origin on the back of their defence, so unless you're saying our halves contributed the majority of NSW's defence last season you're being deluded.

STOP THE HATE. You negative piece of trash. You have no idea. You judge a player after 4 rounds. Make fun of his knees. Hey mate, he can run faster than you, has been more successful then you, richer then you and defs a better bloke. He has had no pre-season and constantly changing between Mbye and Reynolds as his halves partner as well as having to build connections with a new hooker. You might think I'm all for Hok, well I'm not. He isn't playing great but geez he isn't playing that bad either. Give him time. Look at things past his on-field performances.
Unless you've seen said poster in real life, how on earth do you judge how fast said person is, or how much money he makes and how do you judge "success" and given you also have no clue who the poster is how on earth do you tell he is a "better bloke." First grade is not a place for people who are injured, Hodkinson hasn't been that bad? Name one other current first grade half that passes to a PROP on the 5th tackle? Honestly you need to get your eyes checked, Hodkinson was pathetic last game. Look at things past his on-field performances? Wait are you f*cking for real? He is a FIRST GRADE PLAYER, people are attacking him based on his PERFORMANCES for our team. He can be an upstanding bloke but if he doesn't perform he's going to cop it. You're utterly ridiculous

FYI Hodkinson's performances post Origin have been nothing short of spastic minus a few clutch plays here and there. If he's carrying an injury, GET F*CKING TREATMENT, playing First Grade with injury then using it as an excuse for poor performances is pathetic. If he's injured he needs to stop playing and recuperate.

ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Stop your rubbish. Cheers.
Yes enough is enough. You clearly need to stop your rubbish. Hypocrite of the highest order.

People make fun of me because I'm all for Hok and positive. But you're just negative. FFS we are 4th and last years grand-finalists and have an exciting young team. Imagine if you were a Sharks fan.
People make fun of you because you have utterly ridiculous comments, you're absolutely hostile to anyone who disagrees with you and you basically insult or personally attack anyone who has a polar opposite opinion to you. Being runnere up and being a wooden spooner has absolutely no difference in the grand scheme of things, you will be forgotten eventually.

Bandwagon supporter. And that's my opinion, but it's probably fact.
Again with the personal attacks. So anyone who doesn't agree with you is a bandwagoner? There have been plenty of people who disagree on this issue but none of them have been half as hostile as you. Even the most argumentative fans from both sides have refrained from judging the poster, minus the occasional outburst.

For you to judge a poster based on his opinions is ridiculous.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
^^^^ great summary I bet you I could break it all down to one word though lol

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Whilst I wouldn't go as far as Bulldogs_fan, some of the constant negativity is getting boring and tiring tbh.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's done enough since 2011 to deserve a shot @ the 6 this year, If hes forms rubbish in say 5 rounds or so then its a diff story.
Sounds to me you're picking him on reputation. And I reckon that kind of selection is best reserved for a handful of players ie thurstons, smiths etc. recent outings has shown reynolds has been on the decline. Maybe if he could arrest his brain explosions and crab walking... Then maybe it'd be okay.

I just think mbye's time is now and he needs to be given a proper chance to build those combos and further cement himself. Whether it be at the expense of hokko or reynolds, I don't care. Mbye has shown more natural ability than both.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Sounds to me you're picking him on reputation. And I reckon that kind of selection is best reserved for a handful of players ie thurstons, smiths etc. recent outings has shown reynolds has been on the decline. Maybe if he could arrest his brain explosions and crab walking... Then maybe it'd be okay.

I just think mbye's time is now and he needs to be given a proper chance to build those combos and further cement himself. Whether it be at the expense of hokko or reynolds, I don't care. Mbye has shown more natural ability than both.
I still think jr and Mbye will be our halfs seems Hodko has his head somewhere else

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How are Ennis's stats any better than Lichaa's this year? Not to mention Lichaa offers a crapload more in attack and is equal in defense.

The only thing Ennis has over Lichaa is his character, leadership and ability to put the opposition off their game, that isn't measured by any stat whatsoever
you can't compare the pair

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The named side means nothing, Mbye may still make the bench as we could still use a utility.
Oh and the Commies can stick their bugs up their asses.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
the team list could just be a cut n paste

,I'm sure they said round 7 for Reynolds and Why would Des want to bring him in just when Mbye is starting to ignite.?

Fruitty Pebbles

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hmmm...

Has Bulldogs Fan never seen one?
Will GlenDoggies think its inappropriate?
Does it sound like Hunt?

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm stoked Reynolds is back!

I see Reynolds as our future, he has the potential to set games on fire (for the good and the bad, unfortunately), As a supporter, i would much rather have someone who can shift the landscape of the game (either positively or negatively) in an instant, as opposed to a player who just takes it slow and steady (Hodko)..

My idealistic pairing would be Reynolds/Mbye, I just feel as though it would work.. I have absolutely no evidence to support it, but i feel with our big pack, 2 more creative halves would be a better balance than 1 creative hothead (Reynolds) and 1 tortoise (Hodko)..

As someone on here said, I feel that its due in part to Hodko's lack of creativity that Reynolds feels he needs to spark things in attack, which contributes to his brain farts..

Anyways, good thread, its definitely got the Kennel barking!

Status
Not open for further replies.